Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday while plugging the power in my MH I noticed that my drivers side inside duel was flat. It had a nail in it and when I put air in the tire it leaked (But VERY SLOW)So I don't think I drove on it flat. I think the air leaked while it was sitting (about 3 weeks). The guys that fixed the tire inspected it and said it looked in great shape.

I have a question. If the tire had gone flat going down the road would I have noticed?

Thanks Lee

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday while plugging the power in my MH I noticed that my drivers side inside duel was flat. It had a nail in it and when I put air in the tire it leaked (But VERY SLOW)So I don't think I drove on it flat. I think the air leaked while it was sitting (about 3 weeks). The guys that fixed the tire inspected it and said it looked in great shape.

I have a question. If the tire had gone flat going down the road would I have noticed?

Thanks Lee

Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the tire had gone flat going down the road would I have noticed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LEE, I'm not a tire expert...but I believe you would not have "noticed" the flat tire inside, until the outside dual next to it had a blowout from overheating due to it trying to carry the full load. Conversely, the inside tires do carry slightly more of the dual load due to road crown, and therefore they are more likely to blow out from underinflation when neither tire is "flat". ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ewwwwwww thats a bummer. I guess that is another argument for a tire monitoring system... Which is expensive.....

Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There will be a degree of instability when cornering but you have to be sensitive to it. The perception that something isn't right is definately there.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
There will be a degree of instability when cornering but you have to be sensitive to it. The perception that something isn't right is definately there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, and wouldn't the inside dual tire heat up quite a bit?

I think its a GREAT thing that this was found while sitting.

Did they patch the tire?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks..... Yes they patched the tire after dismounting and inspection.....

I had a feeling you all would say I would feel it and I am pretty careful and aware of the driving conditions.......

Thanks a Bunch

Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends.. A few pounds, likely you would not have noticed.. A front tire much more than 20 percent flat. You would have NOTICED!!!, less than 20 percent it varies from driver to driver and from vehicle to vehicle...

NOTE: if you spend a few dollar saving dollars and pick up a Dorian or Advantage Pressure Pro (Same system for the most part) then if the pressure dropps 13 percent YOU WILL NOTICE, parked, moving, front, rear, inner, outer YOU WILL NOTICE, Trust me, Even if it is the back tire on the towed and you are in the motor home YOU WILL NOTICE. Guarenteed.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been looking a the Tire Monitoring Systems and found Pressure Pro with 6 sensors for $490.00... Wow I am not sure I can talk the little women into letting me buy one... Has anyone here used it and are you happy with it? I am looking for Ammo to give to my wife so she will see the benefit........

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Lee, It is the best purchase I feel I have made for my motorhome. Now you have spent MUCH more than that for all the upgrades to Star. You can surely spend a little on safety. Explain to the little woman what could happen if you had a blow out doing 65 MPH. Tell her about the guy I know that had a front passenger side tire blow and came up through the floor and almost killed his wife. If anything it is well worth the piece of mind. The main cause of a tire blow out is heat build up from low tire pressure. A TPMS will alert you of a low tire way before it gets to the point of a blow out. Also, you wouldn't have to be worrying about if you drove Star on the flat inner dual, damaging the outer. Don't scrimp on the 6 tire model. Go for the 10 and cover the toad too. You could drag the toad for miles before realizing you have destroyed car.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dan you make a good point. I am going to check into them further... The prices I am seeing is $600.00 for the 10 monitors... Yikes...

Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi LeeB- For your info-I purchased my 37' Mountair Aire (gas) in March of '06, in Mission Texas from the previous owner. As I proceeded north, near Corpus Christy TX, folks were passing and pointing to my left rear. The left rear inboard was flat-- I never knew it. I pulled into a truck stop and got an independent service truck to come help me. The rig had just recently had a brake recall done by Workhorse. I noticed the stainless steel braided valve extender was near, or barely touching, the wheel simulator. I asked the guy that sold it to me (while checking air pressures) how do you remove the wheel simulators to adjust the valve extenders-- he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know-you'll have to ask Workhorse how to do it". It was 1pm on a Saturday afternoon. I took off. The guy in Corpus Christy saw the braided extender cut. He just removed it, pumped the tire up to 90 psi, it held pressure and I was off again. I got maybe, 2 miles and "POW"--it blew. I limped back to the truck stop, got the service truck back, About 12" of the sidewall, on the outboard side (of the left inboard tire), was blown out-- on a 22.5" XRV "G" Michelin. He mounted the spare and I made the rest of my trip to North Carolina uneventful. I did not know it was flat.
Max H
'02 37' Newmar Mountain Aire, W-22
8.1 Vortac
06' Chevy Malibu

(In Maine now)
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #13

Lee,
I too have had problems with tires in the past. As far as I'm concerned, not my fault, but that's another story.
I looked into this tire monitoring system you talk about. Great idea!!!!

Pros: You can't put a price on your safety going down the road...

Cons:
1) Manufacturer states you will need a repeater for the toad/boat (too far from receiver)
2) Transmitters are only good for 3 years and after that $50/ea. ($500 for Moho and toad)
3) You "may" need to rebalance your tires
4) Only prevents blowout from a tire that is loosing air. How many blowouts are caused by trash on our highways?

Depending on how much time you're on the road, it may be cost effective. For myself, I'm still a working stiff and only on the road 10% of the time...
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wife and I have been talking about getting the Pressure Pro and more and likely will. But not at this time... If anyone knows anyone selling one let me know......

Thanks Lee

I am a working stiff also and like to save when ever I can....