Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2005, 05:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone have a quick and easy fix for the engine fan hitting/rubbing the lower radiator shroud on the W22 with the 8.1L and Allison trans? I'm on the second lower half shroud and both have a hole worn in the bottom from the engine fan rubbing. Sounds terrible also! Appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2005, 05:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone have a quick and easy fix for the engine fan hitting/rubbing the lower radiator shroud on the W22 with the 8.1L and Allison trans? I'm on the second lower half shroud and both have a hole worn in the bottom from the engine fan rubbing. Sounds terrible also! Appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Rick
Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #3

Boy that's a new one. I've never heard of the issue on the Workhorses. I'd suppose the "fix" might be to remove the lower half & redrill mounting holes that would give you clearance. But before doing that, I'd be tempted to call WCC and/or Winnie, especially if you've got a new coach within warranty. (Or your dealer if you recently bought a "new to you" used coach).
Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rick, I dont know what is causing the contact.However, in the absense of collision damage, it is usually an improper, or bad motor mount, or something ( Radiator, incorrect fan spacer, wrong fan)miss-installed..Has the original fan or fan clutch been replaced?Whoever replaced the original shroud, should have determined the cause.. I would not let this go unsolved, a blade coming off the fan assy. is a serious deal, usually causing real havoc under the hood, and even lethal damage to observers or bystanders..I would encourage you to get it solved NOW.. Big trouble lurks...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Generally it's sagging (or broken) motor mounts unless something was seriously misailgned during construction.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #6

Our 03 Dolphin had the same problem, we bought it used in Oct. 04,and I discovered it shortly and pulled it out of play with a wire until I had the brake recall done in Jan. where it was replaced under warranty. It looked to me like it was a manufacturers defect, I could not get the service center to comment.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #7

Rick, on my 2002 W-22 when the techican was working on the evaporator, he noticed the shroud was worn caused by the fan hitting it, he called Workhorse and they replaced it with a heavier( thicker) shroud, the original ones were flexing to much causing the problem. Ed.S
Old 04-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do Not drive it until you get it fixed. Our fan came apart going up the Grape Vine on Interstate 5. What a noise and vibration. Big boy tow had to get us home. Repair shop says we were not the first to have the fan come apart. Seems the lower shroud flexed under fan load and hit the fan causing it to break apart. Also check the radiator mount to the frame. Ours was broken on the drivers side, this could have aided in allowing the schroud to move out of center.
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #9

.....and check motor mounts....broken shrowd is a sign of motor mount failure....geofkaye
Old 08-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #10

We have a 2003 Dolphin on a 2002 workhorse. We were 55 miles north of Mojave CA on our way to Bishop when the rediator fan broke (one blade). It's now at Desert Truck in Mojave (Hope they are good). Only 15002 miles and first problem with the chasis. Didn't look at the lower part of the shroud.
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #11

TwoOfUs

I believe Desert Truck in Mojave is an authorized Workhorse repair facility. Our friends had their MH repaired there last May and they received excellent service and a reasonable price.

Best of luck.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Dang Rick - I lost your email and didn't look far enough to see your post, so I added my own. The solution is a simple 3/8"x3/4" self tapping bolt.

The problem is the bottom edge of the shroud is held in with 2 clips. This allows the shroud to flex up and down. With no more than a 1/4" clearance the fan will sometimes hit the shround.

If DriVer wants to move my new post here he can.

I have posted some pictures.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That has been an ongoing problem. I had the same thing. My service center had at leat 20 of the lower halves in stock for this very reason. WH change it under warranty. Motor mounts, are good just bad placement on some. I did notice that they added an additional tec screw at the bottom to hold it away from the fan this time.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #14

Just got our Dolphin back from Desert Truck. Fixed the fan and performed brake recall work. The shroud was not the problem, just a bad blade. All work done in two days, great service, great people. If you need mechanic in the vicinity of Mojave CA - go to them.
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote