Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #1

Catalytic Converter Thefts

This became of interest when thefts in our RV lot were reported.

My '06 PA has 2 converters, 1 on each of the 2 exhaust pipes. They are labeled as

N EM 78500-001 02/17

I think these are Ford or Ecotrade(?) but I can't find that exact model # to find replacement cost but similar ones are listed at less than $100. If 02/17 is date of manufacture, obviously they are not OEM.

Some people in our RV club are reporting that it cost them more than $1500 to replace theirs. Perhaps they have different or newer models? Some are having "cages" welded around their cc's to discourage theft. That's not worth it for me if ours could be replaced inexpensively.

Any info?
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #2

It’s definitely a problem, they found a guy in my daughters workplace parking lot in the act of removing a converter. He dropped his saw and tool bag and ran into the woods. This after a few people had had theirs stolen in the same lot.

I don’t have my Workhorse anymore, but my 2005 W24 had two large converters. Not sure they could be replaced so cheaply, even with aftermarket.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #3

My question is, don’t the scrap dealers notice the same goobers bring them the converters? Come on, how many times is Beevis and Butthead gonna make trips to scrap dealer, without raising eyebrows?
Old 01-13-2022, 10:42 PM   #4

Anyone have actual knowledge or experience?
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:48 PM   #5

Catalytic converters were stolen off my W22 last year. Workhorse replacements were $1,200 each, so I bought Magnaflow 94002 off Amazon for $112.00 each. They fit perfectly and I installed them myself in about 30 minutes. Insurance paid me about $2,500, so it was a money maker. That Magnaflow is not CARB compliant, but since I don't live in California it's of no concern.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree, I have always said why don't the authorities go after the scrap dealers
Dermec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #7

Authorities don't go after the scrap dealers because its too hard to prove in a court of law. Yes, everyone knows what is going on, but the cats don't have secret serial numbers to identify where they came from.

I do have an idea. What about hanging a rubber snake around the cat with the head hanging down just enough to be barely seen. That or a fake hornets nest.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:08 AM   #8

I own a mobile repair business and install "cat clamps" regularly on fire chassis.

My new 2003 W22 has 2 cats that are very easy to cut out. I'll be installing cat clamps on those this week
rollinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep, thefts are real

Our Open Road Allegro 34PA, model year 2021, built on a 2020 year F53 chassis is at a truck center in North Las Vegas (770 miles from our home, where we are now). It broke down with ~7,000 miles on it in Kingman AZ and was towed to Las Vegas for repairs. Just our luck, with it stored inside a locked fenced area, someone cut the fence and stole catalytic converters, including ours; except, the service center claims they cut ours off and then left it below the motorhome; they say they are getting OEM part quotes, but will also see if they can reuse our original. I've asked them to send pictures of the parts and damage, but haven't received any.
I would like to be assured that the repair turns it back to like new with original parts. Please, if anyone with our model year 34PA, with catalytic converter intact, could take and post pictures of the catalytic converter and surrounding areas, we would be grateful. Also, if any PN can be found on the catalytic converter that would be helpful.
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter