Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Engine compartment air flow...

I’ve seen a few threads on this, but nothing that showed me what I’m curious about.

My 2002 Damon Intruder on a W22 chassis is a great coach. We’ve put 50,000 miles on it in 5 years with very few problems. Never have had an engine cooling problem, but the floor over the dog house always seems hot despite my adding additional insulation. I plan to add some ram air type ducts to push cool air to the back of the engine.

I’ve read about a 3 piece “cooling kit” Part numbers W0005312, 5313 and 5314 that are apparently designed to force more air through the cooling pack. My coach does not appear to have these 3 pieces as the areas around the radiator are wide open.

My question really is, do those pieces improve engine cooling by forcing more air into the cooling pack - and - does anyone have a photo of how they are positioned on the coach? I’m a big fan of anything that provides better cooling and increase air conditioning performance, but I’m not sure how they fit!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Workhorse service center installed my cold air kit under warranty after I had the 2nd episode of burnt spark plug wires. Soon after that I had the UltraPower engine mod installed and never had a burnt wire again and now it's 100,000 miles later. The plug wire that was most susceptible to excessive heat was the next to rear plug on both sides.
The key to keeping the engine running cool is to make sure the rubber dam is intact all around the radiator so that max air flow is thru the radiator. But that won't make your engine shroud any cooler.

Happy Trails,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2634.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	296299   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2637.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	296300  

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That’s a simple looking fix.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskfleet View Post
I’ve seen a few threads on this, but nothing that showed me what I’m curious about.

My 2002 Damon Intruder on a W22 chassis is a great coach. We’ve put 50,000 miles on it in 5 years with very few problems. Never have had an engine cooling problem, but the floor over the dog house always seems hot despite my adding additional insulation. I plan to add some ram air type ducts to push cool air to the back of the engine.

I’ve read about a 3 piece “cooling kit” Part numbers W0005312, 5313 and 5314 that are apparently designed to force more air through the cooling pack. My coach does not appear to have these 3 pieces as the areas around the radiator are wide open.

My question really is, do those pieces improve engine cooling by forcing more air into the cooling pack - and - does anyone have a photo of how they are positioned on the coach? I’m a big fan of anything that provides better cooling and increase air conditioning performance, but I’m not sure how they fit!
IF the 3 pieces you are talking about is the "air dam" that SHOULD be around the top and sides of the radiator stack, then YES the addition of them is definitely recommended. The entire purpose of this "air dam" is to force more air thru the cooling package, rather than allowing it to "escape" around and over the radiator. However, this reduced air flow to the engine area under your dog house MAY increase the temps in that area a few degrees.

FWIW, I think the "cold air kit" that Bill (DUNER) shows in his pictures is not what you seem to be asking about. There is a difference between the "air dam" and the "cold air kit " that WCC came up with to help with burnt SP wires, usually near the back of the engine. THAT problem was especially bad on certain WBGO models due to the design of the grill openings, but lots of other coaches also needed to "CA Kit" which is essentially 2 funnels and 2 hoses that direct additional airflow towards the spark plugs.

TO DUNER: Hi Bill, its always good to see you here. FWIW, one of your pictures seems to show the "funnel" actually mounted to the radiator or one of the condensors. If so, that is the first time I've seen it done that way. On my 2010 Suncruiser, WCC added the "CA Kit" to help cool the SP wires, but the funnels were mounted to the lower portion of the grill, and not "behind" any part of the cooling equipment, where I would think the incoming air is "hotter".
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You guys are both awesome. Bill, your old post on the cool air hoses is where I got the idea for “ram air” hoses to the back of the engine compartment. The actual Workhorse kits doesn’t seem to be available even from Ultra any more.

Ed you are correct. It’s the rubber seals that apparently go across the top and sides of the radiator that are confusing me. There are no “air dam” pieces of rubber on my coach at all. Ultra has all 3 pieces available but I have no idea how the should be mounted, especially the one that would go across the top.

Thank you both for such quick responses!
Old 08-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hopefully the pictures come through. Never posted pics before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9B5256FE-08F7-4531-AD11-A7231FF9F689.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	296396   Click image for larger version

Name:	1A812D88-11E7-488D-95DA-64EE018A3703.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	296397  

Name:	01E04116-C40F-4396-87AA-0B701B7D8FD5.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	296398  
Old 08-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two small holes on each radiator bracket. I’m I correct in guessing that is where the side baffles mount?
Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added the rubber pieces to block airflow from going around the radiator after I bought my used '03 Mountain Aire gas W22. There were some remnants of the original sheet rubber that had obviously been cut away for some reason. This was around 2012 and the rubber was still available and I got it from Ultra RV. I had a shop install it and it was in no way a custom fit. They had to do some cutting of the rubber and attached it with self tapping screws. It is not one continuous sheet as installed. Not pretty, but fairly effective. There are still some spots where the air can get through, but I have not had any spark plug wire issues.

If you can't find the original part anywhere, I would say purchase some sheet rubber that is thick enough not to flex too much with the air pressure, yet thin enough to cut. Attach anyway that you can. Be sure to leave a space for access to the dipsticks at the top.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are not having an engine cooling problem, why not try putting a throw rug or two over the engine cover from inside the coach to help combat the heat coming thru.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We’ve adapted to the heat over the years, but never really gotten it down to a tolerable level with insulation under the floor, rugs, etc. We also had an epic battle with our cab AC to get it working which it does pretty well now, but it could be better. My hope is that improving air flow through the cooling pack will improve AC performance as a side effect so to speak. I figure if Workhorse said it needed to be there, it probably needs to be there. I’m also hopeful that the cab will absorb less heat with the ducts in place And be easier to cool when we get parked.

I’ve ordered some brake air duct kits to route fresh air to the rear of the engine and I’m about to order the side pieces from Ultra. I’ve got some shower pan liner left from a different job that I think is strong enough and easy enough to work with to custom fab the top piece.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I don’t know how I’d keep the old coach on the road without this forum.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #11

The air ducts will help cool while going down the highway but they will not do much while stopped. If this is an issue, then you might think about installing a bilge type blower(s) inline to circulate fresh air around the engine. You could manually switch it on or maybe even have a thermostat automatically switch it on when temperatures got high in slow moving traffic and after stopping.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have any of you removed the air intake horn and placed a CAI to open up the radiator for more air flow.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Here's pictures of the air dam as installed by the factory. Never been touched by me or service center. I think it's kind of a sloppy looking install.

The other photo shows the air intake tuba removed and the S&B air box over to the side. A little hard to see just beyond the coolant recovery tank. I didn't install the S&B to get better air flow to the radiator but to get the advantages of CAI.
Happy Trails,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0810201824_Burst01.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	296728   Click image for larger version

Name:	0810201823.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	296729  

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the pics! I doubt mine will look that good but I’m gonna try it this weekend!

Tags
air, engine