Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
500 miles later and my leakage is solved . Radiator cap seal was old and under running pressure it leaked. The $10.40 radiator cap controls the coolant system like a pressure cooker.

Also, power drained Dex-cool and replaced fluid with newer UNIVERSAL coolant. No more fluid loss.

Dex-cool has too many reported problems and I'm not interested in joining the class-action lawsuits. So, I've taken the plunge and replaced the Dex-cool with the newer UNIVERSAL coolant. Too many potential problems with Dex-cool...

After reading an WH iRv2 thread on coolant replacements, I noticed that some of you are not exactly mixing your Dex-cool with water at the 50/50 rate. I'd suggest to Google "Dex-cool". Dex-cool requires a 50/50 mix or else your Ph will not be properly maintained and multiple problems can result. Dex-cool is very Ph sensitive in a narrow range. So be careful not to be out-of-balance .

2003 P32
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
500 miles later and my leakage is solved . Radiator cap seal was old and under running pressure it leaked. The $10.40 radiator cap controls the coolant system like a pressure cooker.

Also, power drained Dex-cool and replaced fluid with newer UNIVERSAL coolant. No more fluid loss.

Dex-cool has too many reported problems and I'm not interested in joining the class-action lawsuits. So, I've taken the plunge and replaced the Dex-cool with the newer UNIVERSAL coolant. Too many potential problems with Dex-cool...

After reading an WH iRv2 thread on coolant replacements, I noticed that some of you are not exactly mixing your Dex-cool with water at the 50/50 rate. I'd suggest to Google "Dex-cool". Dex-cool requires a 50/50 mix or else your Ph will not be properly maintained and multiple problems can result. Dex-cool is very Ph sensitive in a narrow range. So be careful not to be out-of-balance .

2003 P32
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I removed mine about 3 weeks ago... I didn't have any problems and I did use a 50/50 mix when adding. I didn't use much but I was adding Dex Cool 3 or 4 times a year. I did some research and there are just to many problems being reported.

I have gone to good old Prestone.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:04 AM   #4

Can you provide more info about problems with DEX-COOL?

Our Bounder has required only a quart of coolant added in 20,000 miles.

The manual states "use only DEX-COOL".
Does use of other coolant affect warranty?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 AM   #5

Just do a Google search for Dex Cool Problems.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last night's news had an article on the worst used cars. Out of the top 10 FOUR were fords, including the F-150 and super duty pickups (#1 on the worst list I might add)

#10 on the worst list was "GM PRODUCTS WITH DEX-COOL"

The story was the radiators can clog up due to something in the Dex-Cool.

And that is the first I knew about a problem with it.

If it is as bad as the news implied I would expect, at the least, a TSB on the stuff.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #7

I have added less than a quart in 15K miles. I too would like to hear problems our RV community has had with DEX COOL. I don't really care what problems Joe in Iowa is having with his Impala or whatever. I have a friend that has a super duty PU with the 8.1 he drives it hard and has close to 100K miles on it with no coolant related problems. What does all that mean to me??

What kind of problems are we seeing in the RV world?

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tincup:

I don't really care what problems Joe in Iowa is having with his Impala or whatever.

I might add that this includes Joes motorcycle, boat and race cars too.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #9

ya know, I don't know if Dex-Cool is made form torpedo juice, or glycol. I'm not sure I'd know if you told me. What I do know is that I'm not leaving any coolant in anything I own for 5 years or 50,000 miles. I wouldn't leave it in Joe's Impala, his boat or his motorcycle. I change mine every year. It costs about $20.00. I think I can afford it and so can Joe if he's got all those toys.
FullAstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
After reviewing for the past hour or more quite a bit of written material concerning DexCool by cooling system experts the premise or claim that DEX is NG may be premature.

The jury has not even sat down yet and we're all rushing to hang DEX but we normally do that anyway. If someone rumors that something is bad then the rumor mill whips up an ugly fur-ball of misconceptions and untruths and pretty soon it's off to the gallows without so much as a scintilla of tangible proof.

It is worthwhile saying that there are millions on cars on the road at this moment that continue to perform as intended all having DexCool without any mechanical difficulties, I say it's a significant detractor to the case against DexCool.

Coincidentally as I was shopping for shop towels at a local NAPA here in Goshen, I did take note that DexCool was priced at 11.95 a gallon and most all glycol based AFs were less than half of that.

On the assembly floor at Workhorse there looks to be 2 100+ gallon bulk containers of coolant one for diesel applications and the other clearly labeled DexCool.

We haven't seen any "proof" or allegation in this forum that an owner has been adversely impacted by the use of DexCool.

I'm letting the legal system run its course and yes there is a case being pursued in Missouri. Two other states dismissed their cases out of hand.

Are we ready to assume "Guilty" until proven innocent? That's not really the way we do things - is it?

My recent cooling system service comprised of flushing and refilling the cooling system including the replacement of the T-Stat and Radiator cap. The system was refilled with DexCool.

The recommended service interval was performed at approximately the 5 year mark by Larry's in Myrtle Beach, an authorized service center and the cooling system was found to be clean at that time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect you have hit on the major problem with DEX-COOL...

"The Recommended Service Interval was performed"

Thus, you have no problem

Others... have problems because: The recommended service interval was NOT performed
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 AM   #12

Are we prejudging Dex Cool.... maybe But, in all my years working on cars I have never seen a AF related failure and I have seen some really nasty radiators.

Proving that the AF caused the failure would be almost impossible for the average consumer.

As for Dex Cool in the factory... WCC probably does not have choice. Diesels probably would not use Dex Cool as they require a special additive due to the cylinder liners.

I have a problem with the 100,00 mile claims. If you read the info closely they hedge there bet by saying that you need to check on some schedule and replace as necessary.

Now that I have Prestone type AF I will probably change every couple years.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
As per the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on regular 'ole Prestone and Dex Cool, the Dex Cool contains Phosphoric acid and regular anti freeze contains NO Phosphoric acid.

If we can get KIWI off the roof of his new shed, he could explain the chemical process of phosphoric acid and iron (oxide).
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote