Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Greetings Group: Some time back, I recall reading a series of postings regarding problems with the Evans/Tempcon electronic water control valve utilized in the AC system for Workhorse Chassis.
I have a 2003 National Dolphin LX on the Workhorse W22 Chassis. A while ago, the AC started blowing hot air only. I contacted the dealer where I bought the unit and which I have an extended warranty with. They advised me they were so backed up it would be months before they could address the problem. I called them again last week and they said I would be scheduled for the first week in January. They said it would be necessary to leave the rig for at least a week since they would have to remove the existing freon and pump in freon with a yellow dye in it to find any potential leaks. They would then have to "let it sit" for the leaks to be found. I find this hard to believe. Further, the Evans/Tempcon web page recommends testing the water flow valve first by clamping off the supply line from the engine to the A/C unit.
Now, that being said, I have three questions.
First, where exactly, is that valve located? I have looked on both the engine and the Black Box on the firewall and do not see any valves. Could that valve be in the Black Box on the firewall?
Second, how do you "clamp off the supply line" without damaging the hose?
Third (and last), has anyone ever heard of having to pump out the existing freon and pumping in a test freon?
Sorry this is so long winded. Thanks for your time.
Bob in Sacramento, CA
Sacramento Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Greetings Group: Some time back, I recall reading a series of postings regarding problems with the Evans/Tempcon electronic water control valve utilized in the AC system for Workhorse Chassis.
I have a 2003 National Dolphin LX on the Workhorse W22 Chassis. A while ago, the AC started blowing hot air only. I contacted the dealer where I bought the unit and which I have an extended warranty with. They advised me they were so backed up it would be months before they could address the problem. I called them again last week and they said I would be scheduled for the first week in January. They said it would be necessary to leave the rig for at least a week since they would have to remove the existing freon and pump in freon with a yellow dye in it to find any potential leaks. They would then have to "let it sit" for the leaks to be found. I find this hard to believe. Further, the Evans/Tempcon web page recommends testing the water flow valve first by clamping off the supply line from the engine to the A/C unit.
Now, that being said, I have three questions.
First, where exactly, is that valve located? I have looked on both the engine and the Black Box on the firewall and do not see any valves. Could that valve be in the Black Box on the firewall?
Second, how do you "clamp off the supply line" without damaging the hose?
Third (and last), has anyone ever heard of having to pump out the existing freon and pumping in a test freon?
Sorry this is so long winded. Thanks for your time.
Bob in Sacramento, CA
Sacramento Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be able to find the water lines that lead to the heater. Start up the engine and wait until it has warmed up. Feel the water lines while the control is in the off setting. If warm, you have a bad valve or leaking. Then turn on the heater and feel again. They should get hot. For a test, you can just use a set of vice grips to clamp the line. Will do no harm to the line. As for the freon leak, I have to leave this to the experts.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sacramento Bob, welcome to irv2.
Bob if you would go to "Find" just above you and type in "evans valve" you will have 27 posts on this valve problem, leave in check mark. You can see the valve outside of black box of AC/Heater like mentioned by Bigdaddy your two heater hoses are there also and one of them is going into this valve. Some people have called Evans and they have sent them a new one others have replaced with a ball valve used in heating systems you just have to manually open and close for which ever season your in.
Dealer is not on board.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #5

S. BOB: Welcome to iRV2.com

You should find what looks like a black plastic square box with electrical plug on the backside installed in one of the two heater hoses going in and out of the ET box. Hose clamps are all that hold this box in the hose. I suggest you simply remove it and plug the hose with a dowel or other solid object( a bolt for example) which will allow you to clamp the hose and prevent to the flow of hot water to the heater core. IF this then allows your A/C to blow cold, then the valve is the problem and should be replaced. IF you install a manually operated ball valve, then you won't have the ability to vary the temp. coming out of your vents. You will simply have heat or NO heat.

As for "clamping off the hose", without removing the valve-you can break off two short pieces of a flat paint stirrer or similar piece of wood to protect the hose from the jaws of the clamp.

Chances are good that your installed plastic valve body is defective and should be available from ET or your coach builder. It is not a WCC component. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #6

Bob, National RV replaced my valve at no cost at the Dolphin Rally in Quartzsite.

To solve the problem temporarily, I removed the control mechanism from the valve and operated it manually. The mech is held in place by a couple of screws.

Bob, wa7hra
Old 11-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob:
My National Seabreese XL 2004 has the same AC/heat problem. So far, I have had success with turning the Thermostat on high for a few minutes, letting the Hot water run through the valve. I then turn the Thermostat to cold and the heat stops. I did this two weeks ago in North GA, to get in cool fresh air (not AC air). I just think, that the coolant makes the valve stick, especially when not used.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats a good idea Bob, running the hot water thru valve, must loosen up valve so it will close off the hot water,will have to try it, must sweat alot before you can get the air on full.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote