Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #1

Carry a spare fuel pump?

Looking through the archives it appears most with fuel pump problems have the 2003 and earlier pumps before the fuel return on the filter was added. I have a 2004 with the filter return and wonder about the logic of carrying a spare fuel pump? Traveling with a dog and two cats I do not want to be sitting in a motel waiting for a week for a new pump to arrive if mine decides to go south at some point. How common are failures on the 2004 and later pumps?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
We are at 140,000 km. with our rig and the fuel pressure still holds steady around 60 psi all the time.

I think the best thing to do for a long fuel pump life is never let your fuel level drop below 1/4. That way it stays cooled by the fuel. Running much lower the motor in the pump will be out of the fuel and run much warmer, shortening its life.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:30 AM   #3

We have a 2004 Georgie Boy Cruise Master with the 8.1engine and had a fuel pump failure at around 20K miles while on a trip. Changing the pump required dropping the fuel tank. We had it towed to a mechanic who replaced it. Not a job I would want to do on the road. Fresh water tank sits above the fuel tank so access from the top is not possible.
04georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

Carry a spare fuel pump?

I have a 1995. I replaced mine out of caution(28 year old pump at the time) and since the fuel pump/ sending unit is under an accessible area of the floor. I cut a hatch in the floor to make it accessible without removing the tank. The hatch is under the carpet. I do keep a spare pump with me.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My thought's. How many parts can you carry. If you are concern, change the part. After reading franks story. Im thinking about changing my pump with a fass. The old pump has no signs of problems, but I hate being on the side of the road.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
My thought's. How many parts can you carry. If you are concern, change the part. After reading franks story. Im thinking about changing my pump with a fass. The old pump has no signs of problems, but I hate being on the side of the road.
OP has a gasser with the 8.1, so different, but can be a b#ch to change if the tank is full!

I have read of someone on irv2 that installed an external high pressure fuel pump up under his rig with enough hoses to add it inline to the existing system. Just a matter of hooking it up, and flipping the prewired switch on if his pump failed. Maybe not a project for everyone, but it would save the day.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My bad. Is it installed in the tank??? If so would you get the pump and fuel guage sending unit?

Yep with any fuel in the tank it's a pain.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed an external aux fuel pump on our 2004 8.1 Workhorse. Source for fuel pickup is the tanks right side unused fuel filler and vent stub hoses. I used the vent stub for entry with a fabricated 3/8” nylon line.Tee fuel pump outlet into OEM fuel line just before fuel filter. I installed 1 way check valve on outlet side of pump, (did not trust pumps internal check valve). I used separate toggle switch with its own power source and fuse to power the pump. The pump is mounted on chassis frame cross member just in front of fuel tank. Works really well, hope I never have to use it!
Old 02-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Kevin, who makes great videos about the W series Chassis did a great video on a fuel pump bypass that you can take along with you, if you have trouble with your in tank fuel pump. He even test drives the RV with the bypass.

https://youtu.be/AMwI6SF20KI
Old 02-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

I've considered the possibility of a back-up fuel pump, taking advantage of the unused fuel filler. Would certainly be nice to have that option if you're ever in a jam. Wouldn't be much fun on the side of the road, but seems like they often start acting up before they fail completely, and it would be an easy job to hook up the back up pump at a campground.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a fuel pressure gauge along with transmission temperature and manifold vacuum and volt gauges. Now I can see if the fuel pump is doing its thing at a glance. I just like to see that everything is perking along as it should.

If I see pressure dropping, first thing I will do is check the filter. Next would be the pressure regulator, then the pump.

I see no real need to just buy a spare pump. Lots of other things can go wrong, and I don't need to carry a complete parts department along.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is it's up to you what to carry along.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #12

Regular monitoring of a fuel pressure gauge does seem like a reasonable alternative to carrying a spare pump.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #13

Sounds like good advice. One can also listen to the pump. On my 454 TREK, I was advised that, if the pump whines, it may be getting ready to fail. Several years back, before a trip to the west coast, I heard the pump whining but thought it didn't sound too loud .

While in California, Coach.net towed us a few miles to a nice service location where I waited through the weekend to have a new pump in$talled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Regular monitoring of a fuel pressure gauge does seem like a reasonable alternative to carrying a spare pump.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:05 AM   #14

Electric Fuel pump bypass kit,W20 W22 W24 Workhorse Chassis with 8.1 Vortec Engine

Fuel pump used E16020 from O'Reilly Auto Parts Dorman steel fuel line number 800-155 New style Fuel filter and adapter Luber-finer # WHG481FK Adapter kit to convert Workhorse trucks with G2996, fuel filter to use G481 3/8 Gates hose # 27341 The 90 degree fitting at fuel filter along with connector I got at a local parts house that made hydraulic lines these fittings are called AN fittings.
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, pump