Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

Engine oil level low message

We have a W21 2009 Workhorse chassis Winnebago Sightseer 35J. One month after we got it a computer message <engine oil level low> came on. We checked to oil level...its ok. We took our motorhome for the first oil change and the Workhorse dealer checked the oil pan sensor, he disconnected the sensor and asked me to check if message gone, it was still there. They concluded that the computer is the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks
AlainLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. Just one and you done did that already (Check with an expert) Since I do not know how the sensor works (Open or closed for "low" I'd guess it's "closed = low" since the service tech disconnected it, There are only 4 possible issues, 2 have been eliminated

1: Oil really is low (You checked, NOTE... Your dipstick could be too long and the oil really low)

2: Bad sensor (Tech says, not, I won't argue with him, one assumes he knows what he is doing)

3: Bad computer (OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4: Bad wire in harness.. (This one, either short or open, can be fixed easily if you can find it)

By they way..... My money is on item #4
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe that if the tech at a workhorse service center says it is a bad computer, have them fix it on warranty and let them worry about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2008 UFO has a front computer, and a rear computer. I had several computer problems that several shops could not find until the motor quit completely.
The problem was a loose connector between the front and rear computers.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
paz

I suspect a bad sensor. I don't think disconnecting the sensor is a valid way to test it. If the system is designed properly, it should be "fail safe." This means if the sensor fails or a wire comes off, you will get a low oil warning. If it were the other way around, the sensor could fail and you would never know it. If you didn't know the sensor failed, you could run low of oil and not get a warning.

I had a bad oil level sensor in our motorhome when it was brand new. Workhorse didn't even have a part number listed since the sensor comes with the 8.1 liter engine from GM. If you determine your sensor is bad, check with a Chevrolet or GMC dealer for the part. My local Chevy dealer even had the sensor in stock, so it must not be that rare for it to fail.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #6

probably not computer as that is way rare. sensors are cheep cheep cheep made in cheena, and way more likely. even the wire theory #4 is way more likely. I hear tech's say its the computer quite a bit, and it has never been the computer.