Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
New Radiator cap...
Hello... I was hoping you could post the radiator cap brand and model number. I’m losing coolant too and would like to start with the cap replacement. I did a search at a Workhorse parts site and come up with different part numbers, running from $15 to $50.

Thank you - RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #44

ACDelco RC81 GM Original Equipment or RC27
Old 04-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Hello... I was hoping you could post the radiator cap brand and model number. I’m losing coolant too and would like to start with the cap replacement. I did a search at a Workhorse parts site and come up with different part numbers, running from $15 to $50.

Thank you - RT

I bought it at Napa nothing special take your old one with you.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very interesting reading all these posts. My coach 2006 with 128K has had this "problem" since new. I have done all of the above, changed all hoses, water pump and radiator cap. My wife, a former service advisor for many brands, can smell coolant from a block away. Every trip, when I check the oil, she asks if I checked the coolant. We owned a shop for 37 years and between myself, GM, former GM techs we had working for us, No one has found where the leak is.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #47

coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Very interesting reading all these posts. My coach 2006 with 128K has had this "problem" since new. I have done all of the above, changed all hoses, water pump and radiator cap. My wife, a former service advisor for many brands, can smell coolant from a block away. Every trip, when I check the oil, she asks if I checked the coolant. We owned a shop for 37 years and between myself, GM, former GM techs we had working for us, No one has found where the leak is.
Intake manifold gaskets?

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #48

New Rad-Cap still losing Coolant?

(One Possibility)
Sometimes the Radiator Neck (Slide Rails) pull up a little over time. This prevents the cap from being pulled down tight and the rubber seal lets coolant pass when it builds pressure.
How to Test: After the Cap is on, push down on the cap to see if it move’s down. If its solid your good. If it moves down the rubber seal is not as tight as it could be, tap down on the slide rail “a little”. This pulls the cap down tighter preventing coolant from passing under the rubber seal before pressure lifts the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator Cap and Radiator Neck rails.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	241919  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool4x4 View Post
(One Possibility)
Sometimes the Radiator Neck (Slide Rails) pull up a little over time. This prevents the cap from being pulled down tight and the rubber seal lets coolant pass when it builds pressure.
How to Test: After the Cap is on, push down on the cap to see if it move’s down. If its solid your good. If it moves down the rubber seal is not as tight as it could be, tap down on the slide rail “a little”. This pulls the cap down tighter preventing coolant from passing under the rubber seal before pressure lifts the spring.
Well put, but if this was the issue wouldn't the overflow tank level increase from the seal leaking?

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #50

Yes (Maybe), I seen mine dripping from the cap. I tap down the rails and the drip stopped.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #51

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this issue has been talked about before on irv2. I did the radiator cap, the pressure test, and had numerous qualified mechanics look at and couldn’t diagnose my problem. My coolant temp sender leaked only when the engine was cold. It was by chance that after the OEM header was replaced with a Bank’s that the fluid took a different path and I could see it. I noticed a lot of rust on parts near the coolant temp sender. I strongly suggest some of you to look at the coolant temp sender on the passenger side between the two rear spark plugs. This is a common leak for the 8.1L. And the good news is it’s an easy fix.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpd View Post
Well put, but if this was the issue wouldn't the overflow tank level increase from the seal leaking?

My tank definitely rises as it gets up to temp. I check for loss after it has cooled like in the morning. I will look at the sending unit again.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #53

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation

I’m pretty sure there’s a WHCC technical bulletin and numerous posts on checking radiator fluid level and the false readings from the overflow tank. After the engine has cooled to a safe temperature I’ll remove my radiator cap to check my fluid level. The tank is a quick visual but certainly not a reliable indicator that something is wrong.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRV4FUN View Post
I’m pretty sure there’s a WHCC technical bulletin and numerous posts on checking radiator fluid level and the false readings from the overflow tank. After the engine has cooled to a safe temperature I’ll remove my radiator cap to check my fluid level. The tank is a quick visual but certainly not a reliable indicator that something is wrong.

It’s going somewhere if you always have to top it off to the cold mark when it’s cold. If I don’t it will eventually be empty. It’s not coming out the tanks overflow.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
It’s going somewhere if you always have to top it off to the cold mark when it’s cold. If I don’t it will eventually be empty. It’s not coming out the tanks overflow.
I absolutely believe that you have a coolant issue and I know what that feels like. Sorry I hijacked your thread. I learned from the iRV2 WHCC legends that used to post here that the overflow tank is NOT ALWAYS a good indicator of the actual radiator fluid level. Also remember a Technical Bulletin on this subject. Also as I took note of this potential discrepancy I noticed this to be the case.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it wasn’t going somewhere the overflow tank once pressure cools down would return to the same level. Now if that cold level was too much it would expand and go out the overflow, however no signs of that.