Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if you've been anywhere recently that uses road salt or chloride but up north here that white looking powder or something very close to it shows up in cracked welds, cracked frames, cracked steel & aluminum truck wheels as well as cracked brake rotors and drums again on trucks and I'm sure cars and pick ups as well.

It's a curse of driving up north in snow country.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Obviously we have spoken at length about "the drill." Drive, evaluate the performance and if required pull over and allow those huge chunks of cast to cool down.
Interesting that you mention that DriVer. AFter I had the caliper failure I started driving like there's an egg under that brake pedal, downshifting well before stops, leaving plenty of space between me and traffic for more stopping distance, sneaking cautiously up on traffic lights. It's now been months since I had the recall done and I'm still driving that way! My "new" brakes should last forever!!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
I knew someone would notice that grease fitting hasn’t been touched in quite some time.
Who me ???
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper View Post
My "new" brakes should last forever!!
My son Tim just got a new job with a trucking company. He's running a quad axle dump, Mack with an Allison automatic. He's been doing this now for about a week and he tells me, Dad I'm still going through the motions of stepping on the clutch! He tells me that all he has to do now is get in the truck push "D" and point. Can't play truck driver anymore .... also tells me that his truck does not have a "Jake" or an exhaust brake. This he does not like but he said .. it is what it is.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Tomorrow is the test. I will be moving 15 miles down the road tomorrow. I have to travel the same stretch of accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, over and over again. We will see if I have any brake issues then.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Tomorrow is the test. I will be moving 15 miles down the road tomorrow. I have to travel the same stretch of accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, over and over again. We will see if I have any brake issues then.
Meander along at 40 and let people go around you.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Full-Timers;752492]Tomorrow is the test. I will be moving 15 miles down the road tomorrow. I have to travel the same stretch of accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, over and over again. We will see if I have any brake issues then.[/QUOT

The brakes will run a lot cooler if you try and time the traffic lights so you don't have to stop at each and every lite. Stopping a 20K coach repeatedly from 50 mph creates a lot of heat from friction, be your brakes new or old. I try and adjust my speed in situations like you describe, and like DriVer says let the rest of the traffic go around.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
[QUOTE=dieselclacker;752556]
Quote:
Tomorrow is the test. I will be moving 15 miles down the road tomorrow. I have to travel the same stretch of accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, accelerate to 50 and hard on the brakes, over and over again. We will see if I have any brake issues then.[/QUOT

The brakes will run a lot cooler if you try and time the traffic lights so you don't have to stop at each and every lite. Stopping a 20K coach repeatedly from 50 mph creates a lot of heat from friction, be your brakes new or old. I try and adjust my speed in situations like you describe, and like DriVer says let the rest of the traffic go around.

Dieselclacker
This reminds me of a funny thing that happened to us on our way to Alaska last year. It wasn't so funny when it happened though. I had a brake failure a year prior and the recall wait was in full force at the time. We were driving through Lethbridge, Alberta and were in the middle of the town. I was driving slow attempting to time my stops, when I hear the bird-like chipping from the pedestrian light. It was a nice day and all the windows were open. I'm going thru the intersection and the light turn red. Now, my rig is 33 ft plus the tow bar and the Saturn. Close to 48 feet I would say. We pull up to the intersection at the next red light- we stopped at nearly all the lights in that town. So, my wife is looking out the big passenger side window and a guy in a nice pick-up truck pulls to a stop next to us and says, "welcome to Canada, eh, in Canada we stop for red lights and he speeds off. What really torked my craw, was after he said welcome to Canada, my wife said "thanks" then he said the rest. So, I get all excited, get lost, had to turn around to get back on track and finally find the campground near the big bridge. So, I get a campsite, set up, open the door and have a drink. When you open the door to my rig, our stick on states thing is visible. Only thing is, I don't have a stick on provinces one yet. So, I'm messing around, having a toddy, calming down from our little red light incident and there are these two guys looking at me and my rig. Looks like they are staying in the CG for an extended period of time. Me being the friendly guy that I am, go over to see whats happening. They point out that the stick on states was real nice, but that I was now in Alberta, Canada and it would be nice if I had a stick on provinces one. Or course, I was at a loss for words, offered the guys a couple of Yuengling beers, told them about the idiot in the pick up truck. They said that there are just as many idiots in Canada as there was in the USA, we had a couple of rounds, and all was well with the world.

The moral of this brake- related story is: (1) It is important, in an effort to not over-heat your brakes, to attempt to "time" your stops, even in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada and, (2) Yuengling beer is about the best darn beer in the world, especially when soothing international relations!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Oh, a PS to the previous. In many town and cities across the very beautiful country of Canada, red light cameras are utilized to enforce traffic infractions. I waited for months after returning home to get a very expensive traffic ticket in the mail. It's been 18 months since that fine day and no tickee yet. So, I guess I was right and that idiot was wrong. So, its time for a Yeungling to celebrate!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
All’s well. I traveled the 15 mile stretch today with absolutely no brake problems. After the drive, I felt the wheels and they were barely warm. I then reached under and put my hand on the calipers and they were also barely warm. I guess I was just hard on the brakes the other day.
W22 Workhorse
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
All’s well. I traveled the 15 mile stretch today with absolutely no brake problems. After the drive, I felt the wheels and they were barely warm. I then reached under and put my hand on the calipers and they were also barely warm. I guess I was just hard on the brakes the other day.
Just what I figured.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at your original post makes me wonder why you would "accelerate hard to reach 50" only put the brakes on hard to scrub off the speed and then do it over and over again. Can I assume you were able to see there were further lights ahead? Prudence would suggest you accelerate gently, forget the other cars around you and use the brakes very little until you get through this stop light system, knowing that most city fathers are going to "Rig the lights" to slow you down. Whats the rush??
CharlesOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesOK View Post
Looking at your original post makes me wonder why you would "accelerate hard to reach 50" only put the brakes on hard to scrub off the speed and then do it over and over again. Can I assume you were able to see there were further lights ahead? Prudence would suggest you accelerate gently, forget the other cars around you and use the brakes very little until you get through this stop light system, knowing that most city fathers are going to "Rig the lights" to slow you down. Whats the rush??
Charles, I think he got the point and he made it in OK.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
By the way, I got my recall done on Dec 28 at Redlands Truck. I mentioned the hot brake issue and they didn’t find any problem or damage.
W22 Workhorse