Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
The factory shift points are indeed strange. I especially dislike how it wants to jump down two gears when one gear would do, so you end up winding out at 4,000 rpm instead of 3,400. Sometimes it will hold that gear even if you back off the throttle. Does Brazel's transmission reprogram fix that? I'm very happy with my W-22 otherwise.
Cam,

I think you will like the ECM and TCM tune. The ECM tune gives you a few more 'mid RPM' ponies and the TCM tune makes the shifting much more to my liking. I've never noticed it shifting 2 gears!

Example:

Cruising at 62 MPH and encounter a grade. Throttle is increased to maintain speed. When throttle gets to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the transmission shifts from 5th (overdrive) to 4th and engine goes from ~2200 RPM to ~3100 RPM.

If the speed is maintained it stays in 4th until throttle is backed off to maintain 62 MPH and when manifold vacuum exceeds 5" then shifts back into 5th.

If the speed continues to fall even with WOT the transmission shifts into 3rd at about 59 MPH and engine RPM climbs to ~4200 RPM.

At WOT upshifts occur at ~4600 RPM. Part throttle up shifts are RPM and throttle position sensitive and seem to occur when RPM is high enough to support a shift AND manifold vacuum exceeds 5".

With the TCM tune I've never noticed the transmission hanging in gear at part throttle when RPM's are 4000. Under certain conditions I've noticed it hanging in gear at about 3500 RPM. But even then it doesn't last very long.

In addition, under light throttle conditions the transmission will shift into 5th at ~47 MPH vs the ~55 with the factory tune. The extra power in the engine and the revised shifting mean that 5th gear can be held much longer on mild grades without losing speed. All in all a quieter ride.

I travel almost exclusively in the Colorado Rockies. I am not shy about using WOT. I will hold WOT until I get to the top of the hill or the engine starts heating up whichever occurs first!

I installed a vacuum gauge and it is very helpful when driving rolling hills. As I encounter a grade that I think will require a downshift out of 5th I start watching the vacuum gauge. When it gets to zero I tap the throttle and the transmission immediately shifts to 4th. By doing this I can maintain speed better.

PS: Brazel's also offers a "Grade Brake" the does the shifting for you on the down grade. Something similar to the factory Allison Grade Brake offered on new Workhorse chassis or Ford's Tow-Haul mode. I don't have it so I'm not recommending it but it is something to consider.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Cam,

I think you will like the ECM and TCM tune. The ECM tune gives you a few more 'mid RPM' ponies and the TCM tune makes the shifting much more to my liking. I've never noticed it shifting 2 gears!

Example:

Cruising at 62 MPH and encounter a grade. Throttle is increased to maintain speed. When throttle gets to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the transmission shifts from 5th (overdrive) to 4th and engine goes from ~2200 RPM to ~3100 RPM.

If the speed is maintained it stays in 4th until throttle is backed off to maintain 62 MPH and when manifold vacuum exceeds 5" then shifts back into 5th.

If the speed continues to fall even with WOT the transmission shifts into 3rd at about 59 MPH and engine RPM climbs to ~4200 RPM.

At WOT upshifts occur at ~4600 RPM. Part throttle up shifts are RPM and throttle position sensitive and seem to occur when RPM is high enough to support a shift AND manifold vacuum exceeds 5".

With the TCM tune I've never noticed the transmission hanging in gear at part throttle when RPM's are 4000. Under certain conditions I've noticed it hanging in gear at about 3500 RPM. But even then it doesn't last very long.

In addition, under light throttle conditions the transmission will shift into 5th at ~47 MPH vs the ~55 with the factory tune. The extra power in the engine and the revised shifting mean that 5th gear can be held much longer on mild grades without losing speed. All in all a quieter ride.

I travel almost exclusively in the Colorado Rockies. I am not shy about using WOT. I will hold WOT until I get to the top of the hill or the engine starts heating up whichever occurs first!

I installed a vacuum gauge and it is very helpful when driving rolling hills. As I encounter a grade that I think will require a downshift out of 5th I start watching the vacuum gauge. When it gets to zero I tap the throttle and the transmission immediately shifts to 4th. By doing this I can maintain speed better.

PS: Brazel's also offers a "Grade Brake" the does the shifting for you on the down grade. Something similar to the factory Allison Grade Brake offered on new Workhorse chassis or Ford's Tow-Haul mode. I don't have it so I'm not recommending it but it is something to consider.
My W22 shifts just like you describe above after the URVP Trans Tune. Will shift into 5th at about 47 with light throttle settings. Will hold 5th just a little longer on slight grades and a little extra throttle pressure. Shifts down normally with WOT.

Another benefit I really like is it will hold 5th all the way down to about 38 MPH or slightly slower with very very light throttle pressure. Like when coming in to a slower speed zone after being at highway speeds. Say when you slow from 55 to 45 to 35 mph through town. With very light throttle pressure the transmission will hold 5th gear through the 35mph zone, loping along at about 1300RPM. Then as the speed limit picks back up you can very gently apply throttle and it will stay in 5th and just start picking up speed. If you want it to kick down to 4th or 3rd just apply more throttle.

I'm very happy with both the ECU tune and Trans tune from URVP.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #17

Finished a 1300 mile trip with the new ECM and TCM tune. Somewhere someone mentioned that using the extra power would negate the slight mileage increase. I probably, unconsciously, did this - along with lots of wind - so 6.6 MPG with allowance for 77 hours on the generator. Still satisfied, especially when towing a car trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I'm certainly satisfied. By monitoring the throttle position on my scangauge, and jogging pause on the cruise control, I can keep in overdrive most of the time while towing our car trailer. 7+ MPG for the 700 miles with this modification, need more distance for a more realistic value.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brazels, engine, power, transmission