Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went out to check the mileage on my motorhome today and found the LCD readout almost illegible again. This happened to me a year ago and I had it replaced. It is not the contrast and it can't be fixed by going into the diagnostic mode. By illegible I mean it looks like writing with a skipping ballpoint pen. Has anyone had their LCD readout replaced twice? If so, is Workhorse going to fix it in the future as my 3 year warranty expires on June 28th?
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went out to check the mileage on my motorhome today and found the LCD readout almost illegible again. This happened to me a year ago and I had it replaced. It is not the contrast and it can't be fixed by going into the diagnostic mode. By illegible I mean it looks like writing with a skipping ballpoint pen. Has anyone had their LCD readout replaced twice? If so, is Workhorse going to fix it in the future as my 3 year warranty expires on June 28th?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred K:
If so, is Workhorse going to fix it in the future as my 3 year warranty expires on June 28th? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've had my IP replaced once and so far so good no more problems. I do believe that you should return to the service canter and have them look at the IP cluster again and have them fix it under warranty.

It's possible that you may have gotten a second bad IP cluster, "it" happens.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jobrien...Am having mine replaced Friday for the first time.Illegible with lines like yours.Hope I don't have to replace again only have 5000Mi. so far.
Babba-b
05 TREK 29 RBD.
97 Tracker
And WILLY THE DOG
Bubba-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had to replace mine twice, once because I could not reset the trip meters and the second time because of the LCD bad, just like yours. It is the LCD module and they will have to replace the panel.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can read mine and it looks normal to me, but everytime I take the MH in to K&C RV for something else they want to change my LCD thing. They said it's one of the bad ones. I told them that Transwest did the instrument cluster recall, but I have no idea what they did. I could'nt tell any difference. Transwest only had the Mh for a day. K&C said they need to keep the coach for 7 to 10 days to change the LCD thing. Does that sound right? 7 to 10 days seems ridiculous to change the LCD readout but if that's the norm to replace a defective screen maybe Workhorse should give me another new MH to use for that 7 to 10 days. If they do that for a few of us, they'll soon figure out it would be cheaper if they just gave their dealers few hundred of them to install in about a half hour.
Does every body else have to leave it for a week or more to do this?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd just tell them that I need Full Hook up for the duration. I won't leave My RV with the dealer for 7 days, unless I can strip everything out of it. They make you sign that they are not responsible for theftand/or loses, etc... Well.....I am the security. I stay with the RV.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've already set up an appointment to have the IP Cluster replaced. I'm having it done at Redlands Truck Service. They did it for me before and only took a couple days. I emailed Workhorse and according to them, it will always be covered, even after my three years are up. We'll see about that...
Old 04-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
If they do that for a few of us, they'll soon figure out it would be cheaper if they just gave their dealers few hundred of them to install in about a half hour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The delay is caused by the IP needing to be removed, packed, shipped to Actia and the mileage that's on the IP needs to be transferred to the new IP before it is shipped back to the servicer. Only Actia can accomplish this task. This is now a "Federal" thing because you're re-dialing in an odometer and they are picky about that.

It's not just about popping in a new IP. It may take 7 to 10 business days depending on how the package is routed but it is expected that the IP should be replaced as soon as possible in order to get our motorhomes out of the shop.

Neither Workhorse, Ford, Freightliner, Spartan, Roadmaster, Newell or another motorhome chassis manufacturer will give you or loan you a motorhome for any period of time in the event of a short term warranty issue.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred K:
I emailed Workhorse and according to them, it will always be covered, even after my three years are up. We'll see about that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you have something in writing from Workhorse that they will stand by the IP why then why would you assume a position that it remains to be seen whether or not Workhorse will honor its commitment?

It would appear that Redlands is doing you right by getting your motorhome in and out pretty quickly so it doesn't look like there's a problem with the center.

If it were me I'd say thanks for standing by me through these issues and I appreciate that you're going to take of this thing it it fails again.

I'm in your corner when we're sometimes disappointed by the performance of the Actia Instrument Panel but it's getting better.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
If they do that for a few of us, they'll soon figure out it would be cheaper if they just gave their dealers few hundred of them to install in about a half hour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The delay

Neither Workhorse, Ford, Freightliner, Spartan, Roadmaster, Newell or another motorhome chassis manufacturer will give you or loan you a motorhome for any period of time in the event of a short term warranty issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well WH should'nt use this unproven unreliable technology in our MH's to use us as a product test. Actia should come to us and fix their mistake and lose the use of their vehicle for 7 to 10 business days for every deective unit they sold. If it was any other vehicle except a MH, a car , pick up, an OTR truck , delivery truck, a piece of heavy equipment or any thing else, they would never get away with holding that vehicle for 7 to 10 days without it costing them a lot of money for a replacement vehicle. It would just be cheaper for them , as we as the "right thing to do" to just change it at our house in an hour or less.
The RV industry gets away with stuff that no other industry can even come close to.
The odometer reading??????, "a federal thing" that's their problem, Actia should have thought about that before they sold it and WH should have thought about that before they bought it, and me too. I will next time.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't blame you there rogueii had MH broken into at dealer smashed window , stripped TV,VCR,MICRO tried for radio couldn't get out. Coach had alarm sys but not on wife and I think it was inside job, six others also broken into. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
both times my IP was replaced, the center took the milage reading, sent it to Actia and in a week the new (refurbished?) panel was to the center and then they replaced it. Kept the motor home where it belonged, at home.

There is nothing hi-tech at all about the IP.
everything used in it is technology that was proved many years ago. Apparently, Actia got a batch of bad LCD modules and they will have to be worked out of the existing panels.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by al koffman:
There is nothing hi-tech at all about the IP.
everything used in it is technology that was proved many years ago. Apparently, Actia got a batch of bad LCD modules and they will have to be worked out of the existing panels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for saying that I was sorta running out of dialog for Max49.

When I lived in Connecticut I often would go to Greenwich. There you could buy the most exotic vehicles on the planet, for some reason they all had service departments including Rolls Royce. I guess anything made by a human can have it's little challenges that are eventually straightened out by another human.

Not even the Ferrari dealership went without a service department, I wonder why.