Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, so can you change your oil too much. I use Mobil 1 and I change it every major trip I go on I have always been in the habit of just changing it before I leave home base. Sometimes that is 5,000 miles sooner. I assume there is no harm in this except maybe cost.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, so can you change your oil too much. I use Mobil 1 and I change it every major trip I go on I have always been in the habit of just changing it before I leave home base. Sometimes that is 5,000 miles sooner. I assume there is no harm in this except maybe cost.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I think 5k is ok... it works for me. But, the best way is to have the oil analyzed and then decide.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You can never have too much of a good thing. New oil meets the lubrication standards as well as oil that is approaching the end of its service life, hardly any difference. If there were synthetic oil wouldn't be all that much better than dino oil.

No harm except for cost is the right answer.

As oemtech suggested having your oil tested is the best possible solution however changing your systhetic motor oil at 5,000 miles is a reasonable and prudent measure, if not a bit on the pricy side.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
To take a truely representative oil sample you have to drain part of your oil, take the sample and then dump the used oil back in the engine and then pay $20 for an oil analysis. You might as well just change the oil and save the $20.
I'm speaking of a gas engine.

My opinion and I know some don't agree.

Tom currently in Crystal River, FL

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #6

Follow your manual and do what makes the most sense to you. I like all the discussion about what "they" say meaning the Workhorse folks. It's not a high-reving engine, it's a big block.
2,200 rpms at 60 mph isn't anything compared to the old Motors and transmissions. My old 79 Brave with a 440 cid Dodge had 30,000 miles on it and at 60 mph turned 3,000 rpm's drove it up and down the highways for 7 years without any problems with engine or Trans wear. Changed the oil around 3,000 miles sometimes more with Dino oil. The newer engines are designed to go longer between changes with NORMAL driving. All this "they said" will disappear into the woodwork if something went wrong because of something "they" recommended. You need to represent yourself if something goes wrong. I'm sure a WORKHORSE Tech would be impressed if someone said Oh yeah but I read on the IRV2 site John Doe said Not to or to change the oil, filter, etc., at such and such.
There is a lot of information on this site some good and some is bias you need to know the difference.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
My opinion and I know some don't agree. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, That's not the point. The knowledge that you get in the report about the condition of your engine is worth the $20 bucks and more. The lab test that tells you to retain your oil is only a small part of the benefit you receive when you have the oil tested.

Sitting in the Rally Park until Wednesday morning. Site #126
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #8

I also change mine between major trips because we never really know how far we are going to drive for sure. Also the oil gets to look a little dirty after about 3000 miles and I don't like dirty looking oil. We use synthetic Mobil 1 so if we stress it a little I think it holds up better. I change the oil and lube the RV myself so I figure -- oil is cheap and my labor is free..When I pull the dipstick out I like to see nice fresh clean oil..
Old 03-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I change the oil and lube the RV myself so I figure -- oil is cheap and my labor is free..When I pull the dipstick out I like to see nice fresh clean oil.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that is exactly why I change mine so often as well. I feel better.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I opted for Amsoil ASL synthetic oil. They say I can go 1 year or 25,000 miles between changes. I opt to go 6000 miles or 6 months. If I am on a trip, I might push as far as 10,000 miles. I would rather be safe then sorry.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rogueii:
I opted for Amsoil XL synthetic oil. They say I can go 1 year or 7,500 miles between changes. I opt to go 6000 miles or 6 months. I would rather be safe then sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm following their specs, one year, with a filter change at the six month timeline.

Something to think about. Unless you plan on holding onto the RV for many, many years, most of us using the syn oil will really not see the benifits. It's the third owner, when it has 90K miles that will really gain from our efforts.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Another comment to think about.

Do you think the oil in your motorhome should be changed more often than in your regular everyday vehicle???

And, Workhorse claims the GM 8.1 will go 200,000 miles on dino 5W30. Would the service life extend past 200,000 miles with synthetic oil??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you think the oil in your motorhome should be changed more often than in your regular everyday vehicle???

And, Workhorse claims the GM 8.1 will go 200,000 miles on dino 5W30. Would the service life extend past 200,000 miles with synthetic oil?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if I'm to answer that yes, I would change more often than my other vehicles. My other vehilces don't carry the weight that the MH does.

Perhaps it won't go 200,000 and perhaps it will, but by using a better oil it will go better than it would if I didn't.