Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Brake Recall Resource Center - Updated Today!

The Brake Recall Resource Center has just been updated today.

Workhorse remains on track and true to their statement that they are trying to keep that information late breaking. Just today we see that a new link has been established rather than navigating through the menu options. The appearance of the page has been changed as well.

Just crank in: www.workhorse.com/BrakeResourceCenter and you will be taken directly to the "BRRC."

If there is any other information that you would find useful in this resource please let me know and I'll get that passed upstream. No I don't know exactly when the recall will start however from what I have heard, Workhorse is working on a rough timeline "document" for us and should have something pretty soon.

- ■ -
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update. I was hoping Workhorse would start a little PR work. Maybe it will ease some of the tensions.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Maybe it will ease some of the tensions.
I'm hoping that you're right!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know!

I know you'all will be glad when this all over and done with!

I for one, thank you for all your work.

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Too me, the most mystifying part of this is why some units have problems and others don't?

The naysayers say just wait and it will happen, but many (like me) just keep rolling (and braking) along...hard to figure...
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver

Thanks for the input and update. WCC in the BRRC says final remedy has been determined. I know dates aren't available but what is the final remedy? Is it steel pistons?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB54 View Post
The naysayers say just wait and it will happen, but many (like me) just keep rolling (and braking) along...hard to figure...
Well, the naysayers are correct. Just coming out of stop and go south of Atlanta and experienced mushy mushy brakes. Stopped at an Fj about 10 miles later and no issue since then. Not fun. Hope the return trip is uneventful. I called WCC special 800 # and got mailbox. no call back yet. Not very reasuring.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
..... what is the final remedy? Is it steel pistons?
scoutmastr, I posted this in the "Latest News About Bosch Brakes"

"Now here's some good News .... "The Fix Is In!" The engineering changes that have been brought to bear on the newly designed caliper are 3 fold.
  • The new caliper bore has been enlarged by only ten thousandths of an inch however those machining changes have been made.
  • The caliper piston as been resized to accommodate the change in the caliper bore again the changes are into the ten thousandths of an inch of dimension.
  • The pistons themselves have been reformulated and are being produced using a different Phenolic compound. The primary benefit of the new piston is that it has been made to have significantly higher resistance to absorbing moisture.
The newly designed calipers have been extensively tested using laboratory procedures that cycle the materials on an accelerated schedule. Over 200 samples were tested. Bosch has stated that that the fix has been verified.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #9

based on this news, I would assume that fixes may start sometime this summer? I am currently at lazydays getting brake fluid flushed for about $300. Ouch. At least their service waiting room is top notch. These are the kind of expenses that we RVers shouldn't have to incur. Thanks DriVer for keeping us posted. You are way better than WCC's staff.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandHo View Post
I am currently at lazydays getting brake fluid flushed for about $300. Ouch. At least their service waiting room is top notch.
Ouch, indeed. That seems high by more than double. That waiting room must be paneled with gold
So far, no brake issues with our coach, but we drive on carefully with our fingers crossed. When I finally take it in for new calipers, I am considering buying new rotors and pads so I have a new system. What about the replacement rotors that Hendersons sells? My mechanic said my rotors looked OK last year, but after reading about cracks on the OEM ones, maybe replacement is the best route. At 27k miles, would Workhorse replace just the calipers and reinstall the pads over the old rotors?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to the local WH service center this morning to make an appointment to take my unit in to have the brakes checked even though I'd done that a year ago. Having a occasion with a hot brake, wanted to have it checked out. In talking with the service rep, he made the comment that the recall is suppose to be this summer. I kind of stunned him when I said, "yeah, but no one has said in what year." I got kind of a silly grin and him said, "I'd never thought about it like that." Any way, he also said they would start with the worse case's first and work from there. Guess that means if one has not had any problems, they'll go to the end of the line regardless.

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandHo View Post
I am currently at lazydays getting brake fluid flushed for about $300. Ouch. At least their service waiting room is top notch.
I hope they still have the free lunch program going!

Quote:
These are the kind of expenses that we RVers shouldn't have to incur.
Thank you for your kind words. After the recall is completed and we all have new calipers, I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that we can walk away with a better understanding about brake fluid, its weakness and how to make sure that it remains 100% serviceable. Once the new brake stuff is all in place a routine flush every 2 years is the least expensive thing that you can do. 4 quarts or less of fluid for about $16.00 is all one needs to invest if a person is inclined to performing this service DIY.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty too View Post
... Any way, he also said they would start with the worse case's first and work from there. Guess that means if one has not had any problems, they'll go to the end of the line regardless.
Marty, That is not the way the program is setup. It's supposed to be call the center, make an appointment and go and have the recall completed. There are no requirements as regard severity because this is a Federal Recall and each case is severe.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #14

Well... I am staying at the Rallypark, so my lunch was already free. Yeah, at $120/hr, it doesn't take long to get to $300... I can change/flush brake fluids... do it all the time for my race car. So after this event, and the brake bleed valve will have been cracked open, I can easily do a brake bleed at the beginning of each season...Told my spouse that we need to retire and drive the coach every other week so that things don't sit around absorbing moisture.

I am walking around and seeing if the gold color here in the waiting room are 'gold plated'. At least I can try to get rich while waiting and then I can get that big a$$ tag axle DP.