Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Broken bracket question

I have a W22 chassis and on the front suspension there is a rectagular bar across the front of the leaf springs. I need the u shaped bracket that holds the bar. Is it something I can replace? Is it under tension from the springs? Can I order parts from Workhorse? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. Russ.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know the bar you refer to.. I do not, however, know what it is called, Either Workhorse or GM dealers should have it (GM might, Workhorse should) but likely expensive.

If you have the mortal remains, (or if you can pull it's mate) any good fabricator can make one for you (Metal shop)

Likely cheaper than what Workhorse will over charge you for it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Russ, I believe that is a WH part. Does not look like a problem to change yourself with the proper tools. Does not seem to have heavy spring tension, just acts as a spring alignment part. Let us know how you make out.

George
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
KSDP,
The square tube assembly you are referring to is the front sway bar.
Thats the front sway bar bracket that is broken on your W-22. Workhorse service center should be able to get you a replacement.
There are two sizes of square tubing bars, your 2005 model should have the larger size bar.
Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dieselclacker is right on !

Mike
Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I think the part is W0000457 (about $80) but I think will be a Workhorse part only.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
KSDP Broken bracket question

I have a 38' adventure '07 was changing the oil and greasing the fittings when I came across what looked like broken spring shackles. both the front and rear springs had these broken brackets. I had taken the coach to chevy, they inspected and said I quote " they are shipping brackets the vendor uses to keep the springs inline and together and aren't important to the security of the springs once they are installed ''. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so I cut the rest of the brackets loose so they wouldn't come apart and stick into my tires.
ARROWVP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WH calls it a stabilizer shaft. There is no tension involved.

My coach is a 2004 model year on a 2003 chassis. It had the 2 inch bar. In August of 2003 WH changed to a 2.5 inch bar. I replaced mine with the 2.5 inch bar.
New brackets came with the bar.

The replacement was an easy job so replacing a bracket would not be a problem. I did have to rent a torque wrench because the torque required is 275 ft pounds.

The instructions for replacing the shaft/bar are below so you can get an idea of what is involved. I didn't have a hoist so I just crawled under the coach.

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement (Front) (P22)

Removal Procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist
2. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.
3. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring, and remove the stabilizer shaft from the vehicle.
4. Remove the clamps from the stabilizer shaft.
5. Remove the insulators from the stabilizer shaft.

Installation Procedure:1. Install the insulators to the stabilizer shaft.
2. Install the clamps to the stabilizer shaft.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices in the WCC Service Manual.

3. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring.
4. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

Tighten:Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to
373 N∙m (275 lb ft).
5. Lower the vehicle.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
WH calls it a stabilizer shaft. There is no tension involved. My coach is a 2004 model year on a 2003 chassis. It had the 2 inch bar. In August of 2003 WH changed to a 2.5 inch bar. I replaced mine with the 2.5 inch bar. New brackets came with the bar.

Tighten:Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to
373 N∙m (275 lb ft).
5. Lower the vehicle.
Clay, I remember when you showed me your new stabilizer bar on the GNR Rally Grounds. I got my front bar changed shortly there after. I went to Ring Power in Ocala, FL to get one of their guys to put a 4 foot torque wrench on those bolts. They did and NC since I helped. I remember it was the only 3/4 drive Snap-On torque wrench that I had ever seen. The bolts took like what seemed for ever before they clicked off.

The terminology is correct; It's a "Stabilizer" and not an anti-sway bar.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Clay, I remember when you showed me your new stabilizer bar on the GNR Rally Grounds. I got my front bar changed shortly there after. I went to Ring Power in Ocala, FL to get one of their guys to put a 4 foot torque wrench on those bolts. They did and NC since I helped. I remember it was the only 3/4 drive Snap-On torque wrench that I had ever seen. The bolts took like what seemed for ever before they clicked off.

The terminology is correct; It's a "Stabilizer" and not an anti-sway bar.
Yeah that was a few years ago now but it doesn't seem like it!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Yeah that was a few years ago now but it doesn't seem like it!
Tryin' to figure it ... must have been in 2005.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Tryin' to figure it ... must have been in 2005.
I think that's right. I installed mine in July of 05 and went to the factory for some warranty work in September of 05.