Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #43

I think the theory is that with the head off, the springs expanded the lifter. It sat fro several days with the heads off. Once the lifter expanded, it stuck.
Yes, that theory seems odd to me, as only the spring is pushing up on the lifter. The force of the valve spring should be much stronger than the return spring inside the lifter, so it seems odd to get stuck with a small spring force, and then a much larger spring force could not pop it loose. That is unless an oil passageway clogged. If a passageway clogged, that would explain why it was a whole bank, rather than just 1 or two lifters, and the whole other bank was fine.
We are out of town right now. I'll probably pay them a visit, and talk in person to see if I can make sense out of it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #44

Wow. There is a lot that doesnt make sense. Im not buying “stuck or pumped up “ lifters as the cause. Sounds very strange. Good luck Dave.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #45

Usually if the lifters are full of oil, once the rockers are installed the valve spring force will bleed them down over several minutes. If, as stated in a prior post, there are two different length pushrods and the rockers are similar to the Gen III motors, the pushrod length determines lifter preload so wrong positions would result in no compression. The other thing I have seen happen is the rocker stand is left out the valves will remain open. Their statement about the lifter springs and heads removed is, at least in my opinion, hooey.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #46

so, not really knowing this level of detail regarding assembling the heads, I did a little YouTube research.

Since this is Raylar, I think it is probably trustworthy. I may not have previously understood the conversation with the shop. One thing that I picked up on in the video is that the mechanic mentioned he had one customer who had to shim most of the rockers, because once they were tightened down, the valves were no longer resting against the seats. So it seems more likely this is the case than anything else. It could just be the way the engine went back together. Thinner head gaskets, or maybe the machine shop took a little off the heads. Who knows at this point.
I will still swing by the shop Monday morning just to have a face to face conversation, and make sure I understand what is going on.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #47

ok first off are the lifters solid or hydraulic if hydroponic you back them till they tick then tighten if solid a feller Gage isnt this your 502
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
ok first off are the lifters solid or hydraulic if hydroponic you back them till they tick then tighten if solid a feller Gage isnt this your 502
No, this is not the 502. (see signature) I sold the Revcon last fall. This is a 2004 Allegro Bay with a bone stock 496, although when we are done, it will have Banks headers on it.
To answer your question, both engines have roller cam with hydraulic lifters. The video is of a 496, identical to mine.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #49

Broken exhaust bolt

Check pages 55 & 56 of this manual for stock removal and installation.
http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp6105.pdf
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #50

$400 in machine shop work, $2500 in labor, $1100 for headers, and $3000 in parts. That included a new AC compressor as well. Ouch!

I've not had a lot of experience driving it before hand, but I can tell there is a slight but more midrange roll on. Not sure I would put headers on, if I did not have an exhaust leak. Of course after the Revcon, everything feels unmercifully slow.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
$400 in machine shop work, $2500 in labor, $1100 for headers, and $3000 in parts. That included a new AC compressor as well. Ouch!

I've not had a lot of experience driving it before hand, but I can tell there is a slight but more midrange roll on. Not sure I would put headers on, if I did not have an exhaust leak. Of course after the Revcon, everything feels unmercifully slow.
So it all working now?

What was the issue with the lifters?

$3000 for parts, what parts, besides the AC compressor
Old 04-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #52

One big expense was lifters. They replaced the complete set. The guy stated he had only seen this happen with lifters one other time. A lot of little stuff added up. They really went thorough on what they chose to replace. Thermostat, Mass airflow sensor, o2 sensors (couldn't remove the old ones) Of course on parts, they charge top dollar, so that doesn't help. They used to be a Workhorse authorized dealer, so I think that means parts are on the expensive side.

Its done now, so I only have a couple more major expenses. Rear tires, and the front windshield is popped out. (no windshield repair place wants to touch it as it needs fiberglass work)

Then of course, if I want to spend money, there is suspension/handling stuff to do...
Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #53

So how long did it take to complete all this work, like how many days. They did most all the work through the dog house I am sure. Did they do a good job of protecting the inside of your coach. I would be curious how much they charged you for parts, specifically the lifters. $3000 seems like quite a bit for parts.

Well hopefully this solves all your problems and you are trouble free for quite a few thousand miles. I will be very interested in hearing how the headers are working for you. Any additional power that you noticed? Any additional noise? I assume they added the H pipe right after headers and before the Cats?

Good luck, hopefully this things is a beast from here on out.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote