Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #1

Drained Block & Rad, got just over 4Gals;

Just drained cooling system including removal of all hoses and drained both sides of the block. VERY carefully saved all fluid, and no the system was not low. Got 4 gals I qt. and some ozs. Does that sound right? Where is the rest hiding??? Book says 5.8 gals. and 2.75 Anti freeze.? Duuh.
David Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #2

2.75 gal of A/F concentrate in a 5.8 gal system , would yield a 50/50 mix and protection to -30f approx .
Old 11-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Block draining

Yeah I know That. My question is WHERE is the other Gallon and a half. Rad drained, cap removed, Lower hose removed , both side of the block drained by taking out the drain plugs.?? Where's the Water??
Old 11-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Block Drainng

Just to be clear here it is in a Workhorse W 22 with an 8.i liter engine. Iguess I should have said that first, DuuuH
Old 11-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reid View Post
Yeah I know That. My question is WHERE is the other Gallon and a half. Rad drained, cap removed, Lower hose removed , both side of the block drained by taking out the drain plugs.?? Where's the Water??
First post you said all the hoses , in your next you only mentioned the lower rad hose ; upper rad hose is one possibility , heater core another .

Most thermostats won't drain the upper rad hose back into the block , and if they do it's VERY slowly.

Nearly 4 decades of coolant system flushes and I never saw a coolant spec that was 100% accurate . If your trying to flush the system , fill with straight water , run engine to full operating temp , drain and repeat. After you've drained the second time , install 3 gals of A/F concentrate , top up with water and run to operating temp, to mix .

After , many, many engine removals , I can also say that no matter how well you figure you've drained the cooling system to avoid a mess , as soon as the engine is swinging from a hoist you'll see a lot more coolant sloshing onto your coveralls, it's hiding in there somewhere .
Old 11-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #6

Need to account for coolant in the heater core and hoses to it.

Don't know on your engine if some may be trapped in the water pump or whether that would drain when you drained the block.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
US1

I always use a heavy wire, small screwdriver or something to probe around the block lower drains. Rust sediment can block the drains from draining all the AF out
Old 11-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #8

Block Drain

I removed every hose to include the heater hoses. Over night i left a bucket under the lower Rad hose opening, maybe 4oz. more so i just have to assume that it is what it is. 4 gals., one quart, 8.1L
Old 11-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #9

Rad Drain

Just in case. I change my coolant every two years so there is no sediment in the system. I am afraid to touch that radiator drain cock in case something happens, then rad has to come out. Know somebody that happened to! I just dill a 1/8 in hole in the lower hose and open the cap and wait. When stops running, half hour or so I open the cap, Then after that I take off the lower hose. I never reuse hoses so that is an easy way to get water out with no mess. Block plugs same way, Open till they start running a thin line and wait. OTHERWISE it's antifreeze bath time. (Ask me how I Know:facepalm):
Old 11-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #10

Rad Drain

Just in case. I change my coolant every two years so there is no sediment in the system. I am afraid to touch that radiator drain cock in case something happens, then rad has to come out. Know somebody that happened to! I just dill a 1/8 in hole in the lower hose and open the cap and wait. When stops running, half hour or so I take the cap off, Then after that I take off the lower hose. I never reuse hoses so that is an easy way to get water out with no mess. Block plugs same way, Open till they start running a thin line and wait. OTHERWISE it's antifreeze bath time. (Ask me how I Know)
Old 11-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curious what coolant you use.

Has nothing to do with where it's hiding...just wanted to know your coolant brand of choice.

Also what do you do with the coolant you drained?

Here where I live it's illegal to just drain into the street and let it go down the storm sewers. Because of that I now go to my Workhorse dealer for coolant changes.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #12

The bombproof way to do it is to:

Drain coolant, heater valve wide open through the whole procedure.

Fill with tap water. Run engine until water has heated enough to open the thermostat plus 5 minutes to circulate it Let it cool down and drain. Do this once if what is then drained is clear-- more until clear if needed. On some engines/configurations, you have to make sure you don't have an air block in the thermostat-- thermostat requires liquid, not hot air to open.

Final rinse with distilled water.

Drain and fill 1/2 capacity with coolant concentrate and top off with distilled water. You really don't care how much distilled water you need to add vs how much is trapped in the system, you KNOW you have a 50/50 mixture.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Curious what coolant you use.

Also what do you do with the coolant you drained?

Here where I live it's illegal to just drain into the street and let it go down the storm sewers. Because of that I now go to my Workhorse dealer for coolant changes.

Same issue here. I called the state and they told me to flush it down the toilet and the sewage treatment plant would handle it. I told them I have a septic tank, they advised not to do that!

We do have a hazardous waste pickup once every so often and I take it there for disposal. Just got rid of several gallons from over two years of storing at home. It’s definitely a pain to dispose of properly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #14

Coolant drain

Arch, I use Delco Orange stuff, but I have also used Prestone Dex-cool orange. I found that there is a lot of water in the block, like 2 gals. or so. So if your not draining the block your just wasting your time. Most shops now have machines that flush the whole system, but I'm 75 miles south of Tucson and don't want to pay 3 or 4 Hundred for a "Cooling System Flush" is what they call it.
I take my used coolant to a friend of mine that has a shop. Wait till I have some serious work to do before taking it there though. More trouble than it's worth for just a coolant change.