Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody got A EFILive Scan Tool? (engine code reader) I got one and still trying to download software, my disc came blank. A new disc is suppose to be on it's way. The company is located in New Zeland. I did't know that when I ordered it. I just wanted to read the engine codes, but I may have more than I can handle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody got A EFILive Scan Tool? (engine code reader) I got one and still trying to download software, my disc came blank. A new disc is suppose to be on it's way. The company is located in New Zeland. I did't know that when I ordered it. I just wanted to read the engine codes, but I may have more than I can handle.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ron,

Just get a ScanGauge & send the thing back to NZ.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second what Mike says. The Scangauge can be velcroed to the dash and will let you see 4 gauges (of about ten choices) or trip computer functions or read trouble codes. You can move it to other vehicles also. Price is right too. Around $160 as I recall.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
well i actually got the thing working with the help of my DF. It has about a Jillion more info than I was looking for. It is the first half of the EFILive Tuneing Tool. It gives you all the info any any shape or form, needed to change the tune the ECM, without the ability to change anything, except reset codes. The Tune Tool cost about $300. more. Computer people would probably like this. I did notice an knock (ping) deal, that would tell your engine parameters when it knocks. For my use I wish I had gotten the Scantool mention by Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
I will second what Mike says. The Scangauge can be velcroed to the dash and will let you see 4 gauges (of about ten choices) or trip computer functions or read trouble codes. You can move it to other vehicles also. Price is right too. Around $160 as I recall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just installed the Scangauge in our '05 Dolphin and find that the power is always on even with the battery switch disconnect off, since it pulls power from the chassis battery. So, it appears that one cannot leave the unit plugged in while parked for any length of time. Am I missing something or is this how the unit works?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you mean the display is on all the time? If so it's not supposed to be.

When the display is off it draws very little current. When it's on with the backlight set for white and full brightness it draws about .100 amps.

I leave mine plugged in all the time. However there are so many parasitic (keep alive) current drains on the engine battery anyway that it will discharge in about three weeks. I have a BatteryMinder float charger that I connect to the battery when we are stopped for more than a week or so to keep the battery charged.

Just a note about the Scangauge and the BatteryMinder; with the BatteryMinder connected the Scangauge will intermittently come on for a few seconds.
The ScanGauge will come on when it senses a 0.3V or more change over about a 1.3 second period. It sees the voltage change when the BatteryMinder decides to increase the battery charge current to keep the battery topped off.

I don't see this as a problem but it sort of annoys my wife who can see the ScanGauge from her recliner.

If your display is staying on it could be defective or it could be seeing a voltage change for some reason. Something connected to the engine battery would have to be responsible for the variation.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
Do you mean the display is on all the time? If so it's not supposed to be.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clay L,

Yes, the display stays on when the MH is not running. Looking at the back of the connector on the SG cable I noticed that some of the male pins are pushed in while others stick out farther. Is yours like that? The functions do appear to work but I had to unplug the RJ45 style plug from the display so it would not remain on. Even without the backlight it remains on while plugged in. I may have to play a bit more to see what is going on. Also, when plugging the SG into the MH the connector does not seem to click/lock into place but rather just pushes on. There is some kind of blue plastic piece attached to the MH OBD receptical that seems to keep the cable from going on all the way - not sure what that is for.