Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

Easy Oil Change?

Recently purchased a new-to-me 2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE with a 20,000 gas workhorse chassis. Took it to the dealer for an oil change and was shocked to find it cost $140+. Does anyone out there change their own oil, and, if so, how easy is it to do, and where would I find some instructions?

Thanks in advance.

2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 31'
pattieatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

Have you got up under the unit to see the oil filter and on top to see the oil filler? If you can see them you can do it yourself. Look on your bill because most times the total includes fluid checks with top offs and grease in all the zerts. You need that every time you do the oil so it might have been a better price than you think
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

If you can change oil in a car the MH is just as easy...and you don't have to jack it up as it's already high...at least mine is...

From start to finish and cleanup takes me 30 minutes and 1/2 cigar. I end-up doing mine twice a year. $16 for oil, $5 for the WIX filter. I do all the prop-shaft and suspension zerks once a year with a hand pump.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have done 99% of the oil changes on my vehicle for the last 35 years.

Are we talking about a V10 Ford engine?
First, find that oil filter which is easier to get to, the end of the filter or are you mainly seeing one side of it?

__________________________________________________ ____________
If you can get to the end use one of these $9.02

Sears.com

__________________________________________________ _____________
if you can really only get to the side this is one of the best $15.??

Sears.com

I found these at Sears' website. You can get them at other places as well.
With both of those there are not many filter you can't remove.

I also highly recommend the Fumoto drain valve. its makes oil changes cleaner.
You can find these valves on ebay, amazon and other places.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

There should be lots of room to work underneath and no need to elevate the rig. Use the search window at the top of the page to read lots of info on oil changes for a 8.1 L engine.

You can choose between 1, 1&1/2, and 2 quart oil filters, adjust oil refill as needed

You can choose between dino and synthetic oil

You can replace the drain plug with a fumoto valve to make it much easier

I do my own oil changes, some RVers claim to use Walmart successfully for oil changes on gassers.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattieatte View Post
Recently purchased a new-to-me 2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE with a 20,000 gas workhorse chassis. Took it to the dealer for an oil change and was shocked to find it cost $140+. Does anyone out there change their own oil, and, if so, how easy is it to do, and where would I find some instructions?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same Rig. Very easy to change. You'll need 15mm wrench, oil filter wrench and a large drain pan. Tony
Tony in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I change my oil and transmission fluid along with the filters. Both have a drain plug you remove to drain.

The Allison transmission has a filter just like an oil filter that you can change while you are under there.

I lift my front end up and put two 10 ton jacks under the front axle.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

I have done since I bought it used as I could not find anyone locally to do it.

Turns it about the same as doing it on a car or truck.

Helps if you have a "helper" to hand you tools, rags, etc ( I cant convince DW to comeout and help though)

Only issue I have come along in is refilling. I don't have enough space to refill my old with one of those gallon jugs and it is a PITA to try to do so with a funnel, so I just buy the quarts.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the Futomo valve. I installed one for a friend with a Ford chassis because you can add a tube to one version of the valve and bring it out over a cross beam that the oil hit when drained.
Worked great and I planned to put one on my Workhorse chassis. Before I did I ran over a road gator from a truck tire. It flipped up and whacked the oil filter so hard it tightened so much that I had a heck of a time unscrewing it. The way the gator came up and hit the filter it very easily could have hit a Futomo valve. For that reason I did not put one on my rig.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

Just installed the Quick drain valve on my '13 Winnebago when I ordered online I ordered the safety clip that should prevent the lever from opening up accidentally.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I change the oil in ours all the time and grease the chassis at the same time. The only thing I can suggest to make it a bit easier, is to use the 2 quart oil filter. It's much easier to access when changing it out. Other then that it's a pretty straight forward job. Takes about an hour to change the oil and grease the chassis. Of course I take a look around at other areas of the chassis when I'm under there. Good Luck and by the way doing it yourself should run about $38 give or take a buck or two. Mobil 1 Synthetic and the amount icludes the filter.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattieatte View Post

Thanks in advance.
Pat I had that very same question, except I just purchased an 04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and need to change the oil. Never done it yet but need to learn that as well as where to grease the chassis while I am under the rig anyway. Any help out there would be appreciated.
To note: I am a picture kind of guy :-)
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Pat I had that very same question, except I just purchased an 04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and need to change the oil. Never done it yet but need to learn that as well as where to grease the chassis while I am under the rig anyway. Any help out there would be appreciated.
To note: I am a picture kind of guy :-)
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	307
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	69504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	210
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	69505