Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Picked up 3 gallons of TranSynd and a new filter today and am planning on making the switch to the synthetic tomorrow. I hope I get this in and a couple of answers before the forum shuts down for the upgrade.

Questions:
1. Anybody got a good way to get the new oil into my Allison 1000? The usual way is through the dip stick tube but it mine runs nearly horizontal back a pretty good way and when using a regular narrow tube funnel, it is going to be very dificult to make the fluid pour. Any ideas or techniques you could share?

2. I've got a fairly short 4 gallon bucket that will slide under the coach to the transmission. I plan to put a heavy weight plastic garbage bag in as a liner and drain into that. Should drain just a bit over 2.5 gallons so I will be ok there. Anybody got a better way to drain and transport for disposal?

3. When changing the filter, is there any need to prefill it with the TranSynd before installing the new one?

4. Any other tips, tricks or techniques I might need would be very much appreciated.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Capt Joe:
Picked up 3 gallons of Transynd and a new filter today and am planning on making the switch to the synthetic tomorrow. I hope I get this in and a couple of answers before the forum shuts down for the upgrade.
Good job Capt Joe however I think you are going to be 1 quart short. Mine took 13 quarts.

Quote:
Questions:
1. Anybody got a good way to get the new oil into my Allison 1000? The usual way is through the dip stick tube but it mine runs nearly horizontal back a pretty good way and when using a regular narrow tube funnel, it is going to be very difficult to make the fluid pour. Any ideas or techniques you could share?
I used a flexible metal tube and funnel and added all my fluid through the dip stick tube. Can't think of a better way.

Quote:
2. I've got a fairly short 4 gallon bucket that will slide under the coach to the transmission. I plan to put a heavy weight plastic garbage bag in as a liner and drain into that. Should drain just a bit over 2.5 gallons so I will be OK there. Anybody got a better way to drain and transport for disposal?
We have recycling centers all over our county and they take waste oil. Perhaps yours will as well. You tranny should drain out every bit of 3 gallons. I used a 5 gallon compound bucket.

Quote:
3. When changing the filter, is there any need to pre-fill it with the Transynd before installing the new one?
Yes I have always pre-filled by spin on filter. Don't forget to replace the magnet on the new filter. Looks like a ring. Use a little bit of transmission fluid and wet the gasket before spinning it on. Hand tighten only.

Quote:
4. Any other tips, tricks or techniques I might need would be very much appreciated.
Mark the drain bucket or container with a magic maker using water to gauge the quantity. Now you have a container with graduated markings.

Restore the amount of oil that you removed. Allow to drain for a few hours. Fluid in the cooler and lines will also drain back.

When checking the fluid level, do so in park on level ground and allow the fluid to warm up.

Good luck with your upgrade!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,

Thanks greatly for your reply.

I sure hope the 3 gallons will be enough. The service manager at the local Florida Detroit Diesel-Allison said it should be fine. The book calls for 10.6 quarts for a drain and refill....I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Could you please expound a little on your filling funnel rig? Did you use flex metal tubing small enough to go inside of the dip stick tube and how did you attach the funnel? did you use one of the long, skinny spout ones they sell for a dollar or so to use on car transmissions? Did you need to extend the flex tubing down inside of the dip stick tube past the horizontal part to keep it flowing down into the transmission and not try to run back out?

We have some good oil disposal sites here too. I'll probably run it down to the city marina and use their waste oil tank. I've got a couple of gallon jugs here at the house that are nearly full of old gear case oil from changing it in outboard motors.

Thanks again for your help. I'm just trying to get this done the best/easiest way without spilling any on my parking pad.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Capt Joe
I have found the easiest and less messy way to add oil and transmission fluid is to use a garden sprayer. Take the spray nozzle off and insert the wand in the dipstick tube. It is kind of slow but eliminates spilling and dripping. You can get them at any garden shop, I got mine at Lowes. Bought three, one for the engine oil, one for the tranny and one for the differential.

Tom
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Joe View Post
I sure hope the 3 gallons will be enough. The service manager at the local Florida Detroit Diesel-Allison said it should be fine. The book calls for 10.6 quarts for a drain and refill....I guess I'll see tomorrow.
Sometimes I get the number skewed a little. I quoted from memory the total capacity. I am sure that the Allison Tech is correct at 10.6 ~ quarts.

Quote:
Could you please expound a little on your filling funnel rig? Did you use flex metal tubing small enough to go inside of the dip stick tube and how did you attach the funnel?
You can buy one of these contraptions at a local jobber. Check with your NAPA store for a transmission fill funnel. "Yes" the nozzle of the funnel fits inside the dipstick tube. If you will notice, (I hope I remember this one) there is a little bit of a flute that allows the air to escape and the fluid to flow into the dipstick.
Quote:
... so to use on car transmissions?
Yes
Quote:
Did you need to extend the flex tubing down inside of the dip stick tube past the horizontal part to keep it flowing down into the transmission and not try to run back out?
No the nozzle of the funnel only goes in the tube about 1/2 way.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMFEN View Post
Capt Joe
I have found the easiest and less messy way to add oil and transmission fluid is to use a garden sprayer. Take the spray nozzle off and insert the wand in the dipstick tube. It is kind of slow but eliminates spilling and dripping. You can get them at any garden shop, I got mine at Lowes. Bought three, one for the engine oil, one for the tranny and one for the differential.

Tom
Great idea Tom!!!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Happy Camper....

Well, I am officially a Happy Camper. The oil change, except for one little aggrivation, went extremely well. I certainly appreciate the hints and suggestions.

I found that the drain and refill did drain out just about exactly 10.6 quarts. I drained, as I had indicated above, into a bucket with doubled trash bags in it and it was a no mess deal. Easy to take it for disposal (along with a couple of gallons of used lower end oil from changing oil in outboard lower units).

The tranny showed full on the dip stick before draining is but i did have to put just over 11 quarts in to refill...but that was because of a terrible funnel I had picked up at Pep Boys to use for the refill. It leaked like anything and I had to change plans in the middle of the refill. I was usint Gorilla Tape to try and stop the leaks but it didn't do much for it. Took the funnel back this am and got my money back. I finally went looking through my shop and found about a 1.5 foot piece of thin wall hose that fit into the dip stick tube like a glove and I had a funnel that fit into the tube without a problem at all. Used that to finish the fill without spilling another drop. Going to look for a longer piece of that hose so I can get it further down the dip stick tube and allow the funnel to be held out front to make it easier to pour into. If I ws doing these changes more often, I do think the oil pump I use to use to pump the oil out of inboard engine boats would sure work well too.

Took my wife for a ride yesterday afternoon and she, without any coaching from me, noticed right away the smoother shifting and quieter operation. I also noticed that when the transmission is shifted from P to R or from N to D, there is absolutly no clunk or sensation that it has been dropped into gear. Just a smooth motion, either forward or reverse, when you give it a little gas. My transmission has never had a big clunk or anything and I always THOUGHT it had shifted smoothly.....but WOW, I sure could, and my wife could too, sure tell the difference.

This is sure one of the best things I have done for our motorhome....and I feel like it will pay off well in the future. Matter of fact, last week when I was getting my TranSynd at the Florida Detroit Diesel-Allison shop, I was talking to the manager about making the change. He was saying that I didn't really need to change to TranSynd....My comment was "Really, that will sure save me some money". He then proceeded to say that I didn't need to change it because they needed the money and if I didn't change to the TranSynd that they would see me much sooner for some expensive repairs. He was also sayin that accross Florida they had laid off about 65 employees a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons the company had mentioned was due to less revenue from the Allison transmission repairs and they attributed that to the use of TranSyne. Good enough for me!!!!

Sorry to get so long winded but I just wanted to give an update on my project. Thanks for the guidance.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I change to syn tran fluid will I have to change it a couple of times to get all the old trans fluid out or does it hurt to mix the two. I thought I read unless I use a trans shop that uses a pump I wouldnt get all the old fluid out.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Well, I am officially a Happy Camper.
Capt Joe, You do know that you have to do this process twice right?

The converter does not drain down and so driving around now with a new load of fluid introduces the mix you have into the converter.

On the 2nd change you should be approaching 95% or better of Transynd concentration.

It upset me to no end to have to do this a second time including the filter. I did the change within 6 months from the initial change back in 2005.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,

Yep, I read that in the info I picked up at the Allison shop. Said that with the first change, you should follow the change schedule for the Dextron 111 fluid but after the second change with TranSynd you can go to the full synthetic schedule.

Meant to mention a couple of things in my previous post but forgot...so here they are:

The Dextron fluid I drained was VERY clear without any burnt smell at all. Sort of a suprise to see it so clean looking. Also the magnet in the filter was very clean also. Just a very, very small bit of fine powder looking stuff on it. Couldn't even feel it to be gritty or anything just made my fingers dirty when I rubbed it between them. Very pleased.

Two quick questions on the new forum if you don't mind....
1. Can I identify my time zone so the post times, etc will be correct for my location?
2. How do I 'subscribe' to a thread so I get notifications for all posts to that thread?
I like the new layout so far and it seems to be a bit faster than the old one.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
If I change to syn tran fluid will I have to change it a couple of times to get all the old trans fluid out or does it hurt to mix the two.
jdsr, I believe I have answered that in the reply I offered Capt Joe. You cannot hurt the fluid by adding Transynd to Dexron. I would not want to go the other way around because you would be contaminating Transynd. Now that said, the transmission doesn't care.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
DriVer,
The Dextron fluid I drained was VERY clear without any burnt smell at all. Sort of a surprise to see it so clean looking. Also the magnet in the filter was very clean also. Just a very, very small bit of fine powder looking stuff on it. Couldn't even feel it to be gritty or anything just made my fingers dirty when I rubbed it between them. Very pleased.
Me too!
Quote:
1. Can I identify my time zone so the post times, etc will be correct for my location?
Yes, See the post by Max Hubrich about how to set you TZ. here it is:

I had the same issue with the time of the posts-- They are in GMT. You need to select your own time zone and here is how to do it---

Max - you can set the time in your account settings to account for your geographic location.

Click on userCP (upper tool bar) >edit options
Quote:
2. How do I 'subscribe' to a thread so I get notifications for all posts to that thread?
I like the new layout so far and it seems to be a bit faster than the old one.
Just learning all this stuff myself, I'm sure it isn't difficult and I'll see if I can put an answer together for you as soon as I can. In the meantime I'm sure someone's got it figured out.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
jdsr, I believe I have answered that in the reply I offered Capt Joe. You cannot hurt the fluid by adding Transynd to Dexron. I would not want to go the other way around because you would be contaminating Transynd. Now that said, the transmission doesn't care.
You must have been answering capt joe while I was asking just about the same question. I didnt see the answer untill a few min later. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I changed mine I did the first drain and refill, drove the RV for ten miles than did the 2nd drain and refill. If TranSynd is as good as they say (and I believe it is) than why not just get-r-done.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote