Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #1

Sorry it has taken so long to post this, my wife and I want to let everyone know about our good dealings with you and Brazels. Workhorse refused to warrenty the #7 cylinder chipped the piston. They stated that because we had aftermarket work done by Brazel's that negated our warrenty. To the rescue, Mike Bronzini and Brazels They did not try to repair the cylinder but replaced the whole engine. The motorhome is running great, very nice dealing with standup people and company.

Thanx for everything - Bruce and Kathleen Brandt
mustbebjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #2

Sorry it has taken so long to post this, my wife and I want to let everyone know about our good dealings with you and Brazels. Workhorse refused to warrenty the #7 cylinder chipped the piston. They stated that because we had aftermarket work done by Brazel's that negated our warrenty. To the rescue, Mike Bronzini and Brazels They did not try to repair the cylinder but replaced the whole engine. The motorhome is running great, very nice dealing with standup people and company.

Thanx for everything - Bruce and Kathleen Brandt
mustbebjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great response from Brazell's and I am proud of them!

But merely having aftermarket work done cannot void your Workhorse warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Act specifically prohibits that. Workhorse had to have some reason (and engineering judgment) to claim that the Brazell mods specifically caused the #7 piston failure. Can you be more specific about what it was (in WH' eyes, at least?)

And I hope Brazell's will challenge WH on this issue - it is critical to all owners and aftermarket products.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
who actually paid for that engine ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Brazel's carries product liability insurance just like any other after market OEM. I am sure that in the interest of customer satisfaction and to get the customer back on the road Brazel's replaced the engine and will pursue reimbursement via others means.

I have almost 20k on my UltraPower upgrade and I have my oil tested by Blackstone Labs and the reports I get are consistent with other 8.1 owners.

OBTW - I have tested almost all of the mods to UltraPower before most are ever installed on a customers system. I do not baby my coach when I drive it. If I need 4 grand to climb a hill that's where it goes. But, I do good maintenance and have my oil tested regularly.

A chipped piston, I my opinion, would not be caused by UltraPower. A burnt hole in the top of a piston MAYBE if they cranked in a load of spark advance and created a super lean condition. But you would hear pinging long before that happened and as far I know that is not an issue. I would suspect that burnt plug wire would a good suspect and that is NOT a Brazel's issue nor a Workhorse issue, but a coach manufacturer issue (bad air flow).
Old 10-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary hit the nail on the head. The more important global issue is the warranty denial by WH. Looking at the public profile of mustbebjb, I am wondering if the chassis was out of warranty and the denial was not caused by the Ultra Power. I hope Mike will respond when the time is right.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Brandt engine failed due to an intake manifold leak,this caused an instantaneous failure due to an extemely lean condition.This had ZERO to due with UltraPower,but Bruce was in a tough spot so we took care of him.Bruce had his coach programmed two years earlier without a hickup until that day.Workhorse took there stand that day & we took our's,so we stepped up.I think now that thier stance has softened a bit on UltraPower,Redlands has four or five engine down there with the same damage.Three of which were COMPLETELY stock!!

Rocky,

His coach was still within warranty!!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #8

Since there are other known failures the denial was most likely because WH and GM are still arguing over who will be responsible for the repairs. Brazel's being able to step up and handle the claim is stand-up, hopefully their product liability insurance will reimburse them.
Question for Mike, Does GM use a hypereutectic piston in the 8.1? If they do that is unfortunate because it is a known fact that hyper pistons do not like any detonation and will crack the top ring land off in a hurry.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Knebdr,

That is the exact failure the engine had & we have seen a few others.
We did'nt use our liability Insurance we just ate it & learned from it.We had the engine shipped to us and had it gone through by three engine builders.All of them said the same thing Intake manifold leak cause extremely lean condition.

I don'y know if hypereutectic's are used in the 8.1's,but I will find out and let you know.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If any of you remember how much I busted Mike's chops over UltraPower & UltraTrac when we first started this it makes you wonder why he ever offered me a job selling Brazel's products.

Here are few examples of why I became a Brazels's dealer:

Example #1
I put on a cheap tune for $150 and I got what I payed for... Half way to the 2006 IRV2 National Rally in Tenn I reinstalled my original ECM because the tune was so bad. Mike offered to buy my tune for what I paid for it and install UltraPower for the same price and the rest of the folks were paying. He could have said tough bounce and moved on. By the time I left Tenn went MN and back to Texas I was a UltraPower believer.

Example #2
I also built my own Trac Bar. Is it as good as UltraTrac? In function yes... In size no!

Mike offered me a opportunity to sell Brazel's products at my own pace. It works for me and it works for Brazel's. To that end I purchased a front and rear UltraTrac bars and installed them, as I don't sell what I don't test and/or use.

Example #3
I will be removing my Steer Safe and installing a Safety Plus when I get home. I will then be able to report what the differences are.

OBTW - I do not get these products for free. I have pay for them just like the rest of you.

The Bottom line here is... Brazel's stands behind their products and customer satisfaction is #1.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
But merely having aftermarket work done cannot void your Workhorse warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Act specifically prohibits that. Workhorse had to have some reason (and engineering judgment) to claim that the Brazell mods specifically caused the #7 piston failure. Can you be more specific about what it was (in WH' eyes, at least?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary while this is true, keep in mind the consumer will always lose. The manufacturer will take the "Sue Me" attitude and you will spend way over the repair bill in attorney fees.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Great Job at the WCMC rally Dale!!!

Did you hear anythin from WH regarding the Engine issue??
Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
... keep in mind the consumer will always lose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Fred, I think what we see here is a success story. Vehicle is on the road and the owner is rockin!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just two (or 3) comments to make in this thread

1: Someone said they carry insurance just like all the other after market folks... I strongly suspect a few of the OTHERS, carry "Fly by night" insurance (Come dark, they gone) Not the kind where you pay premiums.. (This puts Barzel's in the "GOOD" group)

2: Out of six engines with identical damage, THREE were 100% stock.. Strong argument for the problem NOT being caused by Ultra Power.

M-M does indeed require that Workhorse honor the warantee UNLESS they can prove Mike caused the problem, However they have the engineers, they have the lawyers, they pay the engneers to say "oh, Ultra Power caused the problem" and.. Who is the court going to believe? Sometimes they believe the petitioner, but it is not an easy road to travel. I have seen several examples of this in other areas.. It is truly shocking what SOME companies will do to get away with it. (NOTE: This is only the 2nd Workhorse denial I have heard of. the other one was NOT a Brazel's issue and likely was due to the after-market mods)

3: I decided that next time I have money (Which is not looking to be soon) I'm going to pay Mike a visit and have him do the upgrade. This thread is making me feel much better about that decision.. Brazel's stands behind the work. That means a LOT!!!