Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Enigine start and run problem

I own a 1997 Winnebago on a 1996 Chevrolet P30 chassis. 7.4L gas engine, 4
L80E transmission. This thing has a gremlin in it that I have not been able to find.
Sometimes the engine will quit and will not restart, although it cranks over. I have an Actron brand auto scanner that I hook up but it shows that it will communicate with the vehicle. Someone told me that if I leave the ignition switch in the ON position for ten minutes, the ECM will reset and it should start. I have done this and, in fact it does start and the scanner will communicate but no codes are shown while the engine runs or off with the switch in the ON position. Then sometimes it will restart and sometimes not.
I have fully charged good batteries, fuel and oil levels are good, and the gas cap is tight. The ground wires from the batteries to the frame is clean and good. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, oil pressure sensor, ignition control module, coil, distributor cap and rotor, and the constant duty solenoid. I have also checked all the fuses and relays.
I have seen posts here about faulty ECM,s. Has anyone ever heard of an issue likes this. I would greatly appreciate any input that anyone has.
Thanks, fred 481
fred481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred481 View Post
I own a 1997 Winnebago on a 1996 Chevrolet P30 chassis. 7.4L gas engine, 4
L80E transmission. This thing has a gremlin in it that I have not been able to find.
Sometimes the engine will quit and will not restart, although it cranks over. I have an Actron brand auto scanner that I hook up but it shows that it will communicate with the vehicle. Someone told me that if I leave the ignition switch in the ON position for ten minutes, the ECM will reset and it should start. I have done this and, in fact it does start and the scanner will communicate but no codes are shown while the engine runs or off with the switch in the ON position. Then sometimes it will restart and sometimes not.
Smoke had the same problem this weekend out in Phoenix. Talk about being upset. It's just very weird sometimes.

I had an extended crank event once upon a time but I had an excuse, we were struck by lightning. Lucky for us, it cleared itself and the machine has been starting reliably ever since.

Perhaps if Jon picks up on this thread he may offer some type of remedy or suggestion.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fred, Have you looked at the plug at the ignition switch for discoloration?

Mike
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I would start with replacing the fuel pump relay. Give Alan a call here at Brazel's in the morning and he should also have some good suggestions!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

My F53 Ford was very hard to start. Turns out the fuel pump check valve was not holding pressure. What I did to get it to start was either leave it "On" for about 10 second or turn it on/off a couple of times. It would then start. Don't know where the check valve is on you engine, but it is a thought.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Fred, Have you looked at the plug at the ignition switch for discoloration?

Mike
Thanks Mike,

All of the plugs on the switch look. When I tested the original one, I was getting a voltage drop. I took it apart and found burned contactors on the RUN position. That,s why I replaced it. Then I found that I was only getting 11.5 volts through the switch. I cleaned the ground connection between the batteries and the frame and then got a good 12.5 volts. Still got the GREMLIN in there somewhere.
Fred
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
I would start with replacing the fuel pump relay. Give Alan a call here at Brazel's in the morning and he should also have some good suggestions!
I called Brazel's RV and spoke with Ben, Allen, and John. They are sending me a pre-programed ECU. WOW, what fast and friendly service. I live in Florida, and if I am ever in Washington I will stop by and give them my personal thanks. What a great bunch of folks.
I'll let everyone know how the new ECU worked out when I install it.

THANKS,
Fred
Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
fred481,

That is outstanding! Thanks John and your team.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
That is outstanding! Thanks John and your team.
The Brazels RV Performance Team has been a sponsor here for 5 years or so and we appreciate having them. Just about everyday, regardless if there is the possibility for business or not, Jon puts our member's concerns first and has done a wonderful job over the years.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred481 View Post
I called Brazel's RV and spoke with Ben, Allen, and John. They are sending me a pre-programed ECU. WOW, what fast and friendly service. I live in Florida, and if I am ever in Washington I will stop by and give them my personal thanks. What a great bunch of folks.
I'll let everyone know how the new ECU worked out when I install it.

THANKS,
Fred

I finally got around to replacing the ECU this weekend. It was a piece of cake. It starts now every time, even when I have let it run awhile.
Before I removed the original one, I checked to see if it would start and don't you know, it would. I tried it several times and it would start every time. That's the same thing it would do before sometimes. I hope this new unit does not leave me stranded somewhere.
I will be sending the old original unit back to Brazels RV. I was told that they could test it to confirm that it is bad.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Fred481