Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #29

If I get the cap and fill it up with coolant and find no leak should I still have a mechanic check it out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Here’s my procedure for filling. It’s a hillbilly procedure that has served me well for a long time. The better shops have fancy machines that save time, money, and coolant.

Put a tarp, boxes, whatever you have that is dry and clean under the engine and radiator. You want to be able to spot leaks and drips

Check the oil. If it’s milky looking you have a major problem

Fill the radiator up with coolant to the tippy top of where the radiator cap goes. Leave the funnel set up. Try to not make a splashy mess

Hang out for a bit and have a cup of coffee or two. Look for drips around hoses, water pump, etc. also look up front at the heater core above the generator

Assuming that you don’t see any leaks at this point, start up the engine. Watch the temp gage go up and go out and look for drips and gushing leaks

During the warm up period, you might need to top up the coolant

There’s a device called a thermostat in the coolant system. It’s sometimes a source of trouble. When the temperature gage gets to about halfway (195f) you might see the coolant level drop noticeably. This is normal. Add more to top the radiator up and then put the cap on and tighten it up

If the temperature climbs above halfway, the thermostat might be bad. This is a different problem. Shut off the engine and let things cool off

Assuming that you are able to top off the radiator and put the cap on, let it run for another 5 minutes or so. Once the system builds pressure any leaks should become pretty obvious. Hoses, water pump, radiator etc really leaking coolant you need to deal with them

No leaks, temperature in the mid range, reservoir filled halfway, you should be ok to drive around and see if you have any problems.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck

Don’t overheat the engine whatever you do
Old 09-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #31

I dont think I feel comfortable getting filled correctly to allow me to drive. I could always call Coachnet and see will they send out a mechanic.

I need to get a cap first off.

Oh, do you know about the Gas pusher facebook page?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #32

Spoke to both Coachnet and the service shop.

Coachnet Tech said to fill it with water and check for leaks and drive to the shop. Shop says to fill it half up with coolant then check for leaks and continue to fill. Coachnet will tow if needs be.

I will check the workhorse book for the coolant type.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Well, if it's leaking coolant you would see a corresponding drop in reservoir tank level, or it may be dry and you're sucking air into the radiator. Look at the reservoir and see. If it's coolant you see and it's "rusty" you have more to worry about than just a leak.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Hi Mark,

I meant rusty in color, not containing rust.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #34

Manual states is its Dexcool coolant. The service shop manager told me that I need to put in a compatible coolant as we dont know what was put in previously.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Manual states is its Dexcool coolant. The service shop manager told me that I need to put in a compatible coolant as we dont know what was put in previously.

Prestone states on their bottle that it’s compatible with all other coolants. Since the engine never showed hot, You are probably only going to add a small amount mixed with water 50/50, Walmart also sells a generic Dexcool either premixed 50/50 or full strength.
Sometimes with a bad radiator cap, and the engine is either shutdown or ideled, the pressure in the cooling system rises and causes coolant to leak out past the faulty cap to the overflow hose
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #36

Thanks, I got some in Napa as needed a radiator cap also.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #37

The radiator took a half gallon and put some in the overflow. As per the Workhorse book I ran the engine with the cap off. Some fluid bubbled out.

I moved the coach so I could see any coolant leaks on the concrete drive.

I still think I should bring it in to get checked out.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_155753.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	302800
Old 09-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #38

By all means if you do not feel comfortable with what you have done have it checked out by someone who knows. A lot of us on here giving advice have worked on vehicles all our lives but if you don't understand these machines you definitely to get someone who knows look at it.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
By all means if you do not feel comfortable with what you have done have it checked out by someone who knows. A lot of us on here giving advice have worked on vehicles all our lives but if you don't understand these machines you definitely to get someone who knows look at it.
Hi David,

I really do appreciate the advice from everyone here.

Don't get me wrong I would rather not bring it to the shop tomorrow and having to pay as will have to take time off work. I am going to let the coach sit overnight and look for any leaks.

Issue is I cannot ascertain when the coolant was last changed, I have had the coach since spring 2018 and have not done it.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #40

I understand. It sounds like you are taking the right approach. Dexcool is pink in color so you can then determine which coolant is in it. If you feel you need to change, it by all means do it, then you know.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #41

We will be driving max another 500 miles this year before the coach is stored for winter. Another option is to get the radiator checked out in spring.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
We will be driving max another 500 miles this year before the coach is stored for winter. Another option is to get the radiator checked out in spring.

You got a lot of good advice in this thread. From the looks of your radiator cap and the dirty/rusty color of your coolant bottle and dip tube into the bottle I would lean toward a bad radiator cap. You are on the right track. The radiator is now full, you have a new radiator cap, you have the coolant bottle back to the proper level and I assume you have the hose to/from the coolant bottle hooked back up properly. These are all good things.

You need to mark your coolant level in the bottle so you can monitor it closely. Your bottle looks dirty and most of that is likely on the inside. Its too late to remove the bottle and clean it this year but you should consider cleaning the bottle in the spring before next season. But, mark the level in the bottle with a sharpie. Monitor the level closely. For sure check the level before you start the engine each time and immediately after you shut the engine down each time. The level shouldn’t change much. If it is up an inch when warm it should be back to the mark once its cooled back off. Monitoring the coolant level in the reservoir is something you should put on your preflight checklist every time. By checking this regularly you will easily notice when the level moves even 1/2”.

My personal opinion, from 5000 miles away, is you have probably solved your issue. The new radiator cap should eliminate that as the issue. The coolant level should remain relatively constant from this point forward. On your next trip monitor the level closely at every stop. If the level drops, like drops more than an inch or so in 500 miles you may have further issues. My guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised and the coolant level will hold steady and not move much from trip to trip.

All that said....... I would consider changing out the coolant next season. While at it remove and scrub the inside and outside of the coolant tank. Get some fresh coolant in that old girl. A decent shop should charge around $200 for a complete coolant change including the coolant flush/change kit and disposal.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, leak, workhorse