Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
From time to time I come accrost something about Caliber Pin lubeing. Does anyone have the requirements/need of doing this on the W22 and what is the procedure?
Thanks

fixed title typo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From time to time I come accrost something about Caliber Pin lubeing. Does anyone have the requirements/need of doing this on the W22 and what is the procedure?
Thanks

fixed title typo
Old 04-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Logthumper:
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my experience this past Memorial Day weekend I would inspect and lube annually. I lost my coach due to a wheel fire which was attributed to either a wheel bearing problem or a sticking brake caliper so now I would do this more regularly then the manual specifies to play it safe.

Generally you would remove the tire, unbolt the guide pins, clean them, check them for wear/corrosion/galling, get new ones if they don' pass inspection, coat them with silicone brake grease and then bolt them back in place. Also clean and lightly lube, with the same silicone brake grease, all the machined ways that the caliper slides on while you are there.

Other can chip in with more exact specs and W22 specific details. I may be leaning towards overkill but once bitten twice shy.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone have the requirements/need of doing this on the W22 and what is the procedure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOGTHUMPER: There is nothing that I can find in the current Chassis Guide. However, in section 4 (service information) of the owner's manual there is this: " NOTICE Lubricate the brake caliper slides if your vehicle is in storage for periods of six months or longer" That is all there is about caliper pin slide lubrication. Apparently, if you use your vehicle regularly, the caliper slide pins will be kept clean and corrosion free.

Hopefully, an experienced brake "expert" can shed some additional light on your question. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
P32 vs. W22? Is there a correct answer?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there a correct answer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, Jeff but I don't understand your question. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe DriVer has a answer for this on both chassis's and if the lube can be applied with out removel of tires.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Maybe DriVer has a answer for this on both chassis's and if the lube can be applied with out removal of tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>To my knowledge the slide pins can not be removed without removing the tires.

NeilV hit the procedure right on the head!

The tires have to come off so the slide pins and calipers can be removed in order to lubricate everything properly.

Restoring the slide pins make sure they are torqued properly. Restoring the tires to the axles - make sure you bring a tool big enough to do 450 ft/lbs of torque.

Ed Gray made a very sage comment in that if you run your motorhome routinely things that may stick or get stuck don't get that way. I have 55K plus miles and I haven't had my slides or pins serviced but I'm considering doing it as a preventative measure in May.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote