Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
sent my ecm to brazel's on fri had it back by the next wed and i am very happy! it lowered the heat around the engine so much. way before the reprograming on a trip i had crawled under my voyage to see what the burning plastic smell was and burnt my hand on the frame of the m/h 4 feet back of the engine, unbeliveable heat near the engine. i installed taylor wires (which i now don't need) at the time of reinstalling my ecm and went for a test drive. i ran I77 south and notice a viberation or missfire and after 30 miles i found a spot and pulled off to check the plug wires, #3 was off. in checking all wires, i notice the m/h frame around the engine was not hot, i could even hold my hand on it. i continue for 60 more miles on two lane up and down wv roads and the engine temp was normal and the cooling fans never came on. the outside temp was 63, and i drove it hard all the way. on my return it was all two lane, same deal. i am a HAPPY CAMPER. the engine area around my 8.1 is now cooler than my outher vehicles. my wife noticed the doghouse cover is not even warm, when it use to be hot. i never checked my gas mileage, anything will be better than the 5 i was getting. i just can't understand why workhorse put out equipement that you have to go to afermarket to fix. now i have to save for the new air box, to replace my stock air box that leaks and sucks water. i had the air box off and could see crackes everwhere it was put together, but i am happy with BRAZEL'S work.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
sent my ecm to brazel's on fri had it back by the next wed and i am very happy! it lowered the heat around the engine so much. way before the reprograming on a trip i had crawled under my voyage to see what the burning plastic smell was and burnt my hand on the frame of the m/h 4 feet back of the engine, unbeliveable heat near the engine. i installed taylor wires (which i now don't need) at the time of reinstalling my ecm and went for a test drive. i ran I77 south and notice a viberation or missfire and after 30 miles i found a spot and pulled off to check the plug wires, #3 was off. in checking all wires, i notice the m/h frame around the engine was not hot, i could even hold my hand on it. i continue for 60 more miles on two lane up and down wv roads and the engine temp was normal and the cooling fans never came on. the outside temp was 63, and i drove it hard all the way. on my return it was all two lane, same deal. i am a HAPPY CAMPER. the engine area around my 8.1 is now cooler than my outher vehicles. my wife noticed the doghouse cover is not even warm, when it use to be hot. i never checked my gas mileage, anything will be better than the 5 i was getting. i just can't understand why workhorse put out equipement that you have to go to afermarket to fix. now i have to save for the new air box, to replace my stock air box that leaks and sucks water. i had the air box off and could see crackes everwhere it was put together, but i am happy with BRAZEL'S work.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wow, your 5 mpg is the lowest 8.1 mileage I've ever seen reported.

I get 7-8 mpg towing a Honda Civic and I run I79-US19-I77 from Pittsburgh.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i have never gotten 6 and comming back from florida two weeks ago i once got 4 something of course i run the speed limit or a little over. i don't poke around.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
4 something!! ~75 cents a mile for gas!

Coming up from FL to Pgh the first week of April I got 7.1 mpg towing my Civic. I also ran the generator about 10 hours and this is not included in my mpg calc. I also ran the dash AC some. I'll exceed 65 mph when passing but usally stay at 65 or a little less. I'm 38' 11" and have a 5.86 rearend ratio.

These are not average mpg readings from the LCD dash panel. My figures are calculated with a MS Excel spreadsheet. I keep very detailed records.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I ran 61 MPH at approximately 1900 RPM today Northbound on the I-95 from South Carolina through North Carolina exiting at X41 in Virginia. I'm writing this from the South 40 Campground just south of Petersburg, VA. Ya have to check out Nino's Italian Restaurant here in the campground.

May I have a drum roll please! The best I saw today was 9.1 MPG and I was typically running 8.7 to 9.0 all day long. This while towing the Vue, in cruise with dash air.

This motorhome amazes me every time I drive it and I can't think of nothing more that I would rather do. (within reason of course)

Next stop, Urbana, VA.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #7

I travelled from california to forest city with a similar rig to mine last year. All the way on the cb he kept telling me he was reading 8.5 and better on his readout. Whenever we filled up at the end of the day we both took the same amount of gas and we never got over 7mpg. -John

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
WOW, uz guyz with those big 38' hogs are now into the Trek mileage. I'm dying to get the ecm done now. I know i'll see 11 + mpg.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
WOW, uz guyz with those big 38' hogs are now into the Trek mileage. I'm dying to get the ecm done now. I know i'll see 11 + mpg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're speaking of me, I have a stock ECM and everything else.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">WOW, uz guyz with those big 38' hogs are now into the Trek mileage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JESTME13: it ain't da length, it is da weight dats killin us! And the biggest factor of all is speed! I get very slightly over 8 mpg only when I slow down to 60 instead of the barely 7 mpg at 65-68 mph. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know speed makes a huge difference in mileage, anytime I've been able to keep it below 60mph I get much better mileage then I do over 60. But work is a fact of life right now and I only have so much time to do the things I want to do where I want to do them, which means most of the time I'm going 65mph or more! That's why I'm so happy about the Ultrapower upgrade, even at speed it helps me get better mileage. I know I would get even better if I stayed around 55mph but I haven't got enough time for that right now!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Edgray, I realize it's the weight with the big rigs, Ya'll can't get around that without MORE POWER is why the lighter Trek does better mileage wise right off the bat, and I believe we have a taller rear ratio

TomN, why would you think I was talkin to you, I was clearly refering to Bro DriVer and his heated up HOG. You and I can discuss power upgrades in person this weekend, since yer parked next to me.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ya Know EZ, I wonder about that with the ultrapower, Mike may have move the sweet spot up a few MPH. Your best mileage may not be snail speed. Ya need to play around a bit to see.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> TomN, why would you think I was talkin to you, I was clearly refering to Bro DriVer. You and I can discuss power upgrades in person this weekend, since yer parked next to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Parked next to me?? Not unless you'll be at Sharps Rally Campground in Shelocta, PA. I'm not going to Lancaster. I wish I was.