Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Common Denominator on Bosch Caliper Problem?

Now that it is over - hopefully - are there any lessons to be learned, is there a common demoninator regarding the failure of the calipers? For example, I live in a relatively humid environment in central TX, store my MH eight months consecutively every year just "exercising" it once a month while in place, then I effectively store it for four more months (at 5,400' with low humidity) with the difference being that I live in it for that time. I drive in the Rockies going to and returning from CO, use my engine to brake as much as possible and rarely encounter city stop and go traffic. I've never had so much as a hint of a brake problem (brake fluid is changed at least once every two years) and still would recommend the chassis manufacturer.

Of those who have experienced failures, do you/they live generally in the same region of the country or are they scattered all around? Are the climates roughly the same? Or are the problems simply a result of randomness? Is there anything those of us who have not have problems can learn from your problems?

I'm not interested in negative comments regarding the chassis manufacturer. I think we all agree they should have handled the matter differently. However, I'd prefer to having the comments pertain to the problem at hand rather than poor customer service.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As someone who has not had the problem, ) but as a careful observer, ( 38k, use conditions very much as yours, except long non use in Tucson ) I'm going to say that the root cause is (overly) absorbant pistons, with more than "heretofore necessary " fluid changes needed.This aside, it looks pretty random to me...rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The service advisor where we had our recall service stated that he is starting to see a trend. With all the snowbirds starting to arrive and having the recall done he is noticing the most evidence of brake caliper sticking are comming from areas of high humidity. Notably mid and upper atlantic states and upper midwest.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too late to edit my earlier post, so I'll add this. We spend the July --Oct months months living aboard in very humid locations, New Haven Ct., W. Central NJ, and just finishing our 4th in Central Missouri.. Every one of these summers were very rainy, and humid. I always pull out in the fall hoping the " brake demon" doesn't raise its ugly head, but so far, nothing.. Maybe Tucsons famous " Its a dry heat" sufficently desicates the pistons to carry me thru.:>)...rgr...
Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Common denominator on Bosch caliper problem

I have 18 thousand plus miles on my unit. When not in use unit is stored in insulated building with heat. Live in kentucky and had my first experience this past week. Brakes draging on driver side entering camp ground after 130 mile drive. Drove fine returning home.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's not the brake pistons it is the rain.
that reminds me of the guy with the mule that would not go in the barn because his long ears hit the top of the door opening. So he was digging a ditch for the mule and another guy says what are you doing? It's not his legs that to long It's his ears!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
that reminds me of the guy with the mule that would not go in the barn because his long ears hit the top of the door opening. So he was digging a ditch for the mule and another guy says what are you doing? It's not his legs that to long It's his ears!
Now, that's a good one, Master Chief!
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
They werent both retired USCG were they? Couldn't resist.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Ya know what’s funny. Being a fulltimer, I come in contact with a lot of Rvers. Every time I talk to one with a workhorse chassis I ask if they have had any problems with their brakes. I have never got a yes answer. Some don’t even know what I am talking about. I would say it was all a big hoax if it weren’t for this forum.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I am the same as Full-Timers. I travel with friends with the WH chassis and they have no clue as to what I'm talking about if I bring up the brake issue. I've learned to just leave it be. Same with others I've talked with when in casual acquaintance conversations. I live and travel in the west and south west. ???
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I doubt you will find a common denominator. I have 43,000 miles on my W22 rig. Have done lots of mountain driving and never (until Friday) had a problem. I have flushed the DOT 3 twice every year. However, on Friday, while driving thru Allentown, PA both front brakes started draging. I had just left the city and was on the I78 when I started smelling hot brakes. As I refuse to stop on the side of Interstate highways I drove six miles to the next exit. Both front brakes were red hot.

I called Workhorse and it was agreed that I should let them cool and see if they would release. They suggested a service center 50 miles away. My feeling was if I could get it 50 miles I would continue on to Myrtle Beach, where I already had the recall scheduled. I'm now 500 miles south of PA and think I'll make it ok.

I will add that the ABS/speed sensor(s) have failed which seems to go along with very hot brakes. My rotors were perfect before the melt down. I'm betting I now need at least two new rotors.

So! it seems to me that very low speed city driving may be the very worst thing you can do.

JoeG

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We are menbers of 3 chapters. of that maybe 15 workhorse chassic owners ; I have not heard one complaint about the breaks ;;they love there coach and the power it has.. HUMMMM sometimes I wonder;; Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bachler; please do not wait to have your recall done until you have a problem. It is a major issue when you encounter this problem while on-the-road and away from home-base. I was lucky, both front brakes released and I'm now 150 miles from the shop which will perform my recall, having driven about 600 trouble free miles since the melt down. I still have no ABS but the brakes feel fine however, I have been very easy on them. I would have had the recall done at home but no one in my area had parts.

JoeG

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post

Ron, maybe you are intending humor, but if not, if rain were the villian, my CRV would be draggin' the brakes. Mules aside, I still think the piston desigh and formulation is the root cause. The piston(s) appears to be excessivly hygroscopic, and I bet the new ones are a different formulation..rgr...