Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Burned Wiring Harness

I have experienced a great deal of backfire, engine running rough and rich fuel mixture in my 2002 Workhourse W-22 on my Newmar Kountry Star Gasoline MH. The shop found a hole burned into the underside of the floor and insulation, wires burned to a crisp along with the protective covering over the wires. The Oxygen Sensor had failed and the harness was toast.

He tied the wires back in order to test the system and the four cylinders began to fire again. After replacing the wiring and sensor the engine ran fine again. I am having the plugs and plug wires changed because they are showing signs of heat damage and I had a cracked spark plug. Repairs to the fire damaged parts were covered by my auto insurance policy as an "other than collission" event. They are not sure if the wires came close to the exhaust, a rock knicked the wiring causing a short and fire or some other cause.

Has anyone else had this problem. I would like for Workhorse to know as it could have been a bad fire had we not shut the rig down and had it towed to the shop.

If I did this properly there is a link to two pictures on my web site- one is the wiring the other is the underfloor burned spot.
http://jatexas.com/public/MH%20FIREPICS.htm
JA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA-Texas View Post
IHas anyone else had this problem.
JA-Texas, Please allow me to be among the first to welcome you to the Workhorse Custom Chassis Motorhome Forum we believe it to be the "BEST" resource for everything Workhorse.

Thank you so much for sharing your problem with your coach with us. As for myself I have not experienced this type of event. I own a 2003 chassis with over 78,000 miles on the odometer. I expect that the failure that you are telling us about, although remarkable, is quite rare. In regard to the shop that is accomplishing the repair are they a Workhorse Service Center? if so they would probably be the best resource you have at the moment for an opinion as to the frequency of this type of failure.

Please do come back and see us and please feel free to post often. Please keep in touch and let us know how this issue is resolved and how the motorhome is running after the service.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

DriVer, the shop is Yates Truck and Auto Center in Beaumont, TX. I normally take it to the GM Truck Center in Houston but need a close fix as we had it towed by GoodSam. They seem to be a great shop and had several W-22's in the shop, knowledgeable about the chassis and have been in business since 1976. I don't find them on the WH list but they should be in my opinion..but what do I know. They have it running after replacing the wiring and o2 sensor. I am having the plugs and wires replaced as I cracked a plug and the wires are a bit weatherworn as we live on the coast and humidity abounds. Will be driving the rig home this weekend.....we really have the "itch to hitch".

Thanks for the warm welcome...I chat a lot but do not post much, just thought this may help. I also sent the info to Workhorse in the "My WH" Q&Q section for their info.

Thanks again,
JA
JA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #4

Angry Marty

I think I'm having the same problem. We have a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star with the W22 chassis. When I'm towing my saturn vue and start up even the smallest grade, my coach misses, bucks like crazy, and backfires. Have never travelled without the toad, so don't know if that makes the problem worse or not.
It's doing it again now for the 4th time in 42 months I've had it. The workhorse dealers where I took it said it was just a burnt plug wire. They replaced the wire and off I went, until the next time. It's been about one every ten months, and seems to be only on the right bank of the engine so far.
This time (warrantee is now expired) they told me that there is a "Cooling Kit" that can be installed to move the air from the front of the coach to the plug wire area. I'm having it installed next week but don't know if it will solve the problem. Will be talking to the regional workhorse rep while there to see if they will at least help with the cost, if not pay it all.

Is there anyone out there that has had this "kit" installed and does it work. Or is it something else causing the problem?
Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messner View Post
I think I'm having the same problem. We have a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star with the W22 chassis. When I'm towing my saturn vue and start up even the smallest grade, my coach misses, bucks like crazy, and backfires. Have never travelled without the toad, so don't know if that makes the problem worse or not.
It's doing it again now for the 4th time in 42 months I've had it. The workhorse dealers where I took it said it was just a burnt plug wire. They replaced the wire and off I went, until the next time. It's been about one every ten months, and seems to be only on the right bank of the engine so far.
This time (warrantee is now expired) they told me that there is a "Cooling Kit" that can be installed to move the air from the front of the coach to the plug wire area. I'm having it installed next week but don't know if it will solve the problem. Will be talking to the regional workhorse rep while there to see if they will at least help with the cost, if not pay it all.

Is there anyone out there that has had this "kit" installed and does it work. Or is it something else causing the problem?
Please see the thread "8.1 Engine Shroud" on this page - I just went through the whole mess.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the 'cool pak' not take air that otherwise would go through the radiator? If so what is the big deal about taking the rubber shield or folding it back to allow more ventilation around the engine.
Obviously there have been mistakes made when they built these chassis or MHs so I assume that this rubber air dam could also be a mistake.
Who puts it there, WH or the OEM. I thought it was just a chassis, engine and steering wheel when the OEM gets it. What would WH attach it to?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scroll up in the pictures and see what you could do with some dryer aluminum tubing and vent intakes to direct air on both sides of engine to rear spark plugs. You will need one set up for each side.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you really want to make sure you're not going to burn any more plug wires I would suggest adding Taylor Extreme 10.4mm Ignition Wires as well...
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Here's pictures of the vent kit WH installed after two episodes of burnt wires. I have installed the Taylor wires I bought from Brazel's along with the UP ... all of which has ended my burnt wire problems.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is online now   Reply With Quote