Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Can BTSI lock selector in DRIVE?

Column shift on 2003 Sightseer is stuck in (D) Overdrive position. Locked solid with very slight wiggle.
Transmission shift lever after disconnecting from cable, rotates freely between indents.
Visual inspection of shift tube to cable transition looks good.
Brake lights work.
Any thoughts?

I am not stuck, removed the starter relay cover, and with hydraulic parking brake applied can close the relay contacts with my finger and start the engine and go home in drive (hope I don't need reverse).

Thanks in advance
Gary
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

I'm thinking , shift cable failure, or a problem in the column , shift tube.
Did you try disconnecting the column end of the cable ?
Interlock system should only , lock the shifter in park.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks SKIP426 for your thoughts.

The shift cable reacts fine to hand jerking. It is almost inaccessible where it attaches to the shift tube lever, but very visible.
I can feel the shift tube rotate a very tiny amount on the bottom of the steering column. It is definitely bound in the steering column housing.

It is potentially a nightmare to disassemble, so I am trying for hints on what to look for. To avoid secondary damage, full force has not been used on the shift lever.
Am all Eyes and Ears.
Gary
Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #4

I haven't worked on one of these personally , but I have seen pictures that other members have posted , wondering what the solenoid thingy was at the base of the column.
Have you checked all your fuses? The interlock gets a signal from the brake lights , but it gets power from another source , too .Can you hear the solenoid cycle when you apply the brake ?
I'm sure the solenoid has a cable, running up the column to control , shift lever movement . Could be the cable has let go some where dropping the lock pin where it shouldn't be.
I'll see if I can dig anything else up.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi SKIP426
Thanks for your continued interest.
Checked all fuses below hood and under dash board with multimeter, all checked out good at 0.0 ohms.
Since it is in drive, no solenoid clicking was heard or plunger movement was felt.
Found solenoid at bottom of column. Was able to move the solenoid plunger and the attached wire down about 1/4 inch. Felt like some other stuff was attached at the other end of the wire, and it all moved, but the shifter remained frozen in place.
Thanks for the great hints.
Gary
Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

During Jeep's recall of countless vehicles, I installed the lockout system on a few hundred units; and re-thinking your problem; I have the most trouble trying to figure out why you can't, at least , shift into neutral.
Can you describe what you were doing, when the problem first happened ?
Parking the coach ? Preparing to leave ? Changing any of the steering column adjustments ? ( Tilt ; Telescopic functions )
Have you checked the steering column and solenoid for good grounds?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

A quick check for power to the BTSI solenoid can be done by Braille - - That solenoid runs hotter than a two dollar pistol all the time you are going down the road. If it isn't getting hot - - its either getting no power or it is burned out. The switch coupled to the brake pedal could be failing to close - - accounting for no power at the BTSI solenoid. Just thoughts.

oub
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I fist noticed:
Pulled into a rest area and wanted to take the transmission out of drive (D). The shift lever severely dragged on something, so Neutral or Park was never reached. I stopped trying to advance the lever being afraid it may not go back into drive (D). Left the engine running applied the park brake, took a lunch break then took off for my destination. Thereafter the shift lever is locked in place.
Am back home now and can do more serious work without being concerned about getting stranded.
The BTSI solenoid always felt cold.
I will get out my 4 volumes of Workhorse Custom Chassis Service Manuals and a glass of wine and search for the applicable sections buried among all the other models they placed in the foot high stack of documentation.
Thanks for all the hints, at least I know what is not broken.
Gary
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Beer and or wine , and a calm demeanor are always helpful when searching documents . Good luck . Keep us posted.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi SKIP426
See the attachment. The BSI is de-energized in drive. Only when the selector is in park/neutral and the foot brake is NOT applied, the BTSI solenoid is energized.
So with an enlarged picture that takes up 4 letter sheets, I have started to dis-assemble the steering column. The tools I had to fix an old Oldsmobile directional switch still work on this GM steering column.
Gary
PS
This is one of 2166 pages in volume 1 of 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img041.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	45584  
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post
The tools I had to fix an old Oldsmobile directional switch still work on this GM steering column.
This is one of 2166 pages in volume 1 of 4.
Good old Saginaw steering columns, the odd new wrinkle but for the most part they stuck with what worked.
Only 2166 pages & 4 volumes , consider your self lucky, before the switch to digital storage and web searches , the Stack of manuals for the new models we received at Chrysler every fall was over 5' tall. Every 5 years they had to construct a bigger room , books weighed more than the boat load of special tools that came with them.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never before went beyond the tilt mechanism. Ordered two tools, so I am in a holding pattern till late Tuesday. This steering column and all its wires is not for the faint at heart.
So far no clues as to what is binding the selector in Drive (D).
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post
Never before went beyond the tilt mechanism. Ordered two tools, so I am in a holding pattern till late Tuesday. This steering column and all its wires is not for the faint at heart.
So far no clues as to what is binding the selector in Drive (D).
There you are having all the fun, and I'm up here , waxing my coach.
I'll trade you.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The BTSI can only lock the shift lever in N or P. The gearshift lever bowl assy (54) has an internal skirt that has a hole in the neutral position and ends in the park position. The actuator can never lock the wheel in any other position but P and N. The tilt mechanism (43) has been removed and the BTSI actuator (79) is clearly visible and is not engaged, but located over, but not touching the internal skirt.
Shift lever still stuck in (D).
NOW WHAT?
The motorhome tires are 3 inches off the ground with safety jacks in place. I am about to crawl back under it and have another look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P steeringwheel assy & PL.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	46097   Click image for larger version

Name:	P Steerin wheel PL.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	46098