Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today left the house to pick our new car from an RV dealer who installed a new tow plate on it.

ABout 3 miles from the house we smelled something and then the coach filled with water vapor.

I stopped to check and found that the water pump housing had a crack and water was spraying from it.

I called WH roadside service and they said to slowly drive it back to our house and call them when we arrived home.

I called and now we are waiting for the tow truck to arrive. Our nearest WH service center is about 40 miles away.

We are glad it happened now and not down along I-95 on our way top Florida in few weeks.

Waiting....
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today left the house to pick our new car from an RV dealer who installed a new tow plate on it.

ABout 3 miles from the house we smelled something and then the coach filled with water vapor.

I stopped to check and found that the water pump housing had a crack and water was spraying from it.

I called WH roadside service and they said to slowly drive it back to our house and call them when we arrived home.

I called and now we are waiting for the tow truck to arrive. Our nearest WH service center is about 40 miles away.

We are glad it happened now and not down along I-95 on our way top Florida in few weeks.

Waiting....
Old 11-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
That's too bad you don't hear that happening very often! Good news is that you're still under warranty.

Let us know how the entire service process goes forward and how that went.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ABout 3 miles from the house we smelled something and then the coach filled with water vapor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
BUMMER, DUDE! I hope that is NOT your reward for becoming our NEWEST MODERATOR!

Congratulations on joining our merry band of mods, and good luck with the repairs, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:59 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the motorhome has been towed to my nearest WH service center, about 45 miles away.

The tow operator crew told me that when they were attaching the lift mechanics they noted that the serpentine belt was gone and water was dripping from the shaft of the water pump.

This seems really to be an odd and unusual occurrence...how often do we hear about bad water pumps and belts these days especially with only 10,815 miles on it???

In order for them to disconnect the drive shaft for towing, they asked me to put the transmission in neutral, When I did that the IP display showed a message that said "Check engine oil" Hmmm, maybe the oil temp went too high with this problem. I will have the oil changed to be safe.

Now I sit at home and nervously wait.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As the saga continues....

I just got a call from the WH service center.

It will take a new pump AND a new radiator !! Something punched a hole in the radiator.

Cost $1600 and 2 weeks !!

We will have a discussion about my share as I suspect I am buying a new radiator if they cannot assign a cause.

WOW !!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #7

Take a real close look at the hole/dent in the radiator for rubber shreds (from the thrown fan belt).
Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
Take a real close look at the hole/dent in the radiator for rubber shreds (from the thrown fan belt). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the WH Service center manager said he was looking for collateral damage and will try to assign it to the warranty claim. I think he is on my side.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
Yes, the WH Service center manager said he was looking for collateral damage and will try to assign it to the warranty claim. I think he is on my side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think so too!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
It's not that he is on your side, it's the fact that they punched the hole in the radiator trying to get the water pump off and don't want to take the blame.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
It's not that he is on your side, it's the fact that they punched the hole in the radiator trying to get the water pump off and don't want to take the blame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Aww comon! Not fair!

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
It's not that he is on your side, it's the fact that they punched the hole in the radiator trying to get the water pump off and don't want to take the blame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not believe so. They found the problems by conducting a pressure test of the cooling system before removing anything.

To me, your comment is out of line.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ted,

Do you have aftermarket insurance??? They may cover that radiator.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Isn't the radiator covered under the 3yr, 36000 mile warranty? And why did the fan belt break? And what caused the hole or leak in the radiator? And why does it take 2 weeks to get a new one and a water pump?
So many questions!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote