Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Changing antifreeze

I would like to change antifreeze in my motorhome. I am worried about getting air locks in the two heaters. Am I worried for nothing? Also if I go ahead and change it how do I get it all out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drain it, refill with distilled water, run it for a while, half hour so, then drain it again.

Refill with 50/50 mix. Run it half hour or so and top off.

Where are you going to dispose of the original antifreeze?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

I never had any issues, just turn the heater to hot when you start it so it circulates through the heater core. You might also want to check the function of the valve that controls it, common failure and I replaced mine while it was apart.

Not to make more work, but depending on the age of the hoses they might be worth changing. I bought the upper and lower from Ultra RV Products because the NAPA hoses really didn't fit well. The bypass hose can be bought at any dealer, but it is a royal pain to change out. I also replace all the heater hoses while I was in there.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of our very knowledgeable members - OEMY - has the drain procedure posted on his web site - with pictures.
See HERE

Note carefully the info on the drain valve.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all who answered. My next question is does all the antifreeze drain out with just opening the radiator drain? Also is there a special kind of antifreeze I should use? I also will return the old antifreeze where I buy the new antifreeze.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, all the antifreeze doesn't drain out, most of it, but not all. That's why I flush with distilled water.

I believe they came with Dex-cool.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't use the flush procedure there are two hex recess plugs on the block that need to be removed. One on each side - below the spark plugs and toward the rear of the engine. I don't recall the size but it is metric and I had to buy the proper bit.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With all the help I have gotten hear I have decided to do the change my self, I will get the 5 year green antifreeze that Canadian Tire sell. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
With all the help I have gotten hear I have decided to do the change my self, I will get the 5 year green antifreeze that Canadian Tire sell. Thanks again for all the help.

Let us know how the change goes for you. Be careful with the plastic drain plug....
Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Why would you want to do that? I have been thoroughly impressed with how clean Dexcool keeps the block and radiator.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

Consider one of these vacuum devices on the refill: https://www.amazon.com/FJC-43610-Rad...ze+vacuum+pump
Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As this will be my first change I would like to use the best I can buy. The chasee is a 2004 so I assume that's how old the antifreeze is. Vettenuts says I should use Dexcool antifreeze. I don't even know where to buy it. Any other ideas on what antifreeze to use. Sorry to bring this up so many times.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
As this will be my first change I would like to use the best I can buy. The chasee is a 2004 so I assume that's how old the antifreeze is. Vettenuts says I should use Dexcool antifreeze. I don't even know where to buy it. Any other ideas on what antifreeze to use. Sorry to bring this up so many times.
I would use the dexcool, you can get it at the chevy dealer, if you have to switch to green, make sure you get every drop of dexcool out of there, if you mix dexcool with the green, you will get a sludge, just google it.

I did not bother with the radiator drain plug, just removed lower radiator hose, and take those engine block plugs out, one on each side, I was amazed how much coolant is left in the engine block once the radiator hose was disconnected.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Not sure if you have a WalMart nearby, but they have it. Get distilled water there as well.