Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marks email is mark@bwbrake.com , I made a mistake eariler.
Woodyk
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs down

My destination is the Submarine Base at St Marys Ga. I never thought that I would have to worry about how I would travel due to my lack of faith in my vehicle.
I pray that WH is reading these posts and seeing what their "wonderful" product is doing.
Another problem is that if we wanted to sell these MHs they aren't saleable with this unresolved problem.
I have just checked my vehicle again and all systems are a go. I have maintained my vehicle per the mfg. recommendations and yet I have this unsure feeling about dependability...

HOW MUCH LONGER, WORKHORSE?????

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guys, Thats why I'm investing in new calipers for I've already felt the sting in my pocket book twice and it's been over $300 each time. Yes they did replace a caliper but I had to forgo the inspection fees. So that's why I'm buying new calipers, which are loaded--all hardware plus brake pads, from B and W brake for $95 apiece. Gentlemen it's called piece of mind and I'm not letting workhorse drive my train any longer and me having to worry if my brakes are going to lock up at any minute and have to park along the interstate or somewhere downtown who knows where in having to cool off my brakes so I can now drive it to another WH service center who will stick it to me again!! NO THANK YOU--enough it enough and now that it's been confirmed that the calipers won't be replaced until June (see RVJeeper) and only the FL centers will get them first is a no brainer on my part---I'm not allowing them (WH) in preventing them from me of enjoying life any longer, I'm replacing all the calipers and will start RV'ing again in confidence. SO BE IT!!!

Woodyk
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
I'm replacing all the calipers and will start RV'ing again in confidence. SO BE IT!!!
I never objected to your inititiative in fact I applaud your decsion.

Go for it!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I totally agree with you Woodyk, however for me, it's a little late to try and order and get installed new calipers, prior to leaving for the South.
I guess I fell for the propaganda that is spewing from Workhorse regarding a recall timeline. I thought for sure that the fix would have been accomplished before this, at least that's what we were informed.
It looks more and more like a Corporate decision to delay long enough that the problem chassis get old enough to be replaced by the unfortunate customers.
I'm getting to the point, of stating that I won't ever buy another Workhorse product, due to the fact of no Mfg. support.
I don't want to hear the Company line that they (Workhorse) did all they could. It was purely an economic, (screw the buyer) decision.

HOW MUCH LONGER WORKHORSE????

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bud View Post
I guess I fell for the propaganda that is spewing from Workhorse regarding a recall timeline. I thought for sure that the fix would have been accomplished before this, at least that's what we were informed.
Bud, Can you furnish us with a link toward that propangada. I have not seen a timeline for the implementation of the campaign. We have had expectations for when Bosch would have had the solution in the box however Workhorse can't rush that process.

At this time the Dec 09 Interim Notice Update has clearly stated that the solution is at hand and Bosch is entering into the production phase.

Workhorse has nothing to gain by delaying the implementation of the campaign that was ordered by NHTSA. As Workhose does not make the calipers they, as we, are waiting for the resolution to become available. In regard to timeline - regardless if an owner sells their 2001 motorhome it is still under the scope of the federal recall and remains a candidate to obtain the resolution of the problem regardless of owner or time.

I spoke with a number of service people at the RVIA Exposition in Louisville and everyone there is anxious to get the campaign moving forward. Achieveing a long lasting solution is foremost on the minds of the people that run the service organization for Workhorse.

There certainly isn't anything that I can report along the lines that Workhorse is out to defraud their owners. They are genuinely interested in resolving this caliper issue once and for all.

I don't recall that you have reported a brake problem during your ownership. In the event that you do run into a problem while your on the road and like in the past, you have my phone number.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Bud, Can you furnish us with a link toward that propangada. I have not seen a timeline for the implementation of the campaign. We have had expectations for when Bosch would have had the solution in the box however Workhorse can't rush that process.

At this time the Dec 09 Interim Notice Update has clearly stated that the solution is at hand and Bosch is entering into the production phase.

Workhorse has nothing to gain by delaying the implementation of the campaign that was ordered by NHTSA. As Workhose does not make the calipers they, as we, are waiting for the resolution to become available. In regard to timeline - regardless if an owner sells their 2001 motorhome it is still under the scope of the federal recall and remains a candidate to obtain the resolution of the problem regardless of owner or time.

I spoke with a number of service people at the RVIA Exposition in Louisville and everyone there is anxious to get the campaign moving forward. Achieveing a long lasting solution is foremost on the minds of the people that run the service organization for Workhorse.

There certainly isn't anything that I can report along the lines that Workhorse is out to defraud their owners. They are genuinely interested in resolving this caliper issue once and for all.

I don't recall that you have reported a brake problem during your ownership. In the event that you do run into a problem while your on the road and like in the past, you have my phone number.
Was it not suggested that the fix would probably occur before the summer of 09, then it was the fall of 09, then it was by November, now it looks like June 10, this is not a timeline per se, but it did not create a happy feeling.

They certainly have nothing to gain, but everything to lose in their lack of audaciousness (Navy Descriptor) in getting the recall completed.

One has to admit that the second recall notice, was another half hearted attempt to placate the worried and concerned owners. It said nothing new, nor provided a general target date.

No, I have not had a problem with my brakes,I have had intermittent lighting of ABS lamp, which I have had checked, and replaced my brake fluid, I also procured a Thermal gun to check my hub temps. I appreciate your offer and your position on this problem. Please realize however that I am getting into the mileage zone and age where the failures popped up.

I'm talking coach age and owners age, this concern should be unwarranted if a Corporation is responsible and caring.

If this delay is the Bosch company's fault and the Workhorse folks sincerely want to fix the situation, why install Bosch brakes on the new chassis? At least tell Bosch that until you resolve this problem, we will pursue going to a different vendor. Oh, maybe that stand is politically incorrect. There are probably a lot of idle plants that could produce a caliper and certainly enough people unemployed to manufacture units.

IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bud View Post
Was it not suggested that the fix would probably occur before the summer of 09, then it was the fall of 09, then it was by November, now it looks like June 10, this is not a timeline per se, but it did not create a happy feeling.
The information that was provided to us was 3rd party at best and I can not confirm that date. Honestly I don't believe it's going to take that long, the campaign should spin up shortly. It is my opinion that it was irresponsible for the service center to tell their customer that the campaign won't start until June because I can not duplicate that information from the sources or service centers that I have a relationship with.

Quote:
They certainly have nothing to gain, but everything to lose in their lack of audaciousness (Navy Descriptor) in getting the recall completed.
They are making as many revs as they can to become engaged with the resolution of this problem in as timely of a manner as possible.

Quote:
One has to admit that the second recall notice, was another half hearted attempt to placate the worried and concerned owners. It said nothing new, nor provided a general target date.
Absent from previous documentation was the following language.

"The final remedy has been determined through extensive testing and development. Workhorse is now starting the production phase, which includes tooling for the final remedy. You will be notified again when the remedy parts are available."

In my opinion this is basically what we were looking for. This event is coming to closure and Workhorse is making progress in the pursuit of the campaign.

Quote:
If this delay is the Bosch company's fault and the Workhorse folks sincerely want to fix the situation, why install Bosch brakes on the new chassis? At least tell Bosch that until you resolve this problem, we will pursue going to a different vendor.
This isn't a workable solution that will help anyone. Workhorse told us that Bosch has a solution in the box that will resolve this situation. All they have to do is package more boxes.

To start over now will run this issue out over a couple of years in R&D, tooling, DOT certification and distribution. Bosch makes the majority of Heavy Duty hydraulic brake calipers for the entire vehicle making industry. To find a competitor that will provide a caliper for Class 6 RV chassis products and that would be willing to spend the money to produce that product would be very difficult if at all possible to get off the ground.

The RV parts business is not as big as one might think it is. There are just so many suppliers that make these things and then these products have to be profitable, affordable and perform reliably. I have had all my brake equipment replaced last year. Bosch brakes work and they work very well.

When we bought our vehicles new, we test drove them and the brakes were wonderful. My brakes remained in excellent condition all the way up until 2008 when I wore them out at 63,000 miles. I expect fully that at the end of the day that experience and confidence will return to the individual vehicle owner. I am clocking just over 85,000 miles at the moment.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #23

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
The information that was provided to us was 3rd party at best and I can not confirm that date. Honestly I don't believe it's going to take that long, the campaign should spin up shortly. It is my opinion that it was irresponsible for the service center to tell their customer that the campaign won't start until June because I can not duplicate that information from the sources or service centers that I have a relationship with.

They are making as many revs as they can to become engaged with the resolution of this problem in as timely of a manner as possible.

Absent from previous documentation was the following language.

"The final remedy has been determined through extensive testing and development. Workhorse is now starting the production phase, which includes tooling for the final remedy. You will be notified again when the remedy parts are available."

In my opinion this is basically what we were looking for. This event is coming to closure and Workhorse is making progress in the pursuit of the campaign.

This isn't a workable solution that will help anyone. Workhorse told us that Bosch has a solution in the box that will resolve this situation. All they have to do is package more boxes.

To start over now will run this issue out over a couple of years in R&D, tooling, DOT certification and distribution. Bosch makes the majority of Heavy Duty hydraulic brake calipers for the entire vehicle making industry. To find a competitor that will provide a caliper for Class 6 RV chassis products and that would be willing to spend the money to produce that product would be very difficult if at all possible to get off the ground.

The RV parts business is not as big as one might think it is. There are just so many suppliers that make these things and then these products have to be profitable, affordable and perform reliably. I have had all my brake equipment replaced last year. Bosch brakes work and they work very well.

When we bought our vehicles new, we test drove them and the brakes were wonderful. My brakes remained in excellent condition all the way up until 2008 when I wore them out at 63,000 miles. I expect fully that at the end of the day that experience and confidence will return to the individual vehicle owner. I am clocking just over 85,000 miles at the moment.
If this process started yrs ago instead of the constant denials and excuses, maybe this would have been resolved by now. But I doubt it.
After all, this is only round two
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Imo wh and some of its emplys just dont get it, still. If they would have started investigating this problem over 3 years ago( at least in my case) instead of passing the blame on us, this would have been long done. Alot of us have sunk thousands of extra dollors into our brakes just to have them fail over and over again. Then we were told it our fault because_______( you fill in the blank, they have used every excuse under the sun)so live with it and dont forget to buy some more wh brake parts. Then , thankfully we got nhtsa involved. Now most of us wont get our money back for the brake repairs because wh decided to use nov, 2007 for poss reimburshment ( and since the recall dates back to 2000 can someone explain why they use nov, 2007 date for poss reimburshment besides it will save them TONS of money)and there's no rhyme or reason for the select few that have gotten reimburshed. Nice move. It looks like unless we file small claims or there's a class action thats the way it will be. So how much money has wh saved? None, in fact In my opinion they have and will lose big time because of the way they have handled this and treated what use to be their customers. The number of folks here and on other sites that have stated they will never buy another wh is growing. Ok, I've finished my rant so let the flaming begin.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were in a upper management position in the Workhorse Corp. and I was informed by Bosch that the fix is in the box (whatever that means), I would ask for a due date when the parts would be available to fix the problem. I would then relay this on to my end users (customers and dealers) so that they can plan and expect a completion.

What we're being told is a bunch of generalizations from whoever. I only have 34000 miles on my rig, which for a commercial chassis is a drop in the bucket. I don't even consider 85000 miles to be significant for this type of chassis.

If Bosch is supposed to be the biggest supplier of brake assemblies, why can't they go on an emergency manufacturing program. Why not? because of $$$$$$.

As manager in Materials Management for one of the largest corporations in the world I knew we were able and did on many occasions change mfg. schedules in a timely fashion and not years after the discovery of a problem. IMHO

HOW MUCH LONGER WORHORSE??????

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO, Bosch should be held accountable for this mess,and as such,pay for all the bad brakes back to 2000! After all,they are the ones that sold parts that did not live up to expectations.I'm pretty sure they were aware that these brakes were going to be used on RV's.I'm sure that Bosch thought everything would be fine,BUT......It's just sad that Workhorse is getting all the heat on this,what about the manufacturers,why are they getting a pass. If my Powerstroke diesel(Navistar)breaks in my Ford pick-up,I go to Ford,not Navistar! If my Brembo brakes on the Corvette go bad,I go to Chevy! Well, my Bosch brakes have a problem,yet nobody is bad mouthing Winnebago!
IMO,we should start a Bosch Brakes thread, get the phone number of their office and put it out there,ask them what are they going to do about these bad brakes,that have their name on them? And for people like Jdsr, who have already paid for replacements,twice?
I have a horse in this race, and personaly,I'd prefer to meet Mr Bosch,in some dark alley,then Mr Winnebago!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can we assume that as we sit before our computers venting our frustrations that Bosch is, as we type, manufacturing Calipers and other brake parts, based on orders from Workhorse and other chassis manufacturers?

Can we not also assume that Workhorse is, as we type, manufacturing new chassis utilizing Bosch Brake assemblies?

Can we also assume that the fix is ready (in the box) and that all that is needed is the production thereof?

If these assumptions are reasonable and accurate, where is the problem of ramping up production and eliminating the problem of our existing brakes.

What is happening is that we are being told that everything will be hunky- dory and that after this debacle is over we will be die hard WH customers. I Think Not..

HOW MUCH LONGER WORKHORSE??????

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I thought all was well since I havn't had any problems in 3 years - changed fluid last year - but last week while driving in extreeme rain for 2 days and driving down the big hills by Mt Shasta - the right front brake started pulling and clunking as I slowed down. I used the transmission as much as possible and had the toad brakes sensativity turned up so that they came on first. Since they cooled off all seems ok but on Monday I am going to order new drilled rotors in anticipation of rebuilding the entire brake system if and when the new calipers ever come out. I just DON'T trust the rig re brakes. Why couldn't the chassie be made by Toyots. They screwed up the size of the carpet under gas pedel and instead of just cutting it to fit with a pair of sissors they are completely redesigning the brake - gas assembly and will be replacing all affectid units in the next month - NOT in 7 YEARS.
Anyway merry Christmas to all and safe driving.