Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Engine missing 8.1 Workhorse

Just got to Arkansas, first trip. Engine was missing on our first fill up and the STP additive seemed to fix it. Now we are in the Ozarks and it is missing and underpowered at times. There is a flapping sound from the A/C vents at low speed too.

Some say get a fuel filter. It's not on the frame where the books says. This is a W22 8.1

Where is the plug in for the computer analyzer if we can find somebody to work on it?

Who should we look for to do this work?

Ideas? this engine only has 13K on it.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may have plug wires going bad. It has been a issue on these engines due to heat in the rear of the motor. I use Techron which is made by Chevron for poor fuel issues and have not had problems as of yet. It does work with the current fuel available now. It does clean. I hope this helps.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look for your OBDII computer access under your dash near the steering column.

Drive it to your local Autozone or Advance Auto Parts store. They have a code reader and will read it for free for you.

As far as the flapping sound in your AC vents, Make sure all of your Vent modes work- Defrost, dash, floor, floor and dash. See if the flapping noise changes with the different modes. Could just be something that fell inside the vent. Maybe you can take the vent cover off and look inside?

The fuel filter is on the driver side frame rail. Near the rear wheel. It looks like this or it could be just a one piece filter with 3 ports. This is the new part number, most Chevrolet dealers will have one, or can get one for you.

Thank you for the picture Oemy.
http://www.oemys-performance.com/index.htm
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
You may have plug wires going bad. It has been a issue on these engines due to heat in the rear of the motor. I use Techron which is made by Chevron for poor fuel issues and have not had problems as of yet. It does work with the current fuel available now. It does clean. I hope this helps.
''

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My fuel filter is behind a bundle of wires, just rear of the back wheels. Drivers side. hard to see until i clipped the quick ties to move the wires. Also I replaced the plug wires first, that helped some, then I replaced the plugs. that fixed the miss.. So, i recommend, wile doing it just replace wires & plugs.. Save going back a second time
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
My fuel filter is behind a bundle of wires, just rear of the back wheels. Drivers side. hard to see until i clipped the quick ties to move the wires. Also I replaced the plug wires first, that helped some, then I replaced the plugs. that fixed the miss.. So, i recommend, wile doing it just replace wires & plugs.. Save going back a second time
Plugs wouldn't likely need replacing at 13K, would they?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
You will find your engine in the front, under the hood. I second the burnt or melted insulation on some of the spark plug wires. The spastic vent flaps could be as a result of the sputtering engine. The vents are operated by vacuum, so an interruption of negative pressure in the intake manifold could cause the vents to close against the springs then pull open again when the vacuum resumes. There should be a tank to accumulate vacuum and smooth this out, so you must be really missing! A stop at a parts store and a quick analysis at the OBDII port should tell you if the misfire is from bad wires or a vacuum line off or melted should show up. Good luck with it, let us know what you find.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I also agree that you may have burnt plug wires . Mine were the two rear on the drivers side. Some have had problems on the pass side. There are several posts on this issue. I think if you do a search under" burnt wires " many will show up. That is assuming your ignition wires are bad. I found that turning wheel all the way left, it made access easier to reach the wires on the drivers side. A little tidbit my wire problem showed up at 13K. You need to pull the plug wire to see if there is a problem.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have much the same problem. Misfire, costing me MPG big time. I did a visual inspection of the wires and all look quite normal (Bit of dust no evidence of melting, over heat or burning) Problem is on the right bank, (hear it clearly if back by right rear wheel (exhaust) not at all if on the left side).

I"m thinking fuel injector.. Any comments?

Fed it a bottle of Lucas Injector Cleaner.. No joy.

Do not notice it missing under acceleration or at speed, but that may be more "Do not notice" than "not missing".
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
wa8yxm, wires can look O.K. on the outside, but broken on the inside. The only way to test is to remove them and use a multitester on them to see if they have resistance. A new set of wires aren't that much, at the same time I'd change the spark plugs to see if there is any deposits on them, carbon build up, etc. all good diagnosis to find a miss.
Spark Plug Analysis

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
All diagnostics good at Branson motorcoach works. They think it's fuel filter and can't find one anywhere. They are getting the new filter redo from Texas overnighted....big money for part and shipping, of course.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
I have much the same problem. Misfire, costing me MPG big time. I did a visual inspection of the wires and all look quite normal (Bit of dust no evidence of melting, over heat or burning) Problem is on the right bank, (hear it clearly if back by right rear wheel (exhaust) not at all if on the left side).

I"m thinking fuel injector.. Any comments?

Fed it a bottle of Lucas Injector Cleaner.. No joy.

Do not notice it missing under acceleration or at speed, but that may be more "Do not notice" than "not missing".
If you think its the passenger side, just pull the #6. sp wire off the plug, if it doesn't pull in half put it back on and go to the other side and pull #5 off. One of these will probably pull in half and you found the problem. IMO buy the cheap wires, the glitzy expensive one melt even faster.
Some shops are not familiar with WH burnt wire problem and you will be paying them to practice on yours and maybe expensive unnecessary parts.
If I was home I'd repost pics of my expensive .409 wire that did not last 2 hrs.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not realize it until this afternoon but Oemy sells the new fuel filter and adapter kit. Here is a link

Oemy's Web Site - Oemy's Product Catalog

I knew he used to sell the the adapter to use on a standard fuel filter, but when Workhorse couldn't get the old 3 port fuel filters they stole his design and now Workhorse sells the adapter with a standard 2 port fuel filter kit posted above. So he stopped selling his adapter, and now sells the workhorse kit for a good price. It fits all "W" series with 8.1L engine. The "P" series use just the 2 port fuel filter available everywhere.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse