Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

DUMBnEASY reporting - 1987 Dolphin 2700 Class A

Don't let the screen name fool you. I just figured it's better to have people think you're dumb and easy when you're not, than have them think you're smart.....when you're not.
I've been living in my 1987Dolphin since June of 2014 having purchased it 2 weeks before. Have owned several Class C's, but this is my first Chevy on a P30. Was a Dodge guy before.
So far I have changed both rear air bags, the water heater, a leaky fuel regulator localed by the gas tank in the frame behind the rear wheels, and other assorted odd jobs. Now getting ready to install a new AC compressor but haven't figured out how to get to the belts with this false front. Will NOT be easy I expect. And naturally, the AC compressor belt is to the inside of the other belts.
I am thinking of drilling the two piece fan shroud and installing extruded u nuts to keep the bottom in place after I get rid of those dang staples. I am hoping that the bottom half fan shroud removal will give me additional access. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.
My name is Steve and emails are welcome.
dumbneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

I haven't had a dolphin, But I had a couple P-30 Southwinds, 84 & 89. To get room for the belts, I'd lift the front, set jack stands & remove front wheels. that left room to replace alternator & belts. Probably could have pulled compressor too, but didn't need to. That's been a few years, but that should give you some room. the only thing you could get to from the front were the batteries,dipstick & radiator cap.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your task.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome ART and John1

I read your post, ART and immediately put down the keyboard and crawled under me rig. There sure is a lot of stuff between the front wheel and the engine. Holy Cow! I guess the good news is that the wheel well cover has been tie-wrapped in place so it should come out pretty easy. However, even with it gone I do not see an easy access.
I went to Harbor Freight yesterday and picked up some crow's feet. Like the compressor, I'm thinking I can loosen other belts from the rear if I have to. The problem is that if I have to loosen them, I should probably just change them at the same time. But to do that I have to see where they go! LOL!
I think I'm going to drill and remove the bottom of the fan shroud to see if the access is any easier. I'd take some pictures if it works out, but I don't do video well. Wondering if we can post pics instead of video? Anyway, thanks for the get-back!
Steve Hartman from Lincoln, MT, but stuck next to my house in my Dolphin in Santa Cruz, CA.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

1985-1989 Belts of P30 454 CID

Well thanks for the welcome all y'all! This here's a right friendly place. I feel right at home.
Now about my problem with belts. Today I crawled under my rig to check out the fan shroud. The shroud is a two piece - half on top and half on the bottom. And of course, no bolts to piece them together. Chevy used staples made of ... titanium maybe? (LOL!) Toughest dang staples I ever did work with. Two on the driver's side of the shroud and three on the other side.
First I got a long 5/16 drill bit and drilled two nicely spaced holes on each shroud side to the outside of the staples. Then, 1 got a ten inch long 1/4" hex extension and slapped a grinding wheel on the end of it. I proceeded to grind the bent over portions of the staples off so I could separate the fan shroud.
Once separated I pushed up on the bottom clips from the lower shroud amd pushed that bottom shroud portion up in front of the fan. What an amazing view!
The lower portion of the bottom radiator hose was right in front of me. You can see all the pulleys except for the alternator. You can see the routing for both air pumps, the water pump, the power steering pump, etc. It is definitely the way to attack your motor and belts. I'll let you know more when I get the AC compressor back. The one they sent me yesterday had the wrong housing in back so they're sending another one.
As for getting the shroud back together, I will be using four 1/4" extruded U-nuts in lieu of new staples. Should go back together just like it was.
I have also found that both the AC compressor and the alternator have to be adjusted from behind the engine instead of in front of the engine. Crows Feet are a plus if you've got 'em. Looks pretty easy once you've felt around for the lock down bolts. The tension bolt on the compressor is almost automatic and on the alternator it's pretty accessible. You do have to remove the 4" plastic air intake line that runs to the air cleaner though. Only phillips screws held it in; but it was still a trying experience.
I'd guess time was about 2 1/2 hrs, but the first time is the hardest. Splitting the housing isn't a fun job, but if you plan on keeping your rig you're gonna have to do it sooner or later, anyway. So, I'd say it's a great little project for now so that when the time comes to have to get to those belts or the hose, the task will be much easier.
Best o'luck. Will post pics after I get the compressor installed.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome - so it seems they are the original 30 year old belts? If so I'd by direct replacement name brand for all 3 and be done with it. I assume it's a 454cid.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbneasy View Post
I am thinking of drilling the two piece fan shroud and installing extruded u nuts to keep the bottom in place after I get rid of those dang staples. I am hoping that the bottom half fan shroud removal will give me additional access. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.
My name is Steve and emails are welcome.
Steve, my 2003 belt was simply accessed and replaced by removing lower fan shroud. your older Dolphin may be similar enough to try same appoach.

If I had to replace compressor I would try from the dog house opening after belt removal.

I used 2 clip nuts on each side of the fan shroud to rejoin upper and lowers.

HTH

Marty
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #10

Thanks M&EM. That's just about exactly what I did. Clip nuts are what I called extruded U nuts. It waqs a whole lot of work, but I managed it. OTOH, trucks are a lot easier than motor homes.
I got the new compressor and installed it. Naturally, it was the rear belt. And charging is not going as planned either. It turned out the needle valves on my gauge hoses only work one way, which was the opposite way from "as shown" in the instruction manual. MADE IN CHINA! I should've known! LOL!

Tags
class a, dolphin