Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #1

Davis Tru Trac vs Safe T Plus- Death Wobble help!

Hello,

I have a 2005 Southwind 32V on a Workhorse W-20 and experienced the dreaded death wobble. I was driving over some potholes when my motorhome steering wheel just started violently shaking. Scariest thing I've experienced driving. Ever. I took it to the local RV auto shop and they said everything looks tight and perfect. They suggested a steering stabilizer but when I talk to Camping World (and go to some RV forums) it's suggested that I get a Davis Tru Trac bar. Does anyone have any suggestions on one over the other before I pull the trigger? Or better yet, both (don't really want to since its $$$)? Any suggestions would help, thank you in advance!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #2

I'm more familiar with the F53 chassis the Workhorse. But we used both on our coach. I consider the Safety-T-Plus to be insurance to help keep control during a front tire blowout. So, added it for that reason. I think it helped also in cross wind situations too, especially during sudden shifts in wind direction.

Davis has front and rear chassis handling aids, at least for the F53, and I added them both.

One other place to check, is with Henderson's Line-up. They gave me good over the phone support, as I talked thru what it was that I was trying to correct. I had to call back only twice, as the first gent that helped me suggested I call back the next day and ask for a certain person, to answer a question I had about shocks.

Only costs the call of an 800 phone call, to get some input from a place with a good reputation.

And, this maybe better to post over under Workhorse Chassis forum?

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
It's my understanding the two accomplish different tasks. The Davis bar stabilizes the frame rails. The Safe T Plus will keep you going straight down the road. I would think the Safe T Plus would be the place to start. BTW if you should experience a front blow out, the Safe T Plus will help you maintain control.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #4

This helps. I think Im getting more confident about the steering stabilizer since it seems like it will help with all types of erratics movements. I will also post on the Workhorse forum too. Thank you everyone!

2005 Fleetwood Southwind
Workhorse W-20
Old 08-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safe-T-Plus has life time warrantee. You Tube videos show how to DIY install. I have it on my W24 WH and love it.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Have you checked the tire balance? Also warped brake rotors can cause wobbling but usually more when the brake pedal is pressed. I think I'd have the tires balanced before adding anything. Nothing wrong with adding a stabilizer, etc but take care of the basics first.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

All good suggestions here. However, before going further, I would get a second opinion from a more experienced shop such as an actual truck service center. I find it hard to believe that CW found nothing wrong, I would take their opinion with a grain of salt. My experiences with CW give me little faith in them.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

We made two short trips of about 400 miles each without a steering damper. The bumpy roads made the steering wheel jump left and right, violently at times. Being new to driving a large rig, the cross winds, crown of the road, ruts in the pavement and occasional passing semi would push me around pretty good and give me a fright. Combine that with the horror stories of front tire blow outs, and I decided something had to be done.

Several weeks ago I installed the Safe-T-Plus myself and we took off for a nearly 4,000 mile round trip. Just got back a couple of days ago. I can say in all honestly that the unit worked as advertised. The rig tracked straight down the highway and the overall behavior in steering was greatly improved. The only thing it couldn't compensate for is a steady, strong cross wind, which would push anything around. But gusts, no problem!

I prefer my steering to not be too neutral, so I left it ever so slightly to the left so I have something to hold onto when steering. I do the same with my classic cars.

I don't have any experience with other products, so I can't make a comparison. Only reporting what I just discovered in the past few weeks from first hand experience.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #9

Thank you everyone! It looks like the stabilizer is a go! I'll try that and see if that fixes my death wobble. Btw, I took it to Petes Road Service and they found nothing wrong. They work on commercial chassis specifically so they know what to look out for.

2005 Fleetwood Southwind
Workhorse W-20
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Am I able to install the stabilizer while the motorhome is on the ground?

2005 Fleetwood Southwind
Workhorse W-20
Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRod View Post
Am I able to install the stabilizer while the motorhome is on the ground?

2005 Fleetwood Southwind
Workhorse W-20
Only if you are slim enough to slide under the motorhome.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest (And in fact I took my own advice here) both.

I put in Blue-OX True Center stering stablizer and a Davis Tru-Track track bar..

The two devices address two different issues.. The stablizer is the one that best addresses your issue. but I'd put in the trac bar as well.

I suspect you have an issue with your front suspension.. Death wobble usually means one or more of your suspension components is wore out.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #13

I installed mine while it was on the ground. I just fit under the coach though and it was hard getting the proper torque on the bolts, but do-able. I had to buy 1 1/8" sockets to get it done. Turns out the average guy doesn't have this size. FYI - AutoZone sells them in singles.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #14

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I will most likely go with both but will be using the stabilizer for now!

2005 Fleetwood Southwind
Workhorse W-20

Tags
steering