Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2022, 10:36 PM   #1

Cruise control not working

I have a 2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE With the 8.1L V-8 Gas Eng. My cruse control worked well on my first trip. On my 2nd trip it did not work at all. I assumed the obvious and checked the fuse up in the front Eng. compartment and it was fine. Does any one have a suggestion as to where I should look next?
garyw148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 11:51 PM   #2

Brake switch. The brake pedal turns off cruise, so maybe that’s causing it.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:07 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Ford with the V-10, when my cruise control stopped working so did my horn. I checked the fuses, brake switch and found it to be the the 'clock spring' in the steering wheel. Was an easy fix for me 15 min or so. I would check you horn, if that does not work, it is probably your clock spring.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #4

Bad ground on left rear brake light can cause this problem.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Brake switch. The brake pedal turns off cruise, so maybe that’s causing it.

The brake pedal may have two switches. One to cancel the cruise when you tap the pedal and one for the brake lights.
when this happen try lifting the brake pedal with your toe.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #6

I will try all your answers and let you know.
Thanks to all.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In all likelihood the brake light switch on the brake pedal came out of adjustment. Mine quit working on the first day of the trip we are now on. When driving, if I used my foot to pull back on the brake pedal, the cruise would work. It's done this to me before. Simple fix. You'll find the brake light switch on the steering column just infront of the brake pedal. Just push the switch closer to the brake pedal. It's sort of a rachet afair and you'll hear it click.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
In all likelihood the brake light switch on the brake pedal came out of adjustment. Mine quit working on the first day of the trip we are now on. When driving, if I used my foot to pull back on the brake pedal, the cruise would work. It's done this to me before. Simple fix. You'll find the brake light switch on the steering column just infront of the brake pedal. Just push the switch closer to the brake pedal. It's sort of a rachet afair and you'll hear it click.
Can you post a picture where the brake light switch is for reference? Please
abyass85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyass85 View Post
Can you post a picture where the brake light switch is for reference? Please
Location is under the dash , right side of steering column touching the brake pedal arm .

Here's a picture and a diagram , if the brake light switch doesn't hold it's adjustment then both the switch and the retainer have to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workhorse brake light switch.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	371991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workhorse brake light switch.gif
Views:	28
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	371992  

Old 07-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #10

I am still playing with this problem. Lifting the brake peddle did not do it. I only found one fuse location in the front Eng. compartment per the book and it was not blown. Is there another fuse in one of the other locations?
Old 08-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #11

Gary ; complete wiring diagrams for your chassis should be available at the site below.

I'm not sure if the half of the brake light switch that signals the ECM about cruise function is a normally open or normally closed switch , so if you do find more info on the cruise control , a continuity test of the switch maybe in order .

The switch could still be the issue.

Workhorse Technical Info
Old 08-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #12

Gary,

On our ‘02 W22 I found the slide switch on the turn signal lever must develop a little surface tarnish on the contacts. Same thing happened on our ‘91 Chevy P30 chastised coach.

To fix, I press down on the slide with my thumb and slide it back and forth 5-6 times. It starts working after that.
Doesn’t quit working every time between trips, but when it quits, that’s what I do and it starts working again.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #13

I don’t know if this would apply to you, but on my 2001 P32 chassis, when my cruise quit working, I found the wire harness that goes down the steering column and connects to the dash harness had started to pull apart causing the cruise to quit.
The connector has 8-10 wires (maybe more) in it and is located on the backside of the steering column near the bottom. The only way I could see mine was to pull the dash face out and look straight down to the connector. I fixed it with wire ties that hold the connector together. No more issues.

Hope you find your fix. When you do, let us know what you find.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote