Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
We have Diesel Emission tests here in Ontario Canada. The coach is a 1996 Monaco Signature Series. The engine is a Cummins M11 450 e plus with 75,000 miles on it. We have used Shell Rotella 15W40 since new. Took the coach in last week for its 2 year test and the inspector was worried about it passing. I told him it doesn't smoke at all. He looked at me like I was an idiot. When he did the test which involves a snap throttle to a set rpm he kept coming out of the coach and adjusting the sniffer at the pipe. Then going back in and performing the test again. After the 7th time I asked him what the problem was and he stated he couldn't get a reading because there was no emissions. The final score was a .6 out of 30. Fail would have been 31.

Just saying!!

joe
Sounds like a *hole inspector to me.. Ran into plenty like that.. 'Fail EVERYONE'.. Glad he couldnt with you
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #58
YC1

I use synthetic in the transmission because I believe it handles the heat better. Changing engine oil yearly and using synthetic just does not pencil for my low mileage. My oil changes are $400 + for the engine alone.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
A ways back on this thread someone mentioned using a two quart oil filter. I did also a few years ago until I called an oil analysis firm and asked if there was any benefit to that. Their firm answer was no. Anyone doing that currently and do you see a benefit?
Me i do. And i do see my oil stays cleaner longer. I don't just use a longer filter i use a way longer filter.
My Jeep 4.0 six comes from the factory with a filter about 4 inches long.
Nearly all 4.0 sixs can fit the longer (about 6 inch)Motorcraft FL-1A filter.
(Fram PH8A for those familar with fram) I use on mine a Napa 1773
which is a F6-7-800 oil filter. Same in all aspects except its about 7 inches tall.
An oil filter will stop filtering when the element get full of dirt. THen the oil just bypasses the filter. Ever notice how oil get dirty at a steady slow rate and all of a sudden it just gets black. THat is when the filter quit.
Aslo in the winter during cold starts the oil is so thick it won't go though the elemant, so it bypasses during this time as well.
Running a filter with a larger element will make the filter last longer and it will filter sooner during cold weather starts.
I will do an oil/filter change, get about 2000-2500 on the oil and change only the filter and top off. then do this again in about 2500 and finally do a full change at about 8-10K miles.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
A ways back on this thread someone mentioned using a two quart oil filter. I did also a few years ago until I called an oil analysis firm and asked if there was any benefit to that. Their firm answer was no. Anyone doing that currently and do you see a benefit?
Funny the 2 quart one is the same cost as the 1 pint one. More capacity isnt bad.
Only time Ive ever had oil turn black is when I put a quart of trans fluid in an engine that hadnt had a filter change in 3yrs. Engine still runs like new and gets abused daily.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
another benifit I forgot is that the engine oil IS the coolant for the Crankshaft, connecting rods, thier bearings, and most of the vavles prings and rocker arms if any.
Othe rthan where the valve spring touches the haed the engine coolant Does NOTHING to keep these parts cool. extra Volume is a great thing for engine oil (as long as the oil puddle in the pan doesn't touch the spinning crank.)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using Amsoil full synthetic since 1980 in ALL my toys with an engine. RV, Road Cars, Racing cars, Trucks, lawn tractors and customer cars.

The oil is changed once a year and I never had any engine problems. The engine runs smoother, starts better, consume less gas and oil and helps the environment!

When I did an oil change in my Diesel Cayman this year, I couldn't believe the difference. BTW, if a warranty cie would like to refuse a claim, they would have to prove the damage was caused by the oil.
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Synthetic Mobil One 5w-30 since 5000 miles in our 8.1 liter gas engine. We have 43K on the odometer now and feel like it was a good decision as this engine works hard to move this heavy load.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #64

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mntdriver,

I did the same thing and changed to Mobil 1 at 5k. Now have 60k with no issues and several good oil test reports. Usually have to add less than a qt. per 5k change cycle.

Dave
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
Mntdriver,

I did the same thing and changed to Mobil 1 at 5k. Now have 60k with no issues and several good oil test reports. Usually have to add less than a qt. per 5k change cycle.

Dave
My oil consumption is a tad more but it's well within the range of normal. I'm using 10W but it never goes below 0 here. 97,000 smiles and counting. :-)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote