Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
brakes 2000 Flair

Hi
Just bought a 2000 flair 30 ft. 59,000 (workhorse chassis, 4way disk,anti-lock brakes) First MH I ever driven; seems that it takes alot of pedal press. to stop it. Perhaps that's the way they are. No fluid leaks, brake pads seem to be good. power booster? Weak leg

Thanks and warm greetings to everyone.

Fred Rubio, Pasco, WA.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick w View Post
Thanks and warm greetings to everyone.
Welcome to iRV2.com.

Please do come back and visit us often.

P Series brakes have always exhibited a very high pedal and it's the nature of the beast. You will find that as you go forward in your ownership that you will find a wealth of information here about your P Series and we have many resources that will be able to assist you.

Welcome and enjoy!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fred;

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you found us. In my opinion you have found the premier Internet site for answers to your questions. Post often and share your travel adventures with us. If you have not already done so I would encourage you to go up to the New Member Check In and introduce yourself so more of our members get to know you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

frederick w:

Welcome to iRV2.com ! I also ask that you visit the Workhorse Owners forum down below in the "lifestyles" section of this forum and invite you to look further at: www.wcmc.workhorse.com

I already posted my answers to your concern over on the "other" site.

Enjoy that new coach!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

I would like to read edgray's reply. What is the other site?
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fred-

I had a P-30 for 6 years. I rebuilt all the brakes, calipers, wheel cylinders rubber lines, etc and it still took a lot of "Umph" to stop the beast. My problem was finally solved by buying a "Brake Buddy" and using it in the Saturn "toad"- this was the "full time" version of the Brake Buddy. I now have the new Brake Buddy that I can select either full or proportional braking (on the fly). The older unit (original B.B.) would do wonders for your situtation-- I guess your towing a car??
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpa View Post
I would like to read edgray's reply. What is the other site?
oldpa: rather than have you chasing all over the internet.....below is what I posted elsewhere:

""frederick:
I'm assuming you have a P32 chassis. If so, what you are describing is "normal" in that those brakes do require a lot of pedal travel (compared to other chassis) and were not known for being too powerful. Unfortunately, unless the tech can find something that needs repair or adjustment, I think you will find "it is what it is". The good news is that these brakes are not part of the infamous Workhorse brake recall for the W-20/22 series chassis.
Ed ""
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

Thanks
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a general heads up...
Don't "assume" anything regarding the brakes.

KNOW that the fluid is good (flush & fill).
KNOW that the caliper slides are lubricated and actually pulling on both pads.
KNOW that the hoses aren't swollen up from age.
KNOW that BOTH pads are wearing evenly.
KNOW that the (F&R) hubs and axles are well lubricated.

If ANY of the above are issues...
f'rinstance a sticky/frozen caliper slide not pulling so both pads wear unevenly and then the heat bakes the piston seals and the rotor (more a rear brake issue)

Or just to be sure you are OK:
NAPA #86493 = Premium Rear Rotor
NAPA#31870 =National #6358 = Rear axel shaft seal (SKF 31870)
NAPA# SE8595 = Axxis dual piston caliper rebuilt (use all 4 corners)
NAPA #SS7108M pad set =184 metallic (use all 4 corners)
CarQuest # SP9060 = Left Hose -Rear
CarQuest #SP9084 = Right Hose -Rear

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote