Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #1

Several weeks ago, I made an entry on this site concerning my blowing a water pump and an engine on my 2008 Destination from Winneabgo. I notice, with interest, that others encountered the same problems, but some seems to have the problem corrected by having new parts installed.

I received a phone call from the WH District Manager of the East Coast about my problem, stating that he has found the root cause of my problem, an may very well be the same problems that other have faced earlier.

It's seems that the supplier to WH on the Fan clutch assembly (the part that controls the fan cutting on and off) changed the specification somewhere in mid-stream without notifying WH of the change and why the change. This was verified by the District Manager before relaying the information to me. The fan clutch assembly (FCA for short) also control the fan rotation thereby not having any wobbling of the fan and vibrations. Even though the software test of the on-board computer shows that the fan is cutting off and on as it should be, in fact is not cutting off at all. It is continually running putting undue strain on the water pump that eventually will crack. He is in the process of getting the parts for the specification changes and having them shipped to my repair center so they can be installed. This is not limited to the Winneabgo line of coaches in the Destination and Latitude lines, but is across all brand of manufactures of coaches that uses the UFO Chassis. It seems that the earlier models are the one affected. Until the District Manager can determine the date of the specification change, he will have to notify coach manufactures of those chassis so correction can be made. I'm told that it will take about 2 weeks before parts will be sent to my repair dealer.

In my case, with a new engine, I'm told that a short block engine was sent, in which parts was taken from the old engine and installed on the new engine. One of these part is FCA. So the old problem was transferred to the new engine and eventually the water pump was cracked again, along with the fan belt, hose, and the fan vibrations problem. Once the changes are made with the new specification parts, the problem should go away. I also understand that the newer UFO Chassis are not affected since the specifications change was installed.

If anyone has one of these older UFO Chassis manufactured sometime between Jan 2007 or even in 2007, I would suggest to them to have the FSA checked and if it one of the older models, request that the new specification parts be replaced.
gatayloe@prodigy.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #2

Several weeks ago, I made an entry on this site concerning my blowing a water pump and an engine on my 2008 Destination from Winneabgo. I notice, with interest, that others encountered the same problems, but some seems to have the problem corrected by having new parts installed.

I received a phone call from the WH District Manager of the East Coast about my problem, stating that he has found the root cause of my problem, an may very well be the same problems that other have faced earlier.

It's seems that the supplier to WH on the Fan clutch assembly (the part that controls the fan cutting on and off) changed the specification somewhere in mid-stream without notifying WH of the change and why the change. This was verified by the District Manager before relaying the information to me. The fan clutch assembly (FCA for short) also control the fan rotation thereby not having any wobbling of the fan and vibrations. Even though the software test of the on-board computer shows that the fan is cutting off and on as it should be, in fact is not cutting off at all. It is continually running putting undue strain on the water pump that eventually will crack. He is in the process of getting the parts for the specification changes and having them shipped to my repair center so they can be installed. This is not limited to the Winneabgo line of coaches in the Destination and Latitude lines, but is across all brand of manufactures of coaches that uses the UFO Chassis. It seems that the earlier models are the one affected. Until the District Manager can determine the date of the specification change, he will have to notify coach manufactures of those chassis so correction can be made. I'm told that it will take about 2 weeks before parts will be sent to my repair dealer.

In my case, with a new engine, I'm told that a short block engine was sent, in which parts was taken from the old engine and installed on the new engine. One of these part is FCA. So the old problem was transferred to the new engine and eventually the water pump was cracked again, along with the fan belt, hose, and the fan vibrations problem. Once the changes are made with the new specification parts, the problem should go away. I also understand that the newer UFO Chassis are not affected since the specifications change was installed.

If anyone has one of these older UFO Chassis manufactured sometime between Jan 2007 or even in 2007, I would suggest to them to have the FSA checked and if it one of the older models, request that the new specification parts be replaced.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will glady check on this at the rally next week.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers

There we go! On the road to resolution. I don't even have a UFO and I feel better about it for folks that do!

I knew it was something weird "because" the prototypes with the original spec FCA (I can only surmise) were run up and down mountains at all speeds all day long and they never failed.

The UFO was tested beyond testing and only then did the engineers approve the design to go to production. Why the FCA was changed and when it was changed is something that WCC is going to have to deal with the vendor. I'm hoping they recover the cost of all these to date warranty claims plus the cost of the current FCA replacements. I don't see this as a WCC fault. This type of stuff seems to happen all too often not only to WCC but other manufacturers at all levels as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The FCA was replaced on my UFO in June. Hopefully it is the new version and my problems are over. I was confident that Workhorse would find and correct the problem.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is good news. The 5,000 dollar question is...How do we find out if we have one of the reengineered clutches that needs to be changed?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #7

That's a good question. The District Manager stated that he has to get with the Vendor to determine just when that specification change was made and the FCA parts involved. I would assumed that if you had a FCA put in within the last few months, that you are OK, but if not, I would be a little leary and try to find out just when your chassis was built and also when it left the coach's manufacture to the dealer. I would say, any FCA manufactured in 2007 would be the point of cutoff and should be replaced.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #8

It was one of your comments that got my attention and I also noted that a member of the forum noted that it was a good idea that you got the FCA totally replaced. The District Manager is still trying to get from the Vendor the date that this specification change was made without their knowledge, so the correct parts can be ordered for me and installed. Since WH was unaware of the change until recently, I am sure that the part specifications change noted by the vendor was incorporated into the new FCA and sent out. Fom my understanding, the Vendor for the FCA will pay heavily for this and also for the not notifying WH of the change.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -Gramps-:
This is good news. The 5,000 dollar question is...How do we find out if we have one of the reengineered clutches that needs to be changed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Posted October 02, 2008 08:24 AM Hide Post
It was one of your comments that got my attention and I also noted that a member of the forum noted that it was a good idea that you got the FCA totally replaced. The District Manager is still trying to get from the Vendor the date that this specification change was made without their knowledge, so the correct parts can be ordered for me and installed. Since WH was unaware of the change until recently, I am sure that the part specifications change noted by the vendor was incorporated into the new FCA and sent out. Fom my understanding, the Vendor for the FCA will pay heavily for this and also for the not notifying WH of the change
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #10

My fan clutch engages quite a bit...does this mean I am stressing my water pump on my front engine chassis?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
My fan clutch engages quite a bit...does this mean I am stressing my water pump on my front engine chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No, this only applies to the UFO Chassis on which WH built the rear engine gas. Your Voyage is a front engine gas in which WH has already a reliable engine and fan clutch and water pump. I owned a 2004 front engine W22 with 22k miles on it and the engine never once failed. It went to Alaska and back and the terrains Alaska is much worst than that of the inter-states roads that we have. You're OK, good to go!

gatayloe
gatayloe@prodigy.net
2008 Winneabgo Destination 39W
Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
My fan clutch engages quite a bit...does this mean I am stressing my water pump on my front engine chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FRVer, No you are not affected by the UFO FCA issue.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
The FCA was replaced on my UFO in June. Hopefully it is the new version and my problems are over. I was confident that Workhorse would find and correct the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Since this issue pertains to those chassis manufacture in 2007, and the fact that you had a new FCA installed in June, I think you are OK, because the specs from the Vendors will show the new parts and not the old. You were wise in getting the FCA replaced when you did and that saved you a lot of headaches.

gatayloe
e-mail: gatayloe@prodigy.net
Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

There we go! On the road to resolution. I don't even have a UFO and I feel better about it for folks that do!

I knew it was something weird "because" the prototypes with the original spec FCA (I can only surmise) were run up and down mountains at all speeds all day long and they never failed.

The UFO was tested beyond testing and only then did the engineers approve the design to go to production. Why the FCA was changed and when it was changed is something that WCC is going to have to deal with the vendor. I'm hoping they recover the cost of all these to date warranty claims plus the cost of the current FCA replacements. I don't see this as a WCC fault. This type of stuff seems to happen all too often not only to WCC but other manufacturers at all levels as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is one thing to change the specs for a specific reason, but another not to notify WH of the change and why of the change. Most of the failures are occurring where a coach could have more that 5K of mileage on them (as was my case),and manufactured in 2007 and released as a 2008 coach. Maybe the vendor was thinking that those coaches would not have a problem and just forgot to tell WH. At any rate, the District Manager tells me that in my case, the entire bill for the problems of the FCA, as well as the new engine, will be passed along to the vendor to pay since they created the problem and fail to notify WH of the change and what the problem was. WH refuses to re-imburse me for lost expenses for a rally that I was to attend in Vermont this past August, but I think I will bring up the issue again and see if he can pass this off to the vendor. I'm out $400.00 and nothing to show for it.

gatayloe
e-mail: gatayloe@prodigy.net