Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #1

Went under the rig looking for the petcock to drain the coolant (to replace the DexCool). Could not find it at the bottom of the radiator. Where is it?

Is it recommended to flush the radiator with a cleaner; or just R&R? I plan on 12 qts of Dexcool, for about a 50% mix. Comments? Thanks.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #2

Went under the rig looking for the petcock to drain the coolant (to replace the DexCool). Could not find it at the bottom of the radiator. Where is it?

Is it recommended to flush the radiator with a cleaner; or just R&R? I plan on 12 qts of Dexcool, for about a 50% mix. Comments? Thanks.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Went under the rig looking for the petcock to drain the coolant (to replace the DexCool). Could not find it at the bottom of the radiator. Where is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thudman, Try looking on the side tanks. It's where the service manual says they are located. Tighten to 13 lbs/ft.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it recommended to flush the radiator with a cleaner; or just R&R? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I just went through this and the consensus of opinion was not to use any type of cleaner. It could damage internal engine components.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I plan on 12 qts of Dexcool, for about a 50% mix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My servicing dealer told me that he was able to install 2 gallons. He also pulled the threaded plugs out of each side of the block to drain as much as possible. Finishing up the coolling system service, get a new radiator cap.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #4

DriVer:
Thx for the usual good advice. The radiator cap slipped my mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My servicing dealer told me that he was able to install 2 gallons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two gallons of Dexcool; or two gallons total of Dexcool & water?

Thudman

Old 06-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just did my dexcool service last month.

Radiater petcock was at lower left (DS) tank. Had a weird stem on the valve and was hard to turn but workable. Drain block both sides and flushed several times. Removed one heater hose and refilled SLOWLY thru it allowing it to burp. Added 2 1/2 gallons pure dex. Then added almost same amount of distilled water. Overall pretty close to 6 gallons total. Block drain plugs look like metric and I was unable to get a petcock to fit. So reused original drain plugs.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Two gallons of Dexcool??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was told that's what went in to the engine. I don't have any reason to doubt that.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #7

A bit off topic; but after crawling under the rig again, I said forget it; and called a lcl WH truck shop for a quote on three svc items:
-R&R xmsn fluid w/Autran Syn 295, drop the pan, & R&R two fltrs (spin-on & internal).
-Lube calipers; check condition of rotors/pads.
-R&R radiator fluid (& flush), fill w/Dexcool & distilled water. New cap.

Est price: about $450. Sound reasonable? I know DIY is cheaper. I'm having problems dealing w/the waste oils & hassle anyway.

Thudman

Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Est price: about $450. Sound reasonable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thudman, Go for the T-Stat as well and "Yes" that price works for me.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #9

Forgot about the T-stat. Thx.

Thudman

Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you've never changed out your brake fluid since 2003 (like me) you will feel a marked improvement in the feel of the brake pedal. I can't swear to it but the brakes feel a lot smoother. I also had the pins lubed.

Tweak that afterburner and you'll have a really nice machine.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #11

Had my brake system flushed & fluid replaced about six mos ago. Should have had the calipers lubed at same time. Oh well.

Thudman