Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Fan clutch noise

What would you do if you thought you were having excessive clutch fan noise or engagement? This is happening on a friends 2004 Dolphin on a W22 chassis. He is an experienced auto mech. but knows little about the W 22 or any WH products. He does not have a scan gauge for exact engine temps and thinks his air dam is in good shape.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
make sure it is the fan. I am on my third air conditioner compressor because of the clutch which makes noise.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
What would you do if you thought you were having excessive clutch fan noise or engagement? This is happening on a friends 2004 Dolphin on a W22 chassis. He is an experienced auto mech. but knows little about the W 22 or any WH products. He does not have a scan gauge for exact engine temps and thinks his air dam is in good shape.
Pat, How is the coolant level in his recovery tank? We have a feature here called How The Motorhome Coolant Overflow Reservoir Works
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may be of some interest. It's from a 1995 service manual but it may provide an approach.
My last coach was a 1995 P30 with a 454 and the service manual had a procedure for checking the fan clutch. They said to measure the temp of the AIR coming out of the radiator. I used a metal meat thermometer. I had to drill a small hole in the plastic shroud around the fan so I could get the thermometer between the fan and the radiator.
They said to block the radiator with cardboard and run the engine at about 2000 RPM to get the engine to heat up.
The fan will spin before it's fully engaged, but it's obvious when it engages because of the noise.
It should engage at an air temp between 165'F and 195'F. If it doesn't it should be replaced.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #5

Please clarify your first statement. Is the "problem" we are to address the frequency at which his fan clutch is engaging, or are we to address a noise coming from the clutch (seperate from the roar caused by the fan itself) ? Thanks, ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the responds. Fluid level is OK. Gary the owner is a good mechanic, the WH chassis is new to him and he is wondering if their all as noisy as his. His fan clutch does seem to engage more than mine does so the freguency it engages is the problem.
I have a scan gage so maybe we'll play around with Clay's idea of heating the thing up.
Thanks
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #7

If his air dam is not the cause of frequent clutch engagement, then you need to determine the temp at which it is engaging. These clutches are simple devices, but have been known to need replacment.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Scanguage II and my clutch fan comes on consistently at 206 degrees coolant temperature and goes off at 200 degrees in less than 30 seconds. While the fan operation is not controlled by coolant temps, there is a correlation between the temp of the coolant and the air temps thru the radiator. I also had one of the electric condenser fans quit working and this increased the frequency of the clutch fan coming on when using the dash air. Hope this info helps.

Dave
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the OP is asking if the fan clutch should be as loud as it is. I would have to say yes. When we first got our RV and we were bring it home, the fan clutch kicked in and sort of freaked me out. It sounded like a jet was flying over. My wife asked if the RV was ok? Having a friend who is an RV tech I asked him if the fan should be this loud and he said yep!

What I did and it helped a ton, was to line the whole engine compartment and even under the dash area which can be seen from under the front hood, with B-Quiet Ultimate sound deadening. B-Quiet is like Dynamat but much cheaper. Now when the fans kick on, you know its on, but it sounds more like my Chevy Silverado fan and not a jet engine. Also I have notice about a 25% drop in engine heat on the floor compared to before I added the B-Quiet.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote