Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2005, 05:32 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have 2 failed attempts to update the IP cluster via a laptop.

The first was at the Workhorse dealer. I waited 4 hours for 10 minute job.

I contacted WCC and received a call back from the tech supervisor. After some discussion it was left up to me on how I wanted to handle it. A) Try to update again with tech help or B) Replace the IP Cluster. OBTW - My IP cluster works and I have had no problems with it.

While I was trying to decide what to do I received a call from the Regional Service Mgr localed in the Austin, TX area. He was in the process of checking out a coach for a WCC dealer and drove out to my location to try the update again.... Talk about service! Well the uplink failed again. He even tried the direct connect to the IP Cluster. It still failed to "communicate". I am now left with 2 choices. A) do nothing and B) Replace the IP Cluster with rebuilt.

I really hate to replace something that is not broken with a "refurbed" part. It just goes against my nature.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2005, 05:32 AM   #2

I have 2 failed attempts to update the IP cluster via a laptop.

The first was at the Workhorse dealer. I waited 4 hours for 10 minute job.

I contacted WCC and received a call back from the tech supervisor. After some discussion it was left up to me on how I wanted to handle it. A) Try to update again with tech help or B) Replace the IP Cluster. OBTW - My IP cluster works and I have had no problems with it.

While I was trying to decide what to do I received a call from the Regional Service Mgr localed in the Austin, TX area. He was in the process of checking out a coach for a WCC dealer and drove out to my location to try the update again.... Talk about service! Well the uplink failed again. He even tried the direct connect to the IP Cluster. It still failed to "communicate". I am now left with 2 choices. A) do nothing and B) Replace the IP Cluster with rebuilt.

I really hate to replace something that is not broken with a "refurbed" part. It just goes against my nature.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
oemtech,
Did they give you any indication as to why it wouldn't update? Also is it a big deal if you don't update or will it still work ok the way it is. I also have no problems with mine but don't want to in the future either.

2003 35-E Bounder W-22
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #4

Originally posted by OEMTECH :<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OBTW - My IP cluster works and I have had no problems with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure, as a former techinical service advisor, you MUST have heard the old saw "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!" I not sure I understand why you are worrying over this Like you, I try to keep my unit up to date and as near perfect as I can. But I'm not too worried about WCC issues (like the CAT and IP recalls) which are not causing me any problems. Best of luck to you, Dale. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #5

Interesting! Mine is at a Workhorse dealer right now getting the IP sent out. It has been there for a week for the one day turn around. I have no idea if they are simply reprogramming my original IP or replacing it with a new or rebuilt unit. Since I have had other issues, like alarms sounding and gauge needles dropping and resetting for no reason. I'm hoping that will be fixed too. Think I'm hoping for too much?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom, your unit is displaying the same symptoms my 04 33v WH did. After 2 attempts to "find something", I asked for and got another panel.. No idea if it is new or re furb. It came with the update done.. 1000 miles on the new panel, and so far, so good. Will leave on a 7000 mile run in 3 weeks, so we will see if its cured...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #7

I had mine updated last month. Last week, I had once instance of the needle drop and buzzers, even with the update.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply... I hope mine comes back completely redone... We leave for a 2 week trip from NJ to Hlton Head in early June. Should be done early next week... I hope.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #9

Fla2RI,

Was yours reprogrammed at a shop or removed and sent out? I guess we'll see what happens... I haven't had any performance problems just the annoyance of the alarm and needles dropping.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #10

rvjer,

The only problem seem to be a msg that indicates the software can't communictae/link to the IP cluster. This process is very similar to updating your PC Bios or the firmawre on a CD/DVD burner. I suspect the they have EEPROM that stores the IP cluster code and the laptop can't make the link to do the update.

ED,

You are right... if it is not broke don't fix it.

This problem as it was explained to me is a failure to turn on the ABS idiot light when certain conditions exist.

The WCC guy will be checking with WH Techs to see if there is a soultion as I beleive the update software gave and error code. This may or may not be of any help depending on how "bright" the programmer was.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale said...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This problem as it was explained to me is a failure to turn on the ABS idiot light when certain conditions exist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...

That is true, the needle excursions, and all the light and alarm events do not have anything to do with the recall...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dale,
I would contact Actia.com an explain what is happening to your IP when tech is trying to reprogram it. They have my name an "007" when I contacted them.
I contacted them when I thought that there was a possibility of incorrect wiring by Mfg's when installing the IP. They were very responsive to my questions because of all the IP failures. I'am going to contact them again after everyone inputs there findings on "POLL" questions on the "ACTIA IP DISPLAY".
I did the tests on recall sheets an tests on ACTIA download and my display has not had any problems since remaking wiring terminations on chassis about 7000 miles ago. Like ED says "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT." ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:00 AM   #13

If the recall has nothing to do with the needle excursion andalarms, then I guess I'm sitting at a Workhorse dealer for a week... Only to have to sit there another time for that problem. It certainly doesn't sound like I'm the only one with this problem. I reported this problem when I took it in for the recall... It should be interesting to see what they say about it.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom A.,
Its all one of the same the ACTIA cluster, different problems for different folks. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote