Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are the proud new owners of a '05 Winnebago Adventure 38J with the W24 chassis, 8.1 with Banks Power System and we just returned from our first week long trip. We travelled from southern Ontario down to Pigeon Forge and over to Nashville and back.

We really like the 38J and other than a few teething issues I think it was a good choice. The unit had 8000 miles on it when we bought it so I thought most of the problems would have been worked out by now but not so. We brought it home in a driving snow storm on the 4th of Feb. so I didn't notice if there was an exhaust smoking problem then or not. But, when we left for our trip the black exhaust smoke was very evident. About 80 miles away from home the smoke let up a bit and then the service engine light came on. I set the computer to read instant gas mileage and it went from 3 mph to 6 to 7 mph as soon as the smoke stopped. I'm guessing that this is some kind of fuel management computer problem. Every time we stopped and restarted the engine the smoke signals would start again but each time it seemed to take less miles before the mileage on the computer would jump back up. So, on the way home I never shut the motor down until we got back. I'm taking it into the service center next week. Anyone else have a problem like this?

The only other issue I have is the wallowing it has in stiff cross winds and truck turbulence. But I guess I kind of expected some of that and I've been reading about some of the cures for it. Any recommendations?

Oh, and when we got home one of the outside duals was flat. Don't know how long we drove it like that. Turns out the stainless steel valve extension came loose on the valve stem just enough to let the air out of the tire. The service guy says they always use blue Lock-tite on them so I guess I'll be checking the others and using Lock-tite.

Gary

moderator note...linked to Workhorse Chassis Forum
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are the proud new owners of a '05 Winnebago Adventure 38J with the W24 chassis, 8.1 with Banks Power System and we just returned from our first week long trip. We travelled from southern Ontario down to Pigeon Forge and over to Nashville and back.

We really like the 38J and other than a few teething issues I think it was a good choice. The unit had 8000 miles on it when we bought it so I thought most of the problems would have been worked out by now but not so. We brought it home in a driving snow storm on the 4th of Feb. so I didn't notice if there was an exhaust smoking problem then or not. But, when we left for our trip the black exhaust smoke was very evident. About 80 miles away from home the smoke let up a bit and then the service engine light came on. I set the computer to read instant gas mileage and it went from 3 mph to 6 to 7 mph as soon as the smoke stopped. I'm guessing that this is some kind of fuel management computer problem. Every time we stopped and restarted the engine the smoke signals would start again but each time it seemed to take less miles before the mileage on the computer would jump back up. So, on the way home I never shut the motor down until we got back. I'm taking it into the service center next week. Anyone else have a problem like this?

The only other issue I have is the wallowing it has in stiff cross winds and truck turbulence. But I guess I kind of expected some of that and I've been reading about some of the cures for it. Any recommendations?

Oh, and when we got home one of the outside duals was flat. Don't know how long we drove it like that. Turns out the stainless steel valve extension came loose on the valve stem just enough to let the air out of the tire. The service guy says they always use blue Lock-tite on them so I guess I'll be checking the others and using Lock-tite.

Gary

moderator note...linked to Workhorse Chassis Forum
Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #3

Hey Gary,

Congrats on your first trip. Only 2 things to comment on. First, the black smoke is definitely oil. If the engine is buring oil, you NEED to stop driving it and get it in to the engine dealer immediately. It's running very rich at idle so your right, it could be a malfunctioning computer, but it also could be MANY other issues, fuel injection system etc..

On the 2nd issue, you might want to consider a Doran Pressure Pro for at least 6 tires (4 more if your dragging a toad). You would have been warned about the condition a long time ago and been able to fix it. Having a flat in one of the duals is a VERY dangerous situation and can BLOW the other tire very quickly which as you know is dangerous to you and everyone around you. Having it fixed may solve some of your steering issues, but a steering stabalizer will probably be in short order.

Good Miles..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when we got home one of the outside duals was flat. Don't know how long we drove it like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We had a similar experience early in our ownership. I knew I needed a good truck type pressure guage, but had not got around to getting it ...dumb. You need to be in the habit of checking tire pressure before you set out every day (I usually do my tire and fluid checks the evening before we set out after sitting awhile, then every morning while we are on the road). Then at rest stops I check tire temp with an infrared temp guage. If one is noticeably hotter than others you know you need to check further.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't believe it's an oil burning issue. Any time you have oil burning it usually shows up as blue grey in color. This is definitely black and I'm very sure it's excess fuel. The oil level didn't change after 1300 miles.

Thanks for the tip on the Doran Pressure Pro. I will check it out.

Gary
Old 03-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #6

If it were mine I would take it to an authorized Workhorse dealer and have it put on computer and see if computer needs resetting. Sounds like your computer is defaulting back every time you restart engine. It does sound like too much fuel.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Gordon:
If it were mine I would take it to an authorized Workhorse dealer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Appointment already set for 8:00 am Monday morning. If it had a carburetor I'd know what to do but not too smart about fuel injection and computors etc...LOL

Gary
Old 03-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #8

I would suspect you have a O2 sensor problem giving faulty reading to your computers on air intake and or fuel dispersment to the engine.
Could be something else but I am putting my money on an O2 sensor.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The only other issue I have is the wallowing it has in stiff cross winds and truck turbulence. But I guess I kind of expected some of that and I've been reading about some of the cures for it. Any recommendations?

Oh, and when we got home one of the outside duals was flat. Don't know how long we drove it like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand what you mean by "wallowing".
Do you think having a flat inside rear dual had anything to do with your handling problems???

My W24 handles fine.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

I don't understand what you mean by "wallowing".
Do you think having a flat inside rear dual had anything to do with your handling problems???

My W24 handles fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "wallowing" was experienced long before the flat on the OUTSIDE dual. We were driving in some heavy cross winds at 65 mph with a lot of truck traffic and I just found that there was a lot of side to side motion which required constant steering correction. Maybe a little slower pace would have helped.
I haven't found much available for chassis improvements on the W24. I'm thinking front and rear panhard bars would help.

Gary
Old 03-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Gary N.

IMHO you have a mechanical problem,it could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator,allowing too much fuel pressure which over rides the pin inside the injectors.The reason it would be bad after sitting is the injectors would bleed down raw fuel into your intake with the engine not running.It could also be a bad injector or two.The computer would lean the mixture out if the O2 sensors saw that much fuel,another reason for the smoke to disapate after driving awile.Where are you now??? Close to our Facility???
Old 03-25-2006, 05:59 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

As this is "linked" to the Workhorse Owners Forum,I would like to "fill in" the members of the Winnebago Owners Forum that might be seeing Brazels RV and/or posts from Mike Bronzini for the first time.
Mike is an active participant in and sponsor of the Workhorse Forum here on iRV2.
He will also be at the iRV2 National Rally in Tennessee this year...

Thank you Mike for all your help....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great team to deal with.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I'm about 3000 miles away from your place or I'd definitely be on your door step. I'll be taking it to the local WH repair facility here in Windsor ON on Monday morning. I'll post what they come up with.

Gary