Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
fan question

All day today we have had a fan cycleing on and off. It's about 83 degrees but my temp gauge is in the center. Is this typical and would it be the electric fans or engine driven? Sounds like a plane taking off. Ran perfectly and have had a good day. Just wondered about the fan. Thanks. Russ Bennett.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDP View Post
All day today we have had a fan cycleing on and off. It's about 83 degrees but my temp gauge is in the center. Is this typical and would it be the electric fans or engine driven? Sounds like a plane taking off. Ran perfectly and have had a good day. Just wondered about the fan. Thanks. Russ Bennett.
Russ this would be your fan clutch that is kicking in and out. This fan is mechanical and runs off the engine. Yes the airplane sound is the perfect example of what it sounds like. I'm assuming this RV is new to you? Becuase this fan noise is common and you will hear this fan turn on and off through out your drive. BTW I insulated the whole engine compartment with B-Quiet sound deadening and it made a real difference.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDP View Post
Just wondered about the fan.
Russ, That's one sound that you do want to hear. When my fan clutch goes off I feel reassured that everything is working OK!

You can sound insulate your doghouse and floorboards as suggested if it gets to be too loud for you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
KSDP,

Did you have your dash air on or the house air? Using the dash air seems to make the clutch fan cycle more often. When I first got the coach I didn't use the generator and house air going down the road. When we went out West in '07 the high heat and altitude forced me to use house air and now we do that almost exclusively. It eases the load on the motor and is much more comfortable thru out the coach.

If you are using the dash air open the hood and make sure both fans are on. One fan comes on immediately and the other cycles. The second fan quit on our coach which made the clutch fan work more often. The clutch fan comes on when the air temp gets to 150 or so coming thru the radiator.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. The noise isn't bothersome. I just didn't know if it was normal. Previous ones didn't seem to come on unless it was on the verge of overheating.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just for your info the fan clutch will lose 10% of it's working value every year it is in use. If as i see your unit is an '05 so it's rated working capablities are now @50%
I change my clutch fan @ a three years. also take out the dex-cool antifreeze ( orange)since it only creats mud in the radiator and flush the system then use yellow prestone 50-50 mixture. R&R the fan clutch and thermostat then all your worries go away.And yes it is normal to have the fan clutch cycle.
ARROWVP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROWVP38 View Post
Just for your info the fan clutch will lose 10% of it's working value every year it is in use. If as i see your unit is an '05 so it's rated working capablities are now @50%
I change my clutch fan @ a three years. also take out the dex-cool antifreeze ( orange)since it only creats mud in the radiator and flush the system then use yellow prestone 50-50 mixture. R&R the fan clutch and thermostat then all your worries go away.And yes it is normal to have the fan clutch cycle.

Wow! I can't wait for my rig to get 10 years old. No more roaring noise when the Visco fan hooks up!

Sorry, with all due respect, I do not agree with the above post. My Workhorse is seven years old, the radiator is not full of mud, and the fan still drops the engine coolant temp when it engages,(fan and coolant are original) and it is still LOUD. I would not dispute your right to do whatever you feel is right in maintaining your own motorhome, however your advice in the above post isn't for me.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
the fan still drops the engine coolant temp when it engages,(fan and coolant are original) and it is still LOUD.
Dieselclacker
I love that LOUD sound, and watch how the temp drops back to normal.

Here lately though, my fan seems to come on at different temperatures. It used to come on around 211 to 213, which was pretty normal for my engine, but now the temp has been getting up to almost 215. It still comes on and drops the temp back to normal, but I have noticed a slight increase in temp before fan engages. Not always but just sometimes.

Should I have anything to worry about? Getting ready for a trip to the mountains in mid July.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 10% factor was stated on the box my P30 chassis replacement clutch came in . And I believe it.

Mike
Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 10% factor was stated on the box my P30 chassis replacement clutch came in . And I believe it.

Mike

I hope you are wrong, but what does that mean? Mine is 5 yrs. old now. Does that mean the fan blows 50% less air per min, it only turns half as fast as it used to, or it turns on half as often, or the blade pitch is bending to half of what it used to be

I know mine is as loud as it ever was and it seems to come on quite often, especially if the AC is on. As far as cooling the engine, how do you guys know that? My temp gauge seems to be welded right in the middle.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, As I remember it would lose 10% of the maximum rpm of the fan. They never do really lock up to water pump speed. 1,500 rpm rings a bell, but my bells been rung too much..

Mike
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
---------
As far as cooling the engine, how do you guys know that? My temp gauge seems to be welded right in the middle.
Max,
I believe the ECM locks the gauge to the mid point once it senses a normal operating temperature.(190-220?). The actual temperature the ECM sees can be accessed via OBD2 port or with a external water temp gauge. I use a AutoTap scan system which does show the temperature to vary with load and response to the cooling fan. All the while the in dash gauge stays locked to the center point. It is basically an IDIOT GAUGE. But if the engine temp does go above a certain upper limit, I have seen the gauge indicate the over temperature. This happened once after shutting down too soon after a workout. Restarting showed the heat soak effect with the gauge almost to the red line. Came down real quick and got captured in the middle again.

Marty
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Max,
I believe the ECM locks the gauge to the mid point once it senses a normal operating temperature.(190-220?). The actual temperature the ECM sees can be accessed via OBD2 port or with a external water temp gauge. I use a AutoTap scan system which does show the temperature to vary with load and response to the cooling fan. All the while the in dash gauge stays locked to the center point. It is basically an IDIOT GAUGE. But if the engine temp does go above a certain upper limit, I have seen the gauge indicate the over temperature. This happened once after shutting down too soon after a workout. Restarting showed the heat soak effect with the gauge almost to the red line. Came down real quick and got captured in the middle again.

Marty
Same thing with my UFO as verified by comparing the temp reading by Scan GaugeII through OBDII port and the dash gauge. This appears to be now commonly done on alot of vehicles to prevent alot of people from freaking out about normal temperature variation. But I don't like the approach since you get very little warning about a real problem. Greg
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too monitor the engine temperature via a Scan Gage II. When the fan engages, it takes less than a minute to see the temperature begin to drop. Engine is back to normal in very short order, depending on ambient air temp. Its LOUD, and still works very well. When it stops engaging, or when it locks up, thats when I will replace it. I am a believer in preventive maintenance, but come on, a new fan clutch every three years, .

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote