Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brakes

Ok, here's a good one. Just spent $2250.00 for calipers, pads, rotors and engine and transmission fluid changes. My brake pedal is still way too close to the floor to make me feel comfortable. I was told that there is an adjustment for the brake pedal, but I see nothing in the owners manual. It is a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser on a P30 or P32 chassis. Any suggestions?
dennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

If they are hydraulic brakes it sounds like there is still some air in the lines that needs to be bled out. Either way take it back to the shop that did the work I'm sure they will take care of it. I wouldn't pay any more for this service it never should have left the shop that way.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Common complaint with the P-32 chassis. There is no fix that I am aware of, just takes some getting used to.
I had one for 11 years, 4-6 inches of travel.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine slowly developed this excess travel over the first 50k miles or so. After examining the front bearing play, I advanced the crown nut one crown notch or two clockwise to remove any play that developed from initial wear-in. The pedal travel returned to normal.
Apparently the slightest wobble by the front wheels separates the calipers more than necessary, requiring more pedal travel for brake engagement.
Be careful not to tighten the bearings. Apparently there is a critical balance between bearing pre-load and bearing overheating. I don't know what it is, but I do know that free axial play is not necessary.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced calipers last year and had the same problem - after driving 30 miles (home and back) I had them bleed brakes again and all is well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have DRUMS and you did not replace them, that's the answer more than likely.. I do not know if you have drums.

Had a car with rear drums, Dealer worked on it 3 times and never figured it out, Finally I sat at my desk at work and when not actually working (My job was an "On demand" type. Some days you had lots of "Down time" other days you were tearing your hair out) I sat there and visualized the system.

Next day I went to the brake shop (NOT DEALER) and said "Mic the drums" (Measure them with a Micrometer) That fixed it, drove out of there like new.

Do not know if that applies to you.. NOTE: This was a very high millage car.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Like other suggested, it could be pad knock back due to loose bearings, or an incomplete bleed with air still in the lines. It also could be a soft brake hose (13 years is certainly with-in a typical life expectancy) or it could be a failing seal in the master cylinder. Does the pedal firm up at the end of the travel or does it always feel mushy?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are reasons for having a low pedal and NONE of them are acceptable. It should have never been delivered in that condition.

Now to those that responded by saying that is somewhat normal for that chassis. Obviously it's not for you because YOU recognized that the pedal was not normal from your previous experience with your chassis.

As stated, take it back to the dealer and have it corrected. Now when you said that the pedal was low my question is this: Is the pedal low and spongy or hard but low or at least low from what your were used to??? The solution is different for each circumstance.

You said that you got pads and calipers so you have disc brakes. The rotors are new so that means that they removed the rotors, packed the bearings and should have correctly adjusted the bearings.

1. Spongy pedal means air in the system somewhere.
2. Firm pedal but low. I'm thinking but I can't come up with a good reason for that one. If you had said that they changed the master cylinder then maybe installing a shorter push rod in the master cylinder would give you a low pedal. My guess is that you have a spongy pedal and therefore a low pedal.

Here's one more thing that you can do. Checking for correct wheel bearing adjustment is fairly simple. Raise both front wheels 1/2" off the ground using the leveling jacks. Now grab the tires at 6 and 12 and wiggle. You should feel little or no movement of the front wheel. The actual measurement would be about .003 which is about the thickness of an index card. If you feel more than a little then they didn't adjust the bearings correctly.

What ever you do I would never again use a facility that allowed me to leave their place with a low brake pedal. That is just entirely unacceptable in anybodies book.

TeJay
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

If this was done correctly on Front and you have drum brakes on rear, you may need to adjust Rear brakes ??
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the rear drums were done along with the front discs you'd be on track. He did not report that he had any service or repairs performed on the rear brakes.

TeJay
Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #11

For that kind of money I hope they did more than the front brakes I would expect those parts to be around four hundred. I hope the op comes back and let's us know what the problem was and the cure.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has disc all around. Took it back to the shop and they bled them again. Still more travel in the pedal than I like.
dennyv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes