RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Chevy P30 Power steering and Brakes not working when put in "Drive"

Hello I am new to this forum and looking forward to any help anyone here can give me concerning my 1993 Chevy P30 454ci 33' RV. I just put a new power steering pump in as well as a new hydro boost and thoroughly bled the brakes as well as the power steering..... but I only have power steering and brakes while the rig is in Park. When I put it in Drive I suddenly no longer have power steering or brakes. Might this have something to do with the Auto Park System or .....a valve somewhere....or what else do I need to look at and fix in order to get my power steering and brakes to work correctly while in gear? Thanks for any help.
Thor33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #2

It's possible the Autopark is involved since the older system used the power steering pump to provide pressure for the parking brake system.

Here's a website that has the best information on the Auto park.

AutoPark parking brake system help, troubleshooting, and repair

I had a later system that had it's own pump and I was having a problem with the system not always working when shifting from park to drive or back. Discovered there was a switch that was activated by a cam on the shift linkage that was out of adjustment.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

The power steering pump is used to release the autopark . The motorhome version requires a special high pressure power steering pump . There is also a valve which routes the fluid to the autopark, brakes and steering which may be the problem.
Does the power steering not work as soon as you shift from park , or is there a slight delay before it stops working.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
It's possible the Autopark is involved since the older system used the power steering pump to provide pressure for the parking brake system.

Here's a website that has the best information on the Auto park.

AutoPark parking brake system help, troubleshooting, and repair

I had a later system that had it's own pump and I was having a problem with the system not always working when shifting from park to drive or back. Discovered there was a switch that was activated by a cam on the shift linkage that was out of adjustment.
thanks. I just read that the HR-1 Relay Valve could be bad as well? Just had a new power steering pump and hydroboost installed so I agree it must be what you have mentioned. How would I go about adjusting the Shift Lever you mention?
Old 09-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #5

Hello and thanks so much for your help! I just had a new powersteering pump installed as well as a new hydroboost and the entire system bled of all air twice. I have been wondering if that HR-1 Relay Valve would be the next part that I need to replace? I'm assuming that I would then need to bleed the power steering system again?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #6

Hello again and thanks for your help ��. Might you be able to tell me where the HR-1 Relay Valve is located on my Chevy P30 Motorhome? I'm going to get under there today and remove it.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor33 View Post
Hello again and thanks for your help ��. Might you be able to tell me where the HR-1 Relay Valve is located on my Chevy P30 Motorhome? I'm going to get under there today and remove it.
They may have installed the WRONG pump. Better double check the numbers of the parts they installed. They may be the wrong ones.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #8

If you have a yellow knob you pull out to activate the autopark you won't have a can ans switch. On my system - a 1996 - underneath in front of the drivers front wheel you can see the shift linkage where it comes down through the floor. Part way down you'll see a cam with a plunger-like switch that rides on the cam. There are two places in in the cam, one for neutral and the other for park. If your autopark is engaging and disengaging properly when you move the shift lever in and out of park and neutral, the switch is properly adjusted. If the switch needs adjustment, you'll notice the switch it threaded into a bracket and has a lock nut on one side. You simply back off the lock nut and turn the switch in or out in the bracket, then retighten the lock nut.

I'm thinking the other posters are are on the right track. If you have the proper pump, the bypass valve may be the issue. On my second generation system the cam switch activated the autopark's own pump, but on your system it may activate the bypass valve. One thing to check is confirm there's power going to the valve when it supposed to have power.

What's weird is your system sounds like it is working backwards.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #9

Good morning and thank you so much. I will check for the cam shift switch today inside the driver's side wheel well. I sure hope that's all it is and not the HR-1 valve as those are $300 + ��
Old 09-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #10

I recently replaced a power steering hose on my '99 P-30. The factory shop manual bleeding procedure was to lift the front wheels off the ground, run the engine, and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock 30 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor33 View Post
Hello and thanks so much for your help! I just had a new powersteering pump installed as well as a new hydroboost and the entire system bled of all air twice. I have been wondering if that HR-1 Relay Valve would be the next part that I need to replace? I'm assuming that I would then need to bleed the power steering system again?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #11

Hello I am currently working to find that shift switch that rides on the Cam of the shift linkage that you talked about and I am not able to find it I am assuming it is up inside the RV as I took the leather cover off the steering column but I am not able to find it would you please be able to tell me where that switch isthank you

Tags
brake, brakes, chevy, p30, power, steering