Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #1

Exhaust doughnuts

Replaced both exhaust doughnuts (7/16/21)

Passenger side one blew while in southern Ca. back on the 11th July (my planned start day to return home). Replaced both but was unable to replace the springs and nuts. Roll forward ~1400 miles...after returning to Renton, Wa. the passenger side one was nearly gone again. I noticed the nuts were bottoming out prior to applying any tension via the springs to the flange-pipe allowing for a leak.

Pulled the pipe down on both sides again and replaced the springs and nuts. Also applied lots of copper seize on everything. Once done I started the engine a few times to heat cycle everything and re-check. All nice and quiet now.

Used Fel-Pro doughnuts.

Also have on order an EGR (electric driven) and a trans filter (will change the trans fluid).
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jegzls980o...B1%5D.jpg?dl=0

The one on the left was the one I replaced in southern Ca. The one on the right was what was left of the new one after my return home ~1400 miles (HB,Ca. - Renton, Wa.)

After returning home I dropped the pipe again and installed new springs and nuts. It turns out the springs were 1/4in shorter than the new ones not allowing cinching of the flange against the flare on the pipe to seal. If you do this job replace the springs and nuts and apply lots of copper seize to everything not just the threads on the stud.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #3

Had to look up 'doughnuts' as never heard the term, flange i have heard, or exhaust flange coupler - but did correctly guess what you might be referring to.

Surprised they go out if made of good material & correct size (metal), should likely last as long as mufflers do unless taken apart ?

ps: had a catalytic converter 'blow open' going down road, boy was that noisy, not too bad off power but on power awful - sounded like a silly high school boy's exhaust or something.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
Had to look up 'doughnuts' as never heard the term, flange i have heard, or exhaust flange coupler - but did correctly guess what you might be referring to.

Surprised they go out if made of good material & correct size (metal), should likely last as long as mufflers do unless taken apart ?

ps: had a catalytic converter 'blow open' going down road, boy was that noisy, not too bad off power but on power awful - sounded like a silly high school boy's exhaust or something.
They will if the springs have not shortened and lost their spring tension.

When I purchased the new springs the old springs were close to 1/2in shorter than the new ones. Some of the old ones literally had no tension at all when the engine was cold and could be easily slid up/down between the nut and flange. This would cause the doughnut to not seal allowing for air to enter creating a superheated condition on the doughnut burning them away.

Remove the flange old spring and nuts for any reason? New ones go one. Use lots of copper seize when putting back together.

Tags
exhaust