Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Engine overheating? Or bad temp gauge?

Merry Christmas everyone,

I purchased my first RV, a 2005 Fleetwood Flair 34F on a workhorse chassis over the summer. Everything ran beautifully the first couple of months, but recently the cooling system hasn't been able to maintain its previously normal temperature, which was just below the "halfway" mark on the gauge. The gauge has been, for the most part, rising steadily as before, but now it comes to rest about 3/4 of the way up towards the overheating zone, and sometimes even stops one tick mark from the overheating zone. However, once or twice when starting the engine after sitting for a day or more, the gauge would jump straight to the halfway point immediately (within a second), and then continue its journey higher. This makes me think it may be an issue with the temp gauge. But either way, it's taking all the fun out of driving my new RV, constantly watching and worrying about the engine temperature. Has anybody had similar experiences with the 8.1L workhorse?

I checked the engine coolant reserve (while parked level) and it shows just below the full cold line with the engine having sat for a few hours. I opened the radiator cap to top it off just in case, and the coolant level literally sat right at the opening of the filler cap, so I couldn't have possibly added more if I wanted to. Am I doing something wrong there?

Any thoughts or advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JohnKimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

You could get one of these and know the exact temperature along with lots of other information.

I suspect you may have a bad gauge.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be your radiator cap or thermostat. Mine was over heating I changed the radiator cap and added coolant all is well now. I also suggest that you get a scan gage.

2017 Fleetwood Discovery 37R, 2014 Honda CRV toad.
JFreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

Until you prove otherwise, it's generally a pretty god idea to assume it's overheating. Guessing on gauges and sending units and associated wiring while the engine is cooking itself is not a real good plan.

Start with the basics, like coolant level. If it's beyond your skill level to do the diagnostics, don't guess. Get it in to somebody that can handle it for you.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A few simple things have been mentioned. I really like the little hand held infrared temperature sensing gauges. All you have to do is point and shoot to get the temps. It's great to verify temps if you have questions.

As suggested change the cap. It's very important that the cap work to raise the boiling point of the coolant. They don't often go bad but when they do they can cause problems.

After you change the cap try a run and using the infrared gauge check some temps to verify if you are actually getting to hot. Once you verify the situation you can take the next step (s) if needed.

TeJay
Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #6

Without a chart of where to check temps and baseline readings to compare, I don`t think an infrered gauge is going to help most R/V owners.
He doesn`t even mention if there are numbers on his gauge, making me think it`s just a colored line, with red being bad.

Someone else suggested taking it to a trusted shop. I think that is a better course of action, in this case.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

I agree, take it to a shop to confer on the "Actual" temp. Could be just a bad sending unit and or a little low on coolant. Just a side note, most of these Gas motors run around 195 to 201 degrees any way. And yes a bad cap could lower the boiling temp to low. Everyone who has an RV that is motor driven either gas or diesel should have a scan tool on board, use it two times and it's paid for itself.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKimball View Post

However, once or twice when starting the engine after sitting for a day or more, the gauge would jump straight to the halfway point immediately (within a second), and then continue its journey higher. This makes me think it may be an issue with the temp gauge. But either way, it's taking all the fun out of driving my new RV, constantly watching and worrying about the engine temperature.

I'm with you on the constant worry. I do the same when my gauge starts to move beyond it's normal position. To me your description of the gauge jumping straight to half way after just starting sounds like a faulty gauge. If you can't get that fixed, I would definitely purchase a Scan Gauge.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKimball View Post

I purchased my first RV, a 2005 Fleetwood Flair 34F on a workhorse chassis over the summer. Everything ran beautifully the first couple of months, but recently the cooling system hasn't been able to maintain its previously normal temperature, which was just below the "halfway" mark on the gauge. The gauge has been, for the most part, rising steadily as before, but now it comes to rest about 3/4 of the way up towards the overheating zone, and sometimes even stops one tick mark from the overheating zone. However, once or twice when starting the engine after sitting for a day or more, the gauge would jump straight to the halfway point immediately (within a second), and then continue its journey higher. This makes me think it may be an issue with the temp gauge. But either way, it's taking all the fun out of driving my new RV, constantly watching and worrying about the engine temperature. Has anybody had similar experiences with the 8.1L workhorse?

I checked the engine coolant reserve (while parked level) and it shows just below the full cold line with the engine having sat for a few hours. I opened the radiator cap to top it off just in case, and the coolant level literally sat right at the opening of the filler cap, so I couldn't have possibly added more if I wanted to. Am I doing something wrong there?

Like the others, sounds like you may have a faulty gage and "most" code readers such as the SGII will read coolant temps off the OBDII port. I also suggest you read tip # 4 here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...ons-71705.html
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
If it's jumping up halfway while stone cold then the sending unit/sensor is most likely faulty. It's internally shorted intermittently.

To replace it, you'll need to do a little detective work. In 2005 in the 2500/3500 trucks powered by the same engine the ECM used the signal from the sensor to activate the gauge in the factory cluster. But I don't know if workhorse used the factory gauge cluster. If not, there's probably another sending unit just for the cluster.

To replace it, you'll drain the coolant. Since you'll have the coolant out now is the very best time for some TLC. New thermostat, new belt(s), replace the fan clutch if equipped, new hoses and check the water pump. Sounds like a lot, and isn't necessary but is good peace of mind for not an extreme amount of money.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My service manual shows one ECT sender. So if the sender is bad, a Scan gauge will get the same bad info.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Actia instrument panel gets it's info from the engine computer not directly from a sensor. The gauge is actually a glorified idiot light with three or maybe four indication positions.

You can run a diagnostic test on the IP. The instructions are in the service manual for the IP.
I attached the pdf file do you should be able to download it from this post attach it but if that doesn't work it can be downloaded HERE

As stated above a Scangauge will give you the temp the IP is seeing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Actia Dash Cluster Service Manual.pdf (806.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
To say that an infrared gauge won't help much for RV owners because you don't have any baseline temps is little confusing. Pull the dog house off and check all around the engine block checking for temps as it gradually get hot. Check the temps at the top of the radiator where the engine water comes in from the block. Check the temps coming out of the thermostat housing, that will be the opening temp of the thermostat and the engine coolant as it enter the radiator. You'll get some idea if it is actually overheating or if the temp gauge is not accurate. Once you have some info you can make a better educated guess.

It is absolutely perfectly accurate no but it's better than no idea at all.

TeJay
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would pick the by pass port on the water pump for the most current temperature as it is always circulating block/head temps. regardless of thermostat status.

Tags
heating