Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

Chevy 454 bad O2 sensors code

I have a Fleetwood southwind 32v. While on a trip I had the check engine light come on and it started losing power. Once I stopped shut it off, then started it back up it would run fine for a while. Had a mechanic pull codes and it said o2 sensor. He replace it and off we went. But it did it again. This is the 3rd time. The motor loses power won’t rev over 2 grand and acts like it needs to be cleaned out. Once I turn it off and back on it works fine until I hit a grade. Then it all starts over. Any help would be great
TeamKCRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #2

When is the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Did your mechanic test the fuel pressure?
Old 06-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pull codes. If the O2 sensor is toast again you have a fuel problem, like a leaking injector, MAF sensor or something driving the mixture rich.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I may be wrong, but I believe you have two O2 sensors, one on each manifold/exhaust. Did he replace both?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #5

What yr is the coach. With TBI Gm used 1 oxygen sensor with OBDI ECM's up till 95 or 96 when they change to OBD II. If you have 1 oxygen sensor , you can unplug it and try it out. With the sensor unplugged the engine it will run in open loop mode using only the engine temperature and throttle position sensor.

It could also be the temperature sensor for the ECM or a leaking fuel injector or MAP sensor.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #6

Folks read the OP's original posting, especially this part: " But it did it again. This is the 3rd time. The motor loses power won’t rev over 2 grand and acts like it needs to be cleaned out. Once I turn it off and back on it works fine until I hit a grade. Then it all starts over. "

That is the classic symptom description of a clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump. There are two sets of codes for the O2 sensor on GM products. One for running over rich and another for running too lean, which is what I think the OP is experiencing in this situation.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #7

yes fuel filter cheapest.. but check fuel pressure before and sfter.. my bet is bad fuel pump.. also check fuel pressure regulator on fuel rail.. there is a cheap 1/8 in vac line there and thay leak..you can buy after market fuel pressure gauges that mt on dash.. good luck and let us know what you find.. chevy put same eng as all their trucks, so big parts store c2500 or c3500 same yr will save you a lot..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #8

Thank you everyone I will pass this onto my guy
TeamKCRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #9

Put the year and engine detail in signature.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #10

Similar issue on my 1995 454 with TBI. I traced it down to a bad Throttle position sensor. when It happened on mine I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ECM and it drove normally for final 200 miles home. I found the problem by checking the voltage across the TPS. IIRC it should read around .5 volt in the idle position an increase smoothly ( no spikes up or down) to about 4.5-5 volts wide open. Buy an AC Delco TPS not an off- brand. I had to do the job twice because I tried to save $6

Another possible and known gremlin is the Temp sender to the ECM. This one is usually screwed into the thermostat housing on later models.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #11

You really need to look at the signal output for the O2 sensor, not just the codes, the codes could mean a bad sensor, or it could be mean an out of range value caused by an exhaust leak, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Similar issue on my 1995 454 with TBI. I traced it down to a bad Throttle position sensor. when It happened on mine I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ECM and it drove normally for final 200 miles home. I found the problem by checking the voltage across the TPS. IIRC it should read around .5 volt in the idle position an increase smoothly ( no spikes up or down) to about 4.5-5 volts wide open. Buy an AC Delco TPS not an off- brand. I had to do the job twice because I tried to save $6

Another possible and known gremlin is the Temp sender to the ECM. This one is usually screwed into the thermostat housing on later models.
Indeed Rick. Stick with AC Delco or Delphi brand parts when replacing anything. When it comes to plugs...AC Delco, Autolite or NGK coppers for the TBI engines. The CTS is on the fan side of the intake manifold just below the T-stat housing on TBI engines.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, chevy