Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #1

Engine cutout

I just moved from one campground to another today and experience some engine problems. The RV had set since November, but I started it monthly and ran it for at least 20 minutes each time.
Today, I'm driving along and the power from the engine decllines and a message comes on," reduced engine power". The gas pedal was dead, but the engine was running. I pulled to the side and shut the engine off. It sat for about 3 minutes, I started it and all was fine. However, the engine block icon on the dash is on. I made it to the cg, but wonder what happens next. Any help out there?
Rich Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rich,
Would you please us your year of coach--how many miles on your coach? When was your fuel filter last changed? If the engine is running normal at idle and will not respond with pedal and cuts out it could be a blocked fuel filter. Just a guess on my part with the info that you have provided.

Woodyk
2004 Allegro Bay
W22 chasis
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

Sorry, I should have included that data. I have a 2004 Coachmen with 8.1L. I had the fuel filter changed in July of 09, 2700 miles ago. The idle is an issue when I approach a stop light, but when I kick it into neutral, no idle problem. Could the gas be stale?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
The 8.1 is notorious for burnt plug wires, and when one goes bad you lose power and can barely climb hills. Is your power reduced still, or is the power level okay?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #5

The power is back right now and I did go about 3 miles from the dead pedal spot to the cg. The engine block icon is still on, but power okay at this point.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you might have got some bad gas. Do you have a spare fuel filter that you can put on to elimnate a blocked filter? I had a t-bird and filled her up and unfortunately I pumped in water/mud/fuel--had to flush the tank and replace the filter to get all the junk out of the system. Also look at you plug wires at stated in another blog--My allegro doesn't have the problems but allot of other coaches don't have enough air flow to the two rear spark plugs on both the left and right side of the engine block. How many miles on your coach??

Woodyk
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Hi Rich

The engine symbol on the dash is the Check Engine light.

That light will come on when there has been some sort of problem with the engine that effects emissions.

Clearing the problem does not normally turn the light off right away but it may clear after 30 or so ignition cycles depending on what the problem was.

My advise would be to have someone check the stored codes from the computer to see what happened.

You could also go to AutoZone, or Pep Boys etc. to get a code reader, read the code, and then do the repair if needed if you are handy.

The code reader plugs into the multi pin connector right below the steering wheel under the dash.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #8

My coach has just turned 40K...I shall go to Pep or VIP and see what happens. Thanks guys, I appreciate your knowledge and help.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Pratt View Post
My coach has just turned 40K...I shall go to Pep or VIP and see what happens. Thanks guys, I appreciate your knowledge and help.
The 8.1L engine on the Workhorse chassis is "best" diagnosed using a Tech II which any Workhorse Service Center will have in their tool box. Chevrolet and GMC facilities will also have them as well. Pep Boys ... maybe not.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Rich from MA.
In years past engine power down was caused by water getting through the air intake and through your paper air filter and spraying the MAF sensor.
Some of us have removed the cause and installed a CAI Filter system.
This link will explain what the MAF is and how to clean.
If you don't go direct to MAF scroll down to it.
Have you ever changed the filter or had this problem before.
Oemy has other information that maybe of interest to you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #11

Thanks 007, that makes sense. I did experience some strong rains in the last couple of weeks, so perhaps some got in?? Going to a Tech II as suggested as soon as I find one and see what's up. You guys are great and thanks a lot.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Rich;

Here's my 2 cents: I agree with "007" and with the explanation of the MAF link that he provided to Oemy's website. We were in Alaska this past summer and drove thru lots of rain. My engine experienced occasional hesitation and finally, on a leg from Fairbanks to Tok while in the middle of nowhere, the "check engine light" went on. It would not go off, but we drove the rig 80 miles or so to town (Tok) where a local mechanic put the code reader on. It read an emissions problem. A new MAS was ordered...it was not a Workhorse, but a Delphi at about a $150.00 which was a good price for Alaska. I did not have a repeat of the problem, except for a few engine hesitations when we got off the Alaska ferry at Prince Rupert, BC and were driving in some very heavy rain thru the British Columbia mountains. The check engine light did not light again.

After arriving home, and 11000 miles of travel, I changed the plugs and found the old ones to be in need of replacement. The rig runs great now. My plans are to get rid of the stock air filter and replace it with the CAI sold by Brazels.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Since it seems to be related to driving in wet weather, would it make sense to try to "shield" or reposition the MAF from getting wet? Anyone tried? 007 mentioned a CAI filter system? Haven't had this problem yet, but I'd like to avoid it.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #14

I would suggest looking into a "Scan Gauge II" this device plugs right into your OBD II port and allows you to get information from your vehicle's computer like the driver information center on the newer vehicles. (RPM, oil, water,trans. temp, fuel to empty etc) In addition you can read real time trouble codes and capture operating condition and reset as needed.
You can plug it in and use as an auxilary gauge on your dash. Google it for more info. Not a commercial but I got mine from JC Whitney.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote