Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Make: WORKHORSE
Model: W20, W22 W24
Year: 2005 & 2006
Manufacturer: WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V148000
Recall Date: APR 21, 2006
Component: STEERING
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 3881
Summary: CERTAIN CHASSIS MAY HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED WITH INCORRECT STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFTS. THE SPLINE CAN STRIP WHILE THE STEERING WHEEL IS BEING TURNED.
Consequence: THIS STEERING CONDITION COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 1-877-294-6773.
Notes: WORKHORSE RECALL NO. 20601-C. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO NTHSA.GOV
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Make: WORKHORSE
Model: W20, W22 W24
Year: 2005 & 2006
Manufacturer: WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V148000
Recall Date: APR 21, 2006
Component: STEERING
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 3881
Summary: CERTAIN CHASSIS MAY HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED WITH INCORRECT STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFTS. THE SPLINE CAN STRIP WHILE THE STEERING WHEEL IS BEING TURNED.
Consequence: THIS STEERING CONDITION COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 1-877-294-6773.
Notes: WORKHORSE RECALL NO. 20601-C. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO NTHSA.GOV
Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my new unit in for Engine problems on the 12~14th.
(Performance Chevy in Sacramento per LaMesa RV)
Shouldn't they have checked for this recall?

My VIN # is among those to be recalled.
PC-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #4

I called Workhorse earlier and my 2005 chassis was before the problem, and not affected. They have been very helpful providing requested information. We are currently on the road, and Internet access is intermittant. If there are ae any questions you would like "road tested", (within reason), fire away.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PC-Bum:
My VIN # is among those to be recalled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please respond in private mail with your VIN# and I'll check.

... and a BIG iRV2 Welcome Abaord to you PC-Bum. I hope to see you back here again & again. Please do come back and visit us again and be sure to post often.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Apparently burned a second #5 plug wire so per WH recommendation took to ALED in Rohnert Park. They check the recall notice... I didn't need it.

Installing cooling kit at NC.

Thanks for your response, I appreciated it.
PC-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #7

Some more information:

Vins:
2005 models: 53404851 to 53412047
2006 models: 63411008 to 63417080
(those are last 8 digits)

Models affected: W20/22/24 approx 3,881 units.

You can check to see if yours is affected by this procedure, and I quote Workhorse:

"Place the vehicle in "Park" and apply the parking brake. With the engine shut down, and the key in the "on" position, turn the steering wheel completely to the left with the maximum force that you can apply. Repeat this process by turning the steering wheel completely to the right, again using the maximum forche that you can apply. If the incorrect shaft was installed, the steering shaft will become loose at the gear box and you will feel the steering wheel rotate freely in your hand."

Another words, some splines were used with "smaller teeth" that prescribed, and then forced in the steering gear with the correct larger spline teeth....so when you use the procedure above, and if you have the incorrect part, the smaller teeth will BREAK causing you to have no steering whatsoever.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Wow...I cant believe I didnt get chastised for the "drunks" comment!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If everyone waits, we all seem to chastise ourselves.

I do know how you feel--everytime I find some "dumb" mistake someone made on the assembly line.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I don't want to take the opportunity at every turn to point and shoot at everything that people say about Workhorse because the members here most often do that on their own when they see things out of the ordinary.

You don't know the people that work on the assembly line at Workhorse however these are good hard working people and they are there everyday of the week except Friday for 10 hours a day. I would urge you to reserve your remarks unless you knew for sure that anyone ingests alcohol at the plant. That was a pretty hard accusation and unwarranted.

You can stop by anytime you like and the address is:

Workhorse Custom Chassis
922 South State Rd. 32
Union City, IN 47390

If you call or write me before hand I'll see if I can arrange a guided tour for you with one of the reps at the factory. I won't tell them that you think they are all drunks.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>There is so much more of a simpler way of doing the test. All one has to do it simply look at the joint. The knuckle will have the fine teeth, you can see inside the yoke and the input shaft on the steering box has coarse teeth and you can see the shaft under where the knuckle fits. So whether by direct view or mirror or whatever means, one can see and identify the suspect splines.

It isn't bad engineering by the way somehow it was the wrong part. No engineer that I know of in this world would mate dissimilar teeth and certainly not the engineers that I know in Union City.

The technique that you describe in testing the breaking point of the teeth is the result of what could happen if an unsuspecting owner were to duplicate that evolution he would in fact strip out the teeth in the yoke. The test itself would suggest to anyone that it should only be performed in a place where if the steering gear does fail one would have the resource to a towing truck or be in the immediate vicinity of a service center.

The text in the campaign is clear: Workhorse Custom Chassis is conducting a safety recall campaign to inspect the steering shaft and gear correction. If the incorrect shaft was installed, it will be replaced with the correct part. The incorrect part (W0007621) has a finer pitch spline than the correct part (W0000450). Use of the incorrect part may cause the spline not to match correctly with the corresponding steering gear input shaft and may result in a loss of steering control.

No one that I know in the TAC is going to suggest to a person on vacation to possibly damage their steering gear while on the road. I have seen the diagnostic language and you have to include the precautions and after the fact actions that need to be taken into consideration and accomplished. Simply stating the language of one paragraph in the campaign certainly presents an incomplete picture of how owner's are supposed to handle this situation.

You can present the facts of the entire campaign however quoting one paragraph in the procedures and resolutions does no one any good and only makes the situation more difficult to comprehend.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #11

We were on vacation (1,400 miles from home), and I called Workhorse about another problem I was having, and right after I stated my other problem, Workhorse had me do the steering wheel test (see below) so they could ascert whether or not that my motorhome could be driven to a Workhorse dealer for my other problem.

Everything I wrote concerning the steering wheel test is in black and white and was sent to all the affected owners, so the recall papers were in my mailbox when I arrived back home.

Option A, which is to visually inspect and then take it to a Workhorse Service Center

Option B is to do the steering wheel test which I quoted VERBATUM.

So...Yes...while on vacation, they had me pull on the steering wheel in each direction with 120 lbs of force to see if the steering shaft would break....with the Workhorse service rep on the phone. I had told them I was at an RV park in Los Angeles and I presume they could tow me if the shaft broke (it didn't)

Give me your fax number and I will be glad to fax you a complete copy of the recall if you would like
Old 07-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
No engineer that I know of in this world would mate dissimilar teeth and certainly not the engineers that I know in Union City. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently somebody did, hence the recall....
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #13

Yesterday, my local Workhorse dealer "tested" my steering shaft by doing the turning the wheel test (option B)...didnt break loose, so mine is not apparently affected.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
You can present the facts of the entire campaign however quoting one paragraph in the procedures and resolutions does no one any good and only makes the situation more difficult to comprehend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I quoted an official option to test your steering shaft quoted straight from the Workhorse Recall sent to the affected owners. This is one of two ways to see if your shaft is one of the ones with the small splines...the other is visual....and the turning of the wheel is what they will have you do when you call them if you VIN is one of the affected ones.